cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Another Cruise With Public Mobile

For anyone that’s interested, here’s some more info on cruising with Public Mobile.

This was my second cruise using a PM US roaming add on. We were just on board the Emerald Princess 15 night Hawaiian Island cruise, round trip from Los Angeles. I purchased a 10 day US roaming add on, including talk/text/data for my Wife and I, as we were waiting for our flight from YYZ to LAX on Feb 1. The add on connected immediately at LAX and worked great in LA. On the 4 sea days from LA to Maui, we were able to text, and on this cruise, phone all our friends and relatives while connected to the ship’s network, Cellular At Sea. The call clarity was great considering we were phoning from the middle of the northern Pacific Ocean.

Our 10 day roaming package was set to expire on Feb 10 or 11. A day or so before that date, I tried to purchase the $15 talk/text package for my Wife for the 5 sea days back to LA, but that option wasn’t available. I could pick text for $8 or talk for $8, but not the package. I chose the text option for her, which still worked fine on board. Strange thing, I had no active US roaming add on after Feb 10 or 11. I couldn’t text from the ship any longer, but phone calls in and out on my phone worked perfectly right up until we docked in LA this past Sunday. Very weird. Phone service without paying for it. 

Still loving cruising with Public Mobile!

Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Re: Another Cruise With Public Mobile

Thanks for sharing!  I woiuldn't think u.s. roaming package would work because cruise ships and airlines charge a lot.  Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Mayor / Maire

@Munday

Nice report. I'd be curious to know if you need ANY roaming for the Cellular At Sea service. If they're backstopped by AT&T or T-Mobile ok maybe...but I wonder.

@cavemantoronto wrote:

Thanks for sharing!  I woiuldn't think u.s. roaming package would work because cruise ships and airlines charge a lot.  Enjoy the rest of your trip!

It’s a glitch with the Cellular at Sea system. Something to do with AT&T. I don’t get it, but it was a pleasant surprise, for the second time! Here’s my first experience:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Cruising-with-Public-Mobile/m-p/28937...

@Munday wrote:

@cavemantoronto wrote:

It’s a glitch with the Cellular at Sea system. Something to do with AT&T. I don’t get it, but it was a pleasant surprise, for the second time! Here’s my first experience:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Cruising-with-Public-Mobile/m-p/28937...

Public probably thinks it is the regular at&t network .  Consider yourself lucky!

@z10user4 wrote:

@Munday

Nice report. I'd be curious to know if you need ANY roaming for the Cellular At Sea service. If they're backstopped by AT&T or T-Mobile ok maybe...but I wonder.

Not sure. My Wife’s phone with just US roaming text add on, coming back from Hawaii, could also make and receive texts and phone calls. Tough decision to go on board with no add on, then use 15 internet min to sign in to your account and purchase one. $8 was a pretty good investment.

@Munday wrote:

@z10user4 wrote:

@Munday

Not sure. My Wife’s phone with just US roaming text add on, coming back from Hawaii, could also make and receive texts and phone calls. Tough decision to go on board with no add on, then use 15 internet min to sign in to your account and purchase one. $8 was a pretty good investment.

I hope for your vacation's sake, public mobile doesn't decide to patch this.

@cavemantoronto wrote:

@Munday wrote:

@cavemantoronto wrote:

Public probably thinks it is the regular at&t network .  Consider yourself lucky!

When we’re cruising, we always consider ourselves lucky!

@cavemantoronto wrote:

@Munday wrote:

@z10user4 wrote:

@Munday

I hope for your vacation's sake, public mobile doesn't decide to patch this

We never really intended to use our phones on board, just at ports. The glitch was discovered by chance on our last cruise.

Oracle

I have reported this same occurance a couple times.  When on cellular at sea network. No roaming package is needed as calls can be made and received without incurring the 4$/per min fee that is typically charged. Texts will not go through unless a USA texting addon is used.

I would be curious about the data if that worked with a USA data addon