cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice needed for pair of new users

JodyMtl
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm researching plans for a couple of friends who are 70+ and need unlimited talk and data to stay in touch for heath/security reasons. I was thinking of going with a $30-$35 plan but I was hoping to put both on one combined bill that would be paid by one of these friends. 

Is this an option with Public Mobile? I ordered 2 sim cards but have not yet opened an account.  I want this whole process to go as smoothly as possible so not to discourage my two friends who are only partly convinced of the benefits of having a cell phone ...

Do you have any other suggestions for this pair of users? Would a more traditional phone company be preferable in this contxt and if so, which one?

11 REPLIES 11

You should need a support that can do it on the spot or over the phone for you in case need help, unless you can do it all in this service provider.   Now the way time is very long, not sure how long they will fix it if they are tring at all. Smiley Happy

EdmondY
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I do want to point out that if they don't need the data, the $10 limited plan is the way to go.  You get 50 Canada-wide minutes and 50 outgoing messages, incoming is free of charge.  However, if they are relying on calls more (but your not using hundreds of minutes a month), you can get a long distance addon. 

Yes, they are meant for long distance calls (and you can still do so) but for the $10 plan only, it can be used as regular minutes.  The $8 200 minute addon will allow you to call anywhere to Canada and the US.  The $15 400 minute addon will allow you to call anywhere to Canada, US, and certain international countries.  They all can be used for local calling as well (like what I do).

ash_tinney

I would recommend this for my grandparents who sound similar. They buy a card and then have difficulty accessing it, then they don’t use it. Setting it up on automatic pay with a small plan is great and if they find it isn’t working for them they can just ask someone to help upgrade the plan the next month. Just my opinion 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@JodyMtl wrote:

Hi everyone

Thanks for your responses... I'm realizing that PM might not be the best provider in this scenario... They don't need much data... Until something happens and they suddenly do. 

I was hoping to get unlimited tallk and maybe 1G of data just to help get them to NOT think about cost every time they use the cell. As it stands now, he won't use the cell, because it is pay as you go....

My life situation changed and now I barely use my phone. I'm on the $10 50 minutes in Canada and 50 outgoing texts. Incoming texts are unlimited.

Then I have the 200 minute Canada/US LD add-on for calling the US or in the event that I happen to use the 50 minutes. I think I've used 40 or so of those minutes in a couple months. There are people that have had the same add-on hanging around for like 2 years without having to pay for it again.

Then I have the 200mb add-on that has lasted me a couple months now. I'm thinking of getting the 1gb. That should last me a while. But as you say...it's there when I need it. Otherwise...I'm just paying $10 a month as a base.

Have a look before you decide on something else. It works very well for low usage customers. And maybe you could administer the accounts for them so they don't have to think about it.

JodyMtl

thank you for that perspective; I will discuss it with them.

ash_tinney

The nice thing about this phone service for someone that age is a “set it and forget it” kind of thing. Of you activate the plans for auto pay onto the same credit card. it’s a great idea and then only if an issue arises might they need some help to navigate support. And I actually like that there isn’t a “share plan” use one card as a referral. And between that and auto pay it’s a nice little discount for them. 

JodyMtl

Hi everyone

Thanks for your responses... I'm realizing that PM might not be the best provider in this scenario... They don't need much data... Until something happens and they suddenly do. 

I was hoping to get unlimited tallk and maybe 1G of data just to help get them to NOT think about cost every time they use the cell. As it stands now, he won't use the cell, because it is pay as you go....

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@JodyMtl  lucky mobile or chatr might be a better choice for support reasons.

also did you mean unlimited talk and text or unlimited data.  what type of phone are they using?

how much data will they use?

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@JodyMtl wrote:

I'm researching plans for a couple of friends who are 70+ and need unlimited talk and data to stay in touch for heath/security reasons. I was thinking of going with a $30-$35 plan but I was hoping to put both on one combined bill that would be paid by one of these friends. 

Is this an option with Public Mobile? I ordered 2 sim cards but have not yet opened an account.  I want this whole process to go as smoothly as possible so not to discourage my two friends who are only partly convinced of the benefits of having a cell phone ...

Do you have any other suggestions for this pair of users? Would a more traditional phone company be preferable in this contxt and if so, which one?

If you are getting two numbers you need to have two accounts and two emails.

How much data do they need?  I noticed you mentioned that they are seniors if they are not technically "savvy" or have someone that will manage the account for them.  They must also be aware that all customer service is through this forum and currently wait times are at 2+ days so they could be without service during that time.  If you feel they would need a call centre or actual storefront type customer service then PM is not for them.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@JodyMtl wrote:

PM support is by community moderator. 

Are you going to be the people to take care of contacting moderator for them in case of problems with their phone/plan?  If not, they will not know how to get help.

You cannot put two numbers in one account.  They need two accounts, 2 numbers and 2 bills to pay every 30 days cycles.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@JodyMtl

Public Mobile can't combine two accounts into one bill.  Need separate accounts with separate email address to access their self service account.  

Public Mobile is more a DIY type of service.  If it is a new customer with limited mobile or technology experience, I probably won't recommend it.  There is no call centre.  All help is done online via private messaging moderators and it takes time for issues to be resolved.  Maybe the next level up like Koodo might be a better choice.  If there are problems, you can visit a Kiosk or phone somebody.  

When things work well with Public Mobile, it is great.... save money with decent service.  But, when things go wrong, it takes a lot of patience sometimes to fix things.....

Need Help? Let's chat.