cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add on's instead of a running plan

dreamboats198
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi,

If I have left over data and talk time from previous add ons, do I have the option to break away from my monthly plan and use the add ons until exhausted or do I need an active monthly plan running?

Also please clarify if the $5-500 minute CA wide long distance is 500 minutes for inbound and outbound talk time.

Thanks

Savio

13 REPLIES 13

@dreamboats198  Oh...youre on the $10 plan that's no longer offered. Don't change it if you want to keep it. You also get your data at 4G instead of 3G/LTE. Don't perform any data speed tests...it will gobble up your data at an alarming rate.

@dreamboats198 wrote:

I have the 10 dollar plan. If I buy the 500 minute add on for calls, do those minutes expire ?

They will remain in your account until used as long as your account remains open.

dreamboats198
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I have the 10 dollar plan. If I buy the 500 minute add on for calls, do those minutes expire ?

@mpcdesignwrote:

if you are trying to maximize the savings, I would think the add-ons can be costly option for long distance calls. It would be much cheaper for you to use texting, or WhatsApp, Facetime, WeChat, Skype, Google Hangouts, and so on.

@mpcdesign   Just a heads up....the OP wants to save some money by using up presumably the holiday gifts of 1gb data and 400 min international calling add ons. So it's not a matter of purchasing them but using them up on a plan (since you must have a plan). The only real way to consume the minutes if you don't need them would be to switch to the $15.

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

@dreamboats198 , if you are trying to maximize the savings, I would think the add-ons can be costly option for long distance calls. It would be much cheaper for you to use texting, or WhatsApp, Facetime, WeChat, Skype, Google Hangouts, and so on.

This is the terms and conditions for add-ons as per Public Mobile:

1. Taxes are extra. The account must have sufficient funds to cover the total cost each month.
  2. Province-Wide option includes outgoing calls you make anywhere in Canada to a number with an area code in the same province, and incoming calls you receive while you are in your home province. A Long Distance Talk Add-On is required to receive incoming calls while you are outside your home province.
  3. Includes text and picture messaging. Premium and subscription-based messaging, to and from non-Canadian numbers, are not included. Picture messaging on BlackBerry smartphones requires the BlackBerry 10 operating system.
  4. Plans with 4G LTE data can access maximum LTE download speeds (manufacturer rated at up to 900 Mbps; expected average speeds 12-250 Mbps). Plans with 3G data may reach download speeds of up to 3 Mbps, with the coverage and reliability of the LTE network. Speed and signal strength may vary with your device, configuration, Internet traffic, environmental conditions, applicable network management and other factors. For a description of Public Mobile’s network management practices, please see here. Compatible device required. Data usage is rounded up each session to the nearest 10KB. Data service on BlackBerry smartphones requires the BlackBerry 10 operating system.
  5. Add-Ons are available for use only with an active plan. Long distance Add-Ons require a monthly talk feature on the rate plan.
  6. Talk option required. Calls made to numbers starting with the following six digit combinations are not included in U.S. Roaming talk Add-Ons or U.S. calling from Canada and will not be completed when dialed: 712-432, 605-562, 641-552, 605-475, 605-477, 712-775, 559-726, 530-881.
  7. Data Add-Ons to supplement a Data Plan will be provisioned at the data speed selected in your plan. If you have a Talk and/or Text Plan only with no data, the Data Add-Ons available to you will be defaulted to 4G LTE speed. US Roaming speed and signal strength may vary with your device, configuration, Internet traffic, environmental conditions, our partner’s applicable network management, the base plan you have purchased and other factors.
  8. With a $2 Autopay Reward activated
  9. We will use your email address to send you information about promotions, special offers and news about Public Mobile events and services. All communications will be coming from Public Mobile. Our contact information is: Marketing Preferences, 30 Floor, 25 York Street, Toronto ON M5J 2V5. You can withdraw your consent to receive electronic messages from Public Mobile at any time.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Which plan do you have?

All current plans have unlimited incoming plan. Which means that for those plans 500 minutes counter for outgoing minutes.

The old plans that have measured incoming AND outgoing minutes will have 500 minutes used for both incoming and outgoing.

Again if you are with the new plan your incoming minutes are unlimited

Anonymous
Not applicable

The 500 minute add-on is for calling from Canada to Canada.

The 400 minute add-on is for calling from Canada to Canada and to 19 other countries.

@dreamboats198 

Unless you are already on the $15 plan switching to it will allow you to use your add ons to supplement the data and outgoing minutes on that plan. Depending on how much talking or surfing you do you will eventually use up what remains on your add ons. If you don't use much data you might find you will want to stay on it and just add another $5/500 min add on. You could also add it earlier if you do call outside of Canada and save the holiday international calling minutes add on for just that since they are $0.0375 p/m and the $5/500min are much cheaper at $0.01 p/m.

fujiyama
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Your first question is answered already, so for your second question: those 500 minutes count towards both incoming and outgoing talk time that are outside of what your plan covers. For current in-market plans, they will only be used for outgoing international calls.

Exception for the current $15 plan:

- outgoing international calls will use the 500 minutes regardless of the balance on your 100 Canada wide "plan" minutes

- all outgoing calls (local and international) beyond the 100 "plan" minutes will be deducted from the 500 minutes.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@dreamboats198  Add-ons require an active plan to work. The 500 minutes are outgoing minutes unless one has the older limited plans that do not include unlimited incoming calls.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Add-ons are not called add-ons without proper reason.  There needs to be some host (main plan) to add onto.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@dreamboats198 

Add-on needs a plan work.

Just keep the unused add-on as backup as you may need it some day.

One of my account has 500 minutes add-on for 6 months.  After 6 months, I have not use even 1 minute. lol

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Sorry no

For add-ons to work you must have working plan

You can move to the lowest plan and save some money, it's 13 with autopay and will go down by I've dollar each year until you got $8.

You can make it even lower with referrals or community activity

Need Help? Let's chat.