cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add-ons needed to use phone for 5 month while in USA

Mimi33
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I want to use my plan while in the US for 5 consecutive months. I need to know what add ons I can pay for so that I can call and text US to US and US to Canada numbers. I am reading that add ons are for calls originating in Canada which won't work for me.

92 REPLIES 92

88cranston

@srlawren wrote:

@88cranston wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@srlawren  They pour a good one at the Billy.

@darlicious The Billy MinEr, in Maple Ridge?

Hey! I live a few blocks from there....I never have seen you there!

@88cranston hey you never know, maybe you have!  LOL.  

Hi. That’s me on the front. I get on the tracks by the old ferry then park at the West Coast Express. I still have grandfathered rights!!

272E20FA-A7E6-4BE0-B530-F45A93049C61.jpeg

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@88cranston wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@88cranston hey you never know, maybe you have!  LOL.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@srlawren wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@darlicious The Billy Minor, in Maple Ridge?

@srlawren  Nope...in the heart of kits...the infamous Billy bishop..legion #173

A monument to history and an official museum proud to serve veterans, servicemen and their wives,families and friends.

Edit: Just found this post hidden from view.

88cranston

@darlicious wrote:

@88cranston wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

I was going to mention you...that you were probably in the hood. Small world. Geez if ivdont watch it I'm going owe the whole community a pint. Met the Russel beer rep the other day... he bought the house a pint. It was 4pm ...the bartender, the cook (me), the beer rep and 4 customers....2 of which up and left after he offered a free round! I feel like that line should send with Helen Mirren....

It’s ok @darlicious the last time I was there it was a BMO. Lol.....😀😀😀

@88cranston wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

I was going to mention you...that you were probably in the hood. Small world. Geez if ivdont watch it I'm going owe the whole community a pint. Met the Russel beer rep the other day... he bought the house a pint. It was 4pm ...the bartender, the cook (me), the beer rep and 4 customers....2 of which up and left after he offered a free round! I feel like that line should send with Helen Mirren....

88cranston

@srlawren wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

Too bad @ShawnC13  wasn't online when I posted to clarify when I first posted but he's definetly helped @AE_Collector  and I for future posts/queries. Thanks again! 

@darlicious I do hope you realize that even oracles are just customers--regular community members that volunteer their time here; they have jobs, families, friends, hobbies, and other things in their lives.  They can't be here all the time!

@srlawren  What?!! Really?!! Well gosh dang it you learn something new everyday. I had no idea. I thought they were all knowing ever present super entitities that us mere mortals are to deflect to, bow down and always revere. Does that possibly mean that they are not right all of the time? Goodness my Guinness...i might owe someone a pint.

@darlicious , @srlawren  is LEGENDARY around here he was an Oracle when I got here and someone that should be up on the wall of honour somewhere around here!!!

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

srlawren

@darlicious wrote:

@darlicious The Billy Minor, in Maple Ridge?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@will13am  Ditto.

@darlicious wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

Too bad @ShawnC13  wasn't online when I posted to clarify when I first posted but he's definetly helped @AE_Collector  and I for future posts/queries. Thanks again! 

@darlicious I do hope you realize that even oracles are just customers--regular community members that volunteer their time here; they have jobs, families, friends, hobbies, and other things in their lives.  They can't be here all the time!

@srlawren  What?!! Really?!! Well gosh dang it you learn something new everyday. I had no idea. I thought they were all knowing ever present super entitities that us mere mortals are to deflect to, bow down and always revere. Does that possibly mean that they are not right all of the time? Goodness my Guinness...i might owe someone a pint.

Hey I won't ever let pride get in the way.  If you are handing out free pints, where is the line up?

srlawren

@darlicious wrote:

i might owe someone a pint.

@darlicious gratuities are not necessary but are always appreciated.  

@srlawren wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

srlawren

@darlicious wrote:

@Mimi33 wrote:

Thank you for explaining how to watch for deals and offers.  I will be home Dec 18th and it looks like I have to create my account to view and sign up for them.  I hope, as you mentioned, that the $60 plan is reinstated and available in the near future.  Thank you also for mentioning @ShawC13 and @AE Collector who also generously helped me.  It is overwhelming in a good way, to have such generous support from the community.  I never did get an answer from the mediator that contacted me about possible delays when purchasing add-ons or anything else.  Had I not had community support I would not be signing up with Public Mobile so I hope the company realizes how important the community is to their bottom line! 

