cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accidentally Used up my data without knowing it

krisjointz
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I was using Bluetooth to connect my computer to my phone. I somehow connected to my phones data. I was streaming Netflix, thinking I was on my home WIFI when I suddenly got disconnected. That’s when I realize that I had been connected to my personal hotspot, using my phones data the whole time without knowing and I used up 100% of my data. I never go above my data limit. Now I have no data.

Why would I use my phones data up when I have unlimited data from my home internet plan. Can I get my data back somehow please? 

And is is there a unlimited day plan, if so how much is it?

11 REPLIES 11

Kim1971kim
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I don’t think you can get it back 😞 but you can purchase add ons until the month is up if you really need it

@krisjointz 

There are two sides to every coin. This is one "battle" you may not win.

However if you approach PM nicely, who knows what the outcome will be? Only you will know.

I can tell you from personal experience that my dealings with Public Mobile have been way more positive than with Bell or Rogers.

@krisjointz wrote:

The only reason I even bothered to ask for some date back was because about 6 years ago I was with Rogers wireless, I had just moved to a new place and hadn’t had the cable hooked up yet. So I was using my data to download movies. I was a total rookie to data use and I accidentally ran up a $900 bill, knowing full well I was using my data.

i phoned Rogers and told them I had made a mistake. They didn’t even give me the slightest hard time and immediately credited my account the full $900. So that’s why other carriers would have done. There a huge company with all kinds of money coming in. That money meant a lot more to me than them , just like my data does now. It’s not gonna affect them in the slightest. But to me it’s a huge deal. To show some actual “customer care” and “appreciation” once goes a long way. We’ll see if public mobile has the same attitude. I doubt it. With customers like you guys I think this company is a joke

There is a bit of a difference in the plans offered.  Here you pre-pay for what you get in your plan with no chance of overage.  I read a story about Bell where a family was on vacation and a dad left his phone with his son who was sick in the hotel room and the overage was 20K.  The company isn't a joke, but what I think is a joke is that you feel entitled to have PM cover your mistake and give you free data.  Sometimes people need to own their mistakes and learn from them.  So many people now never feel the consequences of their mistakes and always want someone else to blame or cover for them.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

krisjointz

The only reason I even bothered to ask for some date back was because about 6 years ago I was with Rogers wireless, I had just moved to a new place and hadn’t had the cable hooked up yet. So I was using my data to download movies. I was a total rookie to data use and I accidentally ran up a $900 bill, knowing full well I was using my data.

i phoned Rogers and told them I had made a mistake. They didn’t even give me the slightest hard time and immediately credited my account the full $900. So that’s why other carriers would have done. There a huge company with all kinds of money coming in. That money meant a lot more to me than them , just like my data does now. It’s not gonna affect them in the slightest. But to me it’s a huge deal. To show some actual “customer care” and “appreciation” once goes a long way. We’ll see if public mobile has the same attitude. I doubt it. With customers like you guys I think this company is a joke

Geejustin66

Um. I'm sorry to hear that but pretty sure data used is data used. 

lukevader
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hey, that's great news. You just unknowingly tested the system for some people on the fence not quite ready to jump on PM because they are scared of "3G speeds". 

Count your lucky stars you weren't on another carrier that would have charged you overages because you had no idea you were hot spotting. PM just saved your wallet from your mistake. 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@krisjointz 

Nothing PM will do to reverse your data usage.

Options to get more data:
1. If your current data limit does not meet your 30 days' need, you may change a plan with more data. You can do the plan from self-serve. You get your data back immediately with plan change.  
2. If you need to create a moderator support ticket using the ? button at the bottom right hand corner of this page. Moderator wait time is 2 - 3 days. If your next renewal date is 2 - 3 days away, you may just on data diet for a few days until after renewal.
3. You can buy data add-ons $30 1GB data or $10 200MB data. Expensive option

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

@krisjointz  Count yourself lucky you are with Public Mobile.

If you were with a postpaid carrier, you would have easily incurred a $50 levy on your next bill for exceeding your data plan.

p.s. Unlimited data plans are expensive. Public Mobile does not offer them.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@krisjointz wrote:

I was using Bluetooth to connect my computer to my phone. I somehow connected to my phones data. I was streaming Netflix, thinking I was on my home WIFI when I suddenly got disconnected. That’s when I realize that I had been connected to my personal hotspot, using my phones data the whole time without knowing and I used up 100% of my data. I never go above my data limit. Now I have no data.

Why would I use my phones data up when I have unlimited data from my home internet plan. Can I get my data back somehow please? 

And is is there a unlimited day plan, if so how much is it?

There are no unlimited data plans and I don't see a reason for Public to give you your data back.  They have provided the service that you paid for and you used it.  Unfortunately, you didn't realize you were using it but you did and Public should not be held accountable for that.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

Unfortunate no unlimited data plans.

How far are you into your cycle and what plan are you on.

Maybe moderators could help, they are under no obligation, but you may be lucky. If you have only couple of days left then you may as well renew early but if not you are totally at their mercy

Good luck

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@krisjointz wrote:

Why would I use my phones data up when I have unlimited data from my home internet plan. Can I get my data back somehow please?  Unfortunately the answer is no. Your options are:

1. Purchase a data add-on
  2. Do an immediate plan cahnge with more data
  3. Submit a ticket and ask the moderators to renew you current plan early.

And is is there a unlimited day plan, if so how much is it? Public Mobile does not offer unlimited data plans.

To submit a ticket to Public Mobile do the following: 

PMST.png

Need Help? Let's chat.