cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Added $15 400min International calling to my plan two days ago, but cannot call Europe?

sluff
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Added $15 400min International calling to my plan two days ago, but cannot call Europe?

A friendly/jerk voice says "Hello, this is public mobile, your plan does not inclde calling"

So, is the add-on just a money grab false advertising?

12 REPLIES 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

@daredogg wrote:

@Anonymous I haven't had success with voip either. I have a line with Ooma that I pay $4.52 per month for (office line). I actually forward all the calls to my cell so I don't have to deal with the "I can't hear you syndrome."

But as for wifi calling... my understanding is that it's different from voip. I have a sister that lives in Shanghai and we use WhatsApp to talk. It's fairly reliable and the sound is pretty good. It might disconnect once or twice during an hour of talking, but I'm willing to accept that so I don't have to pay to call her. If you haven't really tried a wifi calling app in awhile, I'd suggest you try it again. There are several people in here such as @srlawren who uses a lot of wifi calling apps and he could probably advise on your situation.

My experience has been with a full-on VOIP system at a workplace. Break-ups and poor sound. I've tried things like Fongo...same thing. The price is right of course but it's just too much hassle IMHO.

@wetcoaster yes, I use WA mostly over wifi. I work from home, so I'm almost always connected. I have enabled cellular data for WA, and occassionally use it, but have never paid attention to the data usage when I'm out and about. I might try it out, since I have available data at the moment, just to see how much data a 10 minute call would use.

@daredogg wrote:

@Anonymous I haven't had success with voip either. I have a line with Ooma that I pay $4.52 per month for (office line). I actually forward all the calls to my cell so I don't have to deal with the "I can't hear you syndrome."

But as for wifi calling... my understanding is that it's different from voip. I have a sister that lives in Shanghai and we use WhatsApp to talk. It's fairly reliable and the sound is pretty good. It might disconnect once or twice during an hour of talking, but I'm willing to accept that so I don't have to pay to call her. If you haven't really tried a wifi calling app in awhile, I'd suggest you try it again. There are several people in here such as @srlawren who uses a lot of wifi calling apps and he could probably advise on your situation.

@daredogg

So, you are using WhatsApp on a WiFi network? Or on your cell phone's data connection?

@sluff can you update us if you attempted to get a refund or not? @LEGO provided the one-click link for sending the moderators a private message. Don't want you leaving PM over something that could have been corrected. It's worth asking anyway... Robot Happy

Anonymous
Not applicable

@

...and as an alternative, there are lots of wifi calling apps like WhatsApp, Signal, etc where you can bypass traditional calling. Of course the person at the other end would also need the app installed. I'm not sure if you can call a landline or not... does anyone else know?

I've not had much success with voip. Lots of breakups, noise, poor connections...not worth it to me. Sure the cost is low but the point is to communicate. If both sides are saying what, you're breaking up, say that again, then you're not communicating.

@Anonymous wrote:

@sluff wrote:

Thanks! did not see that...

not on the list, so maybe time to jump ship - wish I can get my money back tho

Maybe stay on board. Those cheapy cheap little calling card deals you can get at 7-Eleven and others work perfectly fine. You buy the card that is able to connect to your country of interest and they "activate" it. You call a toll free number, enter the pin on the card under the scratch, dial the number you want to call. Baddabing.

...and as an alternative, there are lots of wifi calling apps like WhatsApp, Signal, etc where you can bypass traditional calling. Of course the person at the other end would also need the app installed. I'm not sure if you can call a landline or not... does anyone else know?

LEGO
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@sluff

You may try to recover your money based on Add-on not disclosing list of eligible countries.

You will need to send a private message to a Moderator_Team and explain your situation!
Here is the link: click here
In your message, please provide your name, Public Mobile account number or phone number and PIN.
Good luck! Woman Happy

Contact Support hours of operation:
Monday - Friday 9AM (EDT) - 9PM (EDT) Saturday - Sunday 9AM (EDT) - 7:30PM (EDT)

You will receive a response within an hour, if you are lucky OR it might take up to 48 hours, if your luck is run out! Woman Wink

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sluff wrote:

Maybe stay on board. Those cheapy cheap little calling card deals you can get at 7-Eleven and others work perfectly fine. You buy the card that is able to connect to your country of interest and they "activate" it. You call a toll free number, enter the pin on the card under the scratch, dial the number you want to call. Baddabing.

sluff
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

MacMe
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

There is a list of countries you can call:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Calling-an-international-phone-number/t...

Which country specifically are you trying to call?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@sluff, do you have the calling feature in your base plan?  The add-on relies on the base plan having the calling feature.  If your plan does have the calling feature, please check the exit code entry and country code to make sure they are corect.  I don't know if this matters, the stock android contact app places a space between 011, the two digit country code and the phone number.

Need Help? Let's chat.