1. @Mimi33  We are always very happy to help...and you are right it's the community that really makes this company. We are all happy to have affordable phone bills but the support, help and guidance of the community makes you want to stay. Take a little time over the next month to learn a little more about pm it will help with your eventual activation. Read the help and knowledge articles, use the search bar for topics your interested in and come black Friday check in during that weekend to get perspective on the pitfalls some people experience and how the community responds. It will give you a good idea of what to expect when you do activate. If a really good promotion comes up...or your wish list plan...$60 US roaming earlier than you are prepared for....remember you can activate with a temporary number and port over yours when it's convenient. If they only offer that plan for 2 or 3 days it would still be worthwhile in your case to activate and pay for 2 lines for a couple of weeks rather than lose your opportunity to get the plan you really need. Good luck...and we'll look forward to answering more of your questions.

Mimi33

Thank you for explaining how to watch for deals and offers.  I will be home Dec 18th and it looks like I have to create my account to view and sign up for them.  I hope, as you mentioned, that the $60 plan is reinstated and available in the near future.  Thank you also for mentioning @ShawC13 and @AE Collector who also generously helped me.  It is overwhelming in a good way, to have such generous support from the community.  I never did get an answer from the mediator that contacted me about possible delays when purchasing add-ons or anything else.  Had I not had community support I would not be signing up with Public Mobile so I hope the company realizes how important the community is to their bottom line! 

Mimi33

@Mimi33 wrote:

I am glad you corrected to $15 as I was starting to doubt my understanding.  I will keep your code.  I am not sure I am going to set up the $15 plus $8x3=$24 when I return to Canada in December but will change to PM at that time just to get rid of Bell.  Come the fall at which time I will be much more familiar with PM I will attempt to set up US usage.  I hope that add-ons will become automatic as this is the big issue especially if I lose a day no matter what day I add the next add on to the plan.  If they would only bring back the $60 plan it would simplify the process for so many of us!  In this day and age snowbirds need Canadian cell phones that work in both US and Canada.  It has been a long haul but I finally have it figured out with help from so many. Thanks a bunch.

@Mimi33  Whew!! I certainly hope this has cleared things up for you. Thanks to @ShawnC13  and @AE_Collector for asking for clarification on the base plan required while in the US to use the add ons. Too bad @ShawnC13  wasn't online when I posted to clarify when I first posted but he's definetly helped @AE_Collector  and I for future posts/queries. Thanks again! So the $15+(3×$8add ons)=$37p/m or $185 for 5months and it doesn't sound like you would use texting very much and that would add an additional $21 per 30 days ($58 p/m) so not worth it. You may want to sign up for deal alerts on the plans page that way you will be informed of upcoming promotions for black Friday, and pre-xmas/Xmas.  You Wil already have a SIM by then so you will be able to jump on a good promo/flash sale. If your lucky maybe @Tiana_V  or @Alan_K  will announce a Xmas gift to pm customers that they are bringing back the $60 US/Canada roaming plan again even if it's for a limited time so those who really want or need it will snatch it up and keep it. Enjoy the sunshine and warm weather my umbrella is a little jealous.

mimmo

@AE_Collector  another issue mentioned is when people have multiple talk USA addons at the same time.  Ie talk only + say a talk and text.  In this situation calls would cut off after less than a minute of usage. Might have actually  been seconds...

@Mimi33 since you are in no rush, I would buy a pm sim and take it with you, and also sign Up for the promo emails.  So if a plan that suits your needs ie the one that included USA roaming. You could activate it.

I was surprised that they discontinued the $60 US plan so quickly. It was a new direction for PM and I really thought they would keep it available. The beauty of PM is that it is so easy to switch plans as often as every month to suit your needs.

AE_Collector

Mimi33

I am glad you corrected to $15 as I was starting to doubt my understanding.  I will keep your code.  I am not sure I am going to set up the $15 plus $8x3=$24 when I return to Canada in December but will change to PM at that time just to get rid of Bell.  Come the fall at which time I will be much more familiar with PM I will attempt to set up US usage.  I hope that add-ons will become automatic as this is the big issue especially if I lose a day no matter what day I add the next add on to the plan.  If they would only bring back the $60 plan it would simplify the process for so many of us!  In this day and age snowbirds need Canadian cell phones that work in both US and Canada.  It has been a long haul but I finally have it figured out with help from so many. Thanks a bunch.

Crap...where I wrote $25 that was a typo, meant $15 plan for a $37 cost over 30 days with autopay $2 discount.

AE_Collector

@AE_Collector wrote:

@ShawnC13 

Good to know, thanks for that.

so as I understand the need of @Mimi33 , the $25 plan combined with buying US add-ons every 10 days seems like the inexpensive answer since apparently calls in and out are all that is required. The problems seem to be:

-the inconvenience of renewing the $8 add-on every 10 days but that may not be a problem. I Would definitely preload a bunch of funds ahead of time to make the purchase of the add-on less work.

