cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add on second device?

GeoffO1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My friend would like to join but would like to have his iPad and phone linked for data usage. The iPad is sim enabled. Currently he is on Telus and they pool his data together between the two devices. They both have their own SIM card. Does Public Mobile link two devices like this? Or would they need separate plans?

11 REPLIES 11

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@GeoffO1 wrote:

My friend would like to join but would like to have his iPad and phone linked for data usage. The iPad is sim enabled. Currently he is on Telus and they pool his data together between the two devices. They both have their own SIM card. Does Public Mobile link two devices like this? Or would they need separate plans?

You friend has a postpaid family or sharing plan at Telus. Postpaid sharing plan allows more than 1 SIM card the same plan features. 

Unfortunatly, PM prepaid plan does not allow sharing.  1 SIM card per account.  Since PM plan is cheaper, you friend has get two plans.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You can only have one account & one email per sim.

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

One device (with one activated SIM) per account.

@geopublic, in many cases, the 'dog brand' will not allow this, as they ask that you already have a post-paid mobile plan with them.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@GeoffO1 wrote:

@GeoffO1  He would need separate accounts. For the iPad tell your friend to go with the dog brand he can get 4GB LTE for $15 per month and switch his phone to PM. That way he will have some network redundancy just in case one network is down.

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@GeoffO1 wrote:

Why would someone want to do that unless they want the iPad to be used by someone else? You can tether if you using both yourself.  You can move sim card around if you want but only one active sim card per plan. No share plans here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I used to spend quite a bit of time on a hotspot...rarely any problems.

As for battery...just leave it/them plugged in.

@GeoffO1It also burns battery faster both on both devices.. He is on Telus.. he can afford the higher price.. Public Mobile is a bare threads provider, don't expect pooled data.

GeoffO1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
Spoiler

Yes I suggested that... he said he used to do that but was irritated as it would jump off the hotspot from time to time. He currently has it as he’d like through Telus, so he’d prefer it have its own sim, but pool the data. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@GeoffO1 wrote:

Why bother? Use wifi hotspot from one to the other.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@GeoffO1 Seperate email address.. hence seperate plans

Need Help? Let's chat.