cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add SMS without changing base plan

3x3is9
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

I've been a happy Public Mobile customer for several years with a data-only plan, since I don't phone or text anyone except through Skype or Facebook. Lately, however, my job requires me to make online accounts with two-factor authentication, and some of them do it through SMS. For those few SMS messages, I've managed to use a free app that provides SMS, but some providers don't allow those numbers to be used.

I want to add SMS without changing the base rate on my data-only plan, which is $84 for 6GB in 90 days. The plan constructor says recreating my current plan would be $130 right now, which is a $46/35% increase to what I current pay. Adding SMS to it would be $145, which is a $61/42% increase. The $15 increase is barely worth paying for SMS, but $61 is absolutely not.

Is there any way to apply the $15 SMS upgrade to my current plan, or is there another way to add SMS to a plan. 

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@3x3is9 I too have had problems easily implementing 2FA for some services. Although I have no experience with one yet I am considering a 2FA app. Have look here https://www.cloudwards.net/best-2fa-apps/. I may give Authy a try out. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@3x3is9 wrote:

I don't see any option for a $10 plan, unless that means $10 a month in addition to the base $10 a month, which is $20 a month. It's also $55 for 3 months. Both are a bit more than is worth it. It's annoying to ask a friend to receive a message every once in awhile, but it's not $20 a month annoying. 

There is a plan here for $10 and only $10. 50 minutes total Canada-wide and 50 outgoing texts (unlimited incoming).

It has been requested for quite some time since the introduction of this plan to offer a texting add-on.

And @CS_Agent...wow...with this kind of response time you all are going to put us regulars out in the street. 🙂

@3x3is9 Stop thinking about any other plan. No current offer is close to your current grandfathered plan. PM does not offer ANY add-ons to base plans except those listed. https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/plans. The Canadian add-ons will only work if you have calling in your plan.

All data based texting apps have problems with some authentication texts; even PM will not accept some. Robot Frustrated

Rodrigo_C
Customer Support Agent

Hi 3x3is9

Yes, unfortunately at the moment we still don't support eSims, not at the moment. 

The plan for 10$ is an alternative if you decide to purchase another phone, and use it as an extra line. 

The main reason why the plan for 90 days, with texting, goes up so high, is cause we increase as well the data, to keep it balanced with the rest of the plan. 

You can actually take advantage of it, you can have more data available, and unlimited calling, and the texting, in case of an emergency you would have the calling already available. 

Regards,

Rod.

Public Mobile Moderator Team.

3x3is9
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have an iPhone X, which means to add another plan, I'd need to use an eSim. I don't think Public supports that quite yet, although one of the upcoming announcements looked promising for eSim.

I don't see any option for a $10 plan, unless that means $10 a month in addition to the base $10 a month, which is $20 a month. It's also $55 for 3 months. Both are a bit more than is worth it. It's annoying to ask a friend to receive a message every once in awhile, but it's not $20 a month annoying. An extra $5 a month wouldn't be too bad, which is the $15 per 3 months to add it to a new plan. Ideally, an add-on for 50 text messages, or something, would be great.

I've been using TextNow for free, which works well for the few instances I need to call a business or accept some SMS verifications. Fongo is an interesting option. I signed up, and tried to use it for verifying with Microsoft, which is the biggest pain for me with SMS verification, but they don't allow it. 

@mh1983 wrote:

Which app have you been using, out of curiosity? Perhaps we could recommend another option. I used to use Fongo -- it required purchasing a text plan within the app but I believe it's a reasonable rate and coverage seemed pretty good to me.

It's less than $3/month for unlimited Canada wide texting, plus you would have calling. https://www.fongo.com

Rodrigo_C
Customer Support Agent

Hello 3x3is9, thank you for letting us know about your concern. 

At the moment unfortunately we would need to change the plan for you to be able to have texting as well. 

We have the option for 120$, under a 30 day base plan,  yes it is true that it is more expensive, but, on this plan you would receive, the equivalent to 15gb of data, unlimited calling, and texting, on three months, with the difference that you would need to top u0p each motnh, but it would be a good alternative.

otherwise, we can purchase just a second hand phone, a cheap one, just to use it for the texting, we have a plan for texting for only 10$.

Let us know what you think. 

Regards, 

Rod.

Public Mobile Moderator Team.

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Which app have you been using, out of curiosity? Perhaps we could recommend another option. I used to use Fongo -- it required purchasing a text plan within the app but I believe it's a reasonable rate and coverage seemed pretty good to me.

@3x3is9 wrote:

Hello,

I've been a happy Public Mobile customer for several years with a data-only plan, since I don't phone or text anyone except through Skype or Facebook. Lately, however, my job requires me to make online accounts with two-factor authentication, and some of them do it through SMS. For those few SMS messages, I've managed to use a free app that provides SMS, but some providers don't allow those numbers to be used.

I want to add SMS without changing the base rate on my data-only plan, which is $84 for 6GB in 90 days. The plan constructor says recreating my current plan would be $130 right now, which is a $46/35% increase to what I current pay. Adding SMS to it would be $145, which is a $61/42% increase. The $15 increase is barely worth paying for SMS, but $61 is absolutely not.

Is there any way to apply the $15 SMS upgrade to my current plan, or is there another way to add SMS to a plan. 

Thanks

Getting a second plan/phone number is an option, but sorry, there are no text messaging add-ons.  To get the ability to use text messaging, you will need to change your plan.

Psygineer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Is your device dual SIM? You could sign up for a second account. One for your old Data only plan, and one with text messenging. Bonus is, you could refer yourself and save an extra $1 per month on your data plan AND probably take advanrage of the current referral offer (maybe I didn't read the fine print).

Need Help? Let's chat.