cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add-ons needed to use phone for 5 month while in USA

Mimi33
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I want to use my plan while in the US for 5 consecutive months. I need to know what add ons I can pay for so that I can call and text US to US and US to Canada numbers. I am reading that add ons are for calls originating in Canada which won't work for me.

92 REPLIES 92

@88cranston  No problem. As you know here at the community were always happy to help!

88cranston

Please read your private messages. 

Mimi33

Thanks a bunch.  Great ideas from you and @88cranston.  I wish I could use both your codes as a thank you. I promised the friend who introduced me to pm that I would use their code even though he has no idea technically how to set up the account, port my number etc.  It is the community that has guided me after I spent a long time reading the material supplied by Public Mobile.

@88cranston wrote:

@Mimi33 wrote:

Ooopppss....I understand you now.  So sorry.  I could do this without the phone.  I am a dummy!  Great idea.  Thanks a bunch!

Lol🤪🤪🤪 I am retired ........sometimes my mind is tooo relaxed to connect. Yes have a trusted relative buy a Sim, send a pic of Sim number to you. Friend or relative puts Sim in safe place...just not THEIR phone. Then you set it up. 

@Mimi33and @88cranston  Bonding over senior moments you two?!!  @88cranston is absolutely right. If you signed up for deal alerts you be on a direct line to the grapevine. The friend or family can even test the service in their unlocked phone to see if it set up correctly. It's not a problem to switch out SIM cards it's a common troubleshooting technique to isolate problems. But your welcome email from pm will confirm your account is activated if that is not possible. Even if the $60 US plan is not offered a bonus referral credit promo can be worth switching earlier than your arrival home by way of setting up your spouse and so on and so on....

88cranston

@Mimi33 wrote:

Ooopppss....I understand you now.  So sorry.  I could do this without the phone.  I am a dummy!  Great idea.  Thanks a bunch!

Lol🤪🤪🤪 I am retired ........sometimes my mind is tooo relaxed to connect. Yes have a trusted relative buy a Sim, send a pic of Sim number to you. Friend or relative puts Sim in safe place...just not THEIR phone. Then you set it up. 

Mimi33

Mimi33

Great idea but phone is also in Canada. Very dangerous to my (billing) account to have it here.  Even if I turn off data, roaming etc I have been charged when people call me when phone is here in US, and it is a fight to get the charges removed. $8-$10 for an unanswered call that went to voicemail.  I use apple products here as we have wifi so can text and FT with macbook, ipod or ipad to family and most friends.  I will have to keep fingers crossed that they will bring the plan back for Christmas.  Sure wish there was some way to ask PM if they are ever going to consider bringing the $60 plan back. I am willing to pay $720 a year for PM instead of $40x7=$280 plus minimal amount after 85 days of no payment if I just use it in Canada for 7 months

88cranston

@Mimi33 wrote:

Not sure what you mean about a retainer close to home? I am in the US until Dec 18th.  Will be "home" in Canada. Sim card is at Canadian address with my Canadian iphone. Can you explain what you meant in last conversation?

Sorry....misread. Meant retailer. Could a friend buy a sim for you. Then give you a pic of sim number. Then you set up account? Since you are IN USA till the 18th of December. 

Mimi33

Not sure what you mean about a retainer close to home? I am in the US until Dec 18th.  Will be "home" in Canada. Sim card is at Canadian address with my Canadian iphone. Can you explain what you meant in last conversation?

88cranston

@Mimi33 wrote:

From what I have read, I won't be able to sign up or view the specials until I get an account set up. My sim card is ordered and should be at my Canada address very soon. Flying home Dec 18th and will port phone number to pm and set up an account after the 18th. Hoping they have Christmas plans as I will miss out if they make the plan available Black Fri.  

Do you not have a retailer close to home? Set up SIM with out phone and take a new number. Once you are set up you can make all changes on line. 

Mimi33

From what I have read, I won't be able to sign up or view the specials until I get an account set up. My sim card is ordered and should be at my Canada address very soon. Flying home Dec 18th and will port phone number to pm and set up an account after the 18th. Hoping they have Christmas plans as I will miss out if they make the plan available Black Fri.  

88cranston

@darlicious wrote:

@Old_Dog wrote:

@88cranstonI've used tracphone in the past

I found it to be somewhat unreliable, dropped calls, etc, . Long distance was a pain as you need to dial an 800 number then the number you were calling.

I can get a landline bundled with high speed internet for an extra $10 with unlimited long distance in North America. But I'd like to keep my cell phone for mobility and ease of people at home being able to get in touch.

I forward my home phone to my cell phone when I'm away making sure I don't miss any important calls. It also guarantees I get all the tele scammers as well. 😞

I've got a day or two before I head south, maybe PM will have another promotion.

@Old_Dog  It was discussed earlier in this thread if you have or when you choose to purchase a new phone get an international/dual SIM phone so you can have two lines. Check out the very reasonable plans offered by airlo.com, ultramobile.com and T-Mobile Canada/US (at walmart) roaming plans all are offered between $10-$38 cdn per month.

Maybe keep an eye here too while you are away. I hear they have Black Friday specials?

@Old_Dog wrote:

I found it to be somewhat unreliable, dropped calls, etc, . Long distance was a pain as you need to dial an 800 number then the number you were calling.

I can get a landline bundled with high speed internet for an extra $10 with unlimited long distance in North America. But I'd like to keep my cell phone for mobility and ease of people at home being able to get in touch.

I forward my home phone to my cell phone when I'm away making sure I don't miss any important calls. It also guarantees I get all the tele scammers as well. 😞

I've got a day or two before I head south, maybe PM will have another promotion.

