cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add-on suggestion. Ringback service / Missed call notification.

Jessica_T
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I would pay for a ringback service and a missed call to text message service. $1 per 30 days for each add-on may I suggest.

If I had to choose between them the missed call notification takes priority, you never know when you missed a call for that moment you were in the elevator.

6 REPLIES 6

Dunkgirl
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Alex888 wrote:

@DunkgirlIt would go though as soon as it got reception again and an app would trigger a notification about a missed call.

@Alex888I am going to have to disagree with you there. I can say without a doubt a 3rd party app has no way of knowing who called you when the phone was off or out of service and has no way to go check to see if a call was missed. A sms/mms/voicemail is different and is sitting on a tower/server/switch/hub/relay or whatever you call that hardware ready for the phone to connect to the network to be retrieved by the phone or pushed to the phone.

The apps you speak of only work if your phone was on and currently has that notification, its a way for you to have your phone remind you at intervals if you did not check your phone yet. You can even use it to make a custom alert for any software on your phone. It has nothing to do with the network/carrier and does not do what we are talking about.

I believe altering the type of ring sound that someone hears when calling you is something the carrier should never do, nor allow.  This type of stuff is standardized for a reason.  Besides, it's not like the person accrepting the calls woild ever hear the music.  And yes, as mentioned most people will hang up thinking it is voicemail or just hang up not knowing what to do.  A message at the beginning of "ringing" might not work either because the first couple of seconds of a call or of the ringing can often get chopped off.

Years ago, Wind Mobile in Canada did something nonsensical.  They used a beeping sound, similar to what some overseas carriers use, as the ringing sound.  Almost everyone thought this was a busy signal and would just hang up.

I do like the missed call alert idea, but I would be unwilling to pay extta for it.  I doubt many people would, as it would be considered by many to be such a basic function. Currently, I only know of Rogers, Fido, and Freedom who offer this.

@DunkgirlIt would go threw as soon as it got reception again and an app would trigger a notification about a missed call.

Dunkgirl

@Alex888 wrote:

There are apps for that. I don't know if you have android or iPhone but on Google Play there are apps like Missed Call Reminder that will notify you of any calls or SMS's you missed, and most apps are free to use.

@Alex888I don't think there are. Jessica mentioned being in an elevator, implying her phone might have had no service. Apps on your phone only work if phone was on and connected to the network. I agree for a carrier level missed call notification to text message alert. If my phone is not working or off or even during the moment I was rebooting the phone once it reconnects to the network a sms would come through "You missed a call from (xxx)xxx-xxxx at 3:14pm"

Alex888
Mayor / Maire

There are apps for that. I don't know if you have android or iPhone but on Google Play there are apps like Missed Call Reminder that will notify you of any calls or SMS's you missed, and most apps are free to use.

Dunkgirl

@Jessica_T wrote:

I would pay for a ringback service and a missed call to text message service. $1 per 30 days for each add-on may I suggest.

If I had to choose between them the missed call notification takes priority, you never know when you missed a call for that moment you were in the elevator.

@Jessica_TI like the missed notification idea, but in my experience when I signed up for Ringback with Rogers the service was confusing to callers, most people thought it was your voicemail greeting and would hang up a soon as they heard music playing.

Need Help? Let's chat.