cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After purchasing a data add-on, my phone says I'm 3G, although I subscribe to a 4G LTE plan

Telc
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am on a monthly 4G-2GB plan. While our home wifi was down for nearly a week this past week, I purchased 2 x 200Mb data top ups to tide me over until the wifi got back up, and i only used a small amount (4Mb or something like that) of the second purchase of 200Mb of data.   Prior to the top-up, the top-left of my phone said Public Mobile - LTE when i was not on wifi and using data.  Now it reads - Public Mobile 3G.  I am assuming this means my data is only using the 3G network and not the 4G LTE routing that I subscribe to and should be getting?

Questions: 

- is the phone telling the truth, i.e. if it says 3G, is it 3G?

- if this is true, then how do i get my 4G back

- also, will i continue to burn off my monthly 2Gb, and only tap into the remaining 196Mb of my data add on during a month that I exceed the 2Gb

4 REPLIES 4

Telc

Thanks, good to know on all counts, my LTE prob was human error in this case, but I will probably run out of LTE range at some point.

Telc

Great, that got it, somewhere in my key mashing I must have toggled the "enable LTE" switch to off.  Its back on now and all is well.  Thanks!

MacMe
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

If you check your phone's Cellular network settings, what is selected as your Preferred network type?

KMG
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

1. Your phone will connect to 3G or LTE depending on your location.

2. Your phone will go back to LTE when you are in a location with a better connection.

3. You are correct - you will only start using the remaining 196MB if you exceed your monthly 2GB.

Need Help? Let's chat.