@Old_Dog  It was discussed earlier in this thread if you have or when you choose to purchase a new phone get an international/dual SIM phone so you can have two lines. Check out the very reasonable plans offered by airlo.com, ultramobile.com and T-Mobile Canada/US (at walmart) roaming plans all are offered between $10-$38 cdn per month.

@Mimi33 wrote:

Yes, that is what I was told during the discussion last week.  It really is too bad that the took that plan away.  I have just found out about it and the person who told me said he is grandfathered.  I have at least 20 people here in our park in Florida that would change to PM from Rogers and Bell if they brought it back.

@Mimi33  Make sure you have their contact info so if pm does bring the $60US plan back you can keep them informed and refer them with your referral code. You could make a nice dent in your phone bill with the multiple monthly $1 referral rewards.

88cranston

@Nezgar wrote:

voip.ms may be a little intimidating for newcomers to voip services, since devices are not provided and setup is all manual. Fongo.ca home phone is a nice (also Canadian) alternative service. $5/mo CAD after activation fees.

Yes I agree. But they do have concise set up instructions on wiki. I only had 2 issues and with the email help I resolved all issues. I don’t know a 1/10 of what you can do. But I do have it set up if our phone is busy the voicemail will go to VoIP.ms and then be emailed as well. I have email on the android box we watch TV from and it makes a sound when the email arrives. Also I can set up to have VoIP.ms calls forward to our cell phones. And there is an app called Zoiper that allows you to answer calls over wifi or data. 

voip.ms may be a little intimidating for newcomers to voip services, since devices are not provided and setup is all manual. Fongo.ca home phone is a nice (also Canadian) alternative service. The device they send you comes pre-configured and ready-to-use out of the box. $5/mo CAD after activation fees.

Mimi33

Will check it out.  You have to get the high priced Majic Jack.  They had a really cheap one and you are correct, it was horrible.  Many of our friends have the higher priced MJ and it is very reliable. Will check VOIP, thanks

88cranston

@Mimi33 wrote:

The best is Majic Jack.  I refuse to pay Bell for my plan while I am away for 5 months here in Fl.  I get no benefits of data etc with a call fwd.  Will cross my fingers that they bring the plan back around Christmas as I ordered a sim card for pm and it is waiting for me in Canada.  I can't check the deals or subscribe for deals til I get that done. Safe travels.

Magic Jack is hopeless....been there....done that......and cancelled it! You will find so many features in VoIP.ms and you will see what I mean. 

Mimi33

Yup. We have it set up so we can call kids and they can call us with 1-800 numbers but it is a pain and again, no texing to Canada.  We are so spoiled and miss our Canadian cells here. Plus most of our friends are American so they would not be able to call us if we had a Canadian number. They would not even think of paying for an international plan

88cranston

@Old_Dog wrote:

If you have a hard wifi connection down south. You might want to consider VOIP.MS. 

Mimi33

The best is Majic Jack.  I refuse to pay Bell for my plan while I am away for 5 months here in Fl.  I get no benefits of data etc with a call fwd.  Will cross my fingers that they bring the plan back around Christmas as I ordered a sim card for pm and it is waiting for me in Canada.  I can't check the deals or subscribe for deals til I get that done. Safe travels.

88cranston

@Mimi33 wrote:

We are using Tracfone however there is no texting, only calling to Canada. Better than nothing but it would be nice to have the cadallac plan for data, texting and calling like the $60 plan.  Our kids could then call us.  Thank god for apple products.  We can all at least text each other.

I had a tracfone many many years ago. You were able to set up 10 800 numbers for Canada and Mexico. But I forget which way they worked. Do they still have?

Old_Dog
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@88cranston I've used tracphone in the past

Mimi33

We are using Tracfone however there is no texting, only calling to Canada. Better than nothing but it would be nice to have the cadallac plan for data, texting and calling like the $60 plan.  Our kids could then call us.  Thank god for apple products.  We can all at least text each other.

88cranston

@srlawren wrote:

@88cranston wrote:

@Old_Dog wrote:

With the $60.00 plan being discontinued I am considering changing my $50.00 plan back to the $15.00 plan and adding on the $20.00 US roaming 10 day plan. 

Is your $60 plan not grandfathered to you? They don’t offer it to new subscribers. 

@88cranston they're not on it, they're on the $50 plan.  

Got it!!  Sorry!!

If @Old Dog needs a phone in USA. Try https://www.tracfone.com/shop/plans

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@88cranston wrote:

@Old_Dog wrote:

With the $60.00 plan being discontinued I am considering changing my $50.00 plan back to the $15.00 plan and adding on the $20.00 US roaming 10 day plan. 

Is your $60 plan not grandfathered to you? They don’t offer it to new subscribers. 

@88cranston they're not on it, they're on the $50 plan.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

88cranston

@Old_Dog wrote:

This will give me unlimited US talk and text with a minimal amouny of data for $60.00 per month. Plus the $15.00 basic plan I should be able to have coverage for $75 Canadian per 30 days. 

I will have to make sure to renew every 10 days which will be a hassle.

Does the unlimited US talk include long distance back to Canada?

Mimi33

Yes, that is what I was told during the discussion last week.  It really is too bad that the took that plan away.  I have just found out about it and the person who told me said he is grandfathered.  I have at least 20 people here in our park in Florida that would change to PM from Rogers and Bell if they brought it back.

Old_Dog
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

This will give me unlimited US talk and text with a minimal amouny of data for $60.00 per month. Plus the $15.00 basic plan I should be able to have coverage for $75 Canadian per 30 days. 

I will have to make sure to renew every 10 days which will be a hassle.

Does the unlimited US talk include long distance back to Canada?

Just room for your crutches on there with you since the last "incident"!

AE_Collector

Need Help? Let's chat.