-And the other problem is what @mimmo mentioned, having to skip a day before repurchasing? Not really familiar with that glitch. Is this only a factor if the add-on has actually expired? If the US add-on is renewed every 9 days would this still happen? 

It sure would be nice to be able to put these fixed number of days add-ons on an autopay renewal. So many fixes/improvements needed and so little time!

AE_Collector

@AE_Collector  if this is the route they are choosing to go I would suggest the cheapest plan at $15 then your addon.  I would also suggest adding enough funds to the account so that when they do go in and re-purchase the add-on it is a single step

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@ShawnC13 

Good to know, thanks for that.

so as I understand the need of @Mimi33 , the $25 plan combined with buying US add-ons every 10 days seems like the inexpensive answer since apparently calls in and out are all that is required. The problems seem to be:

-the inconvenience of renewing the $8 add-on every 10 days but that may not be a problem. I Would definitely preload a bunch of funds ahead of time to make the purchase of the add-on less work.

-And the other problem is what @mimmo mentioned, having to skip a day before repurchasing? Not really familiar with that glitch. Is this only a factor if the add-on has actually expired? If the US add-on is renewed every 9 days would this still happen? 

It sure would be nice to be able to put these fixed number of days add-ons on an autopay renewal. So many fixes/improvements needed and so little time!

AE_Collector

@AE_Collector wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@darlicious, just wondering why you recommend the $25 plan over the $15 plan as your base plan is irrelevant once you are in the US as all the base plans are for when you are in Canada.  The $15 plan with the $5 addon for 500 minutes is for calls that originate in Canada and wouldn't work for them in the US

It is unfortunate @Mimi33  didn't come looking for a plan a couple of months ago the $60 plan would have worked perfect for this situation with 2GB of US data per 30 days as well.

@ShawnC13  I asked for clarification on that a few posts back. Would the $8/10 day US add-on with the $15 plan limit the user to 100 minutes of outbound calling or would the 100 minute limit just be calling Canada when in Canada. Does tge $8/10 day US calling give unlimited Outbound calling to either country FROM the US?

If so, @Mimi33 @can do this for $15 for plan plus $24 for 3 - 10 day US add-ons bringing the total to $39 or $37 with autopay. The only inconvenient part is having to purchase tge 10 day add-ons every 10 days but that may not be a big inconvenience depending on the situation. (Has internet access and is not constantly on the road travelling). 

AE_Collector

@AE_Collector  the base plan has no effect while in the US the addons are unlimited *except for data*.  

Roaming.JPG

mimmo

@Mimi33   I dont recall seeing this option mentioned.  get a free voip number from fongo.com  forward your calls to the fongo number.  and then get a local sim with data.

no need to worry about the 90 days and telling ppl in canada about your new USA number 

forwarding is free on  PMs 25$ plan,  I can't recall how it works on the $15 plan.

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@darlicious, just wondering why you recommend the $25 plan over the $15 plan as your base plan is irrelevant once you are in the US as all the base plans are for when you are in Canada.  The $15 plan with the $5 addon for 500 minutes is for calls that originate in Canada and wouldn't work for them in the US

It is unfortunate @Mimi33  didn't come looking for a plan a couple of months ago the $60 plan would have worked perfect for this situation with 2GB of US data per 30 days as well.

@ShawnC13  I asked for clarification on that a few posts back. Would the $8/10 day US add-on with the $15 plan limit the user to 100 minutes of outbound calling or would the 100 minute limit just be calling Canada when in Canada. Does tge $8/10 day US calling give unlimited Outbound calling to either country FROM the US?

If so, @Mimi33 @can do this for $15 for plan plus $24 for 3 - 10 day US add-ons bringing the total to $39 or $37 with autopay. The only inconvenient part is having to purchase tge 10 day add-ons every 10 days but that may not be a big inconvenience depending on the situation. (Has internet access and is not constantly on the road travelling). 

AE_Collector

mimmo

@Mimi33  be aware if you go the addon route you will probably be without service for 1 day every 10 days.   there seems to be a 24 hour wait period after the 10 day addon expires before you can purchase it again.  

The reference by @GinYVR  to porting and sims was just if you found someone selling the Public Mobile $60 US plan that they discontinued a couple of months ago. It was a great deal for people frequently moving back and forth across the border. Others have mentioned that it is too bad you weren't asking these questions when that plan was still available. Thus, if you could find someone selling it....

AE_Collector

Mimi33

thanks for the info. e1 is being so helpful and I am learning that it is not as simple as I thought. Are you saying when I port my number and I sign up for a month plan (my new sim is ordered)at Christmas when I fly home I will not be able to change plans in April when I return to Canada for 6 months and keep the same phone number?  You mention two accounts. Thanks for your patience.

Need Help? Let's chat.