cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Craptastic Disgrace--Where is the Public comment from Public Mobile's CEO?

doctorbe
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

The changes announced yesterday and the ridiculous price increases are a craptastic disgrace to the company and a betrayal of the community that supports it. There is no longer a reason to support this company--Public, you were supposed to be a disruptor of the mobile industry, and not another 3rd rate lackey.  I am utterly disappointed because I believed in the business model and the community approach. The fact that they were presented with a bait and switch press strategy touting the "benefits" of 3G is also disgraceful. 

Given that Public has relied on the free labour and engagement of its Public Community, I would like to request public comment from @Jeremy_M on two simple questions:

-Are the price increases at the behest of Telus?

-How do the price increases comport with a vision of Public Mobile as a full service mobile competitor that competes on price (i.e. The business model that we have all invested in)?

Why should I endure this company's growing pains so I can be a part of a Chatr-like third-rate service?

30 REPLIES 30

I think it's more likely Telus pays Bell some $/GB when using Bell RAN, and vice versa. But you're right, there must be some high level agreement where they work these things out. I just know there's no implementation on the RAN.

echf
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@sheytoon

I am not from a technical perspective. 

I just mean the top secret tower sharing agreement should have some policy to balance both parties' interest.

(speculation)

Bell cannot let Telus take all it's customer while still sharing resources to Telus. 

Let's say if one day Telus decided to have a massive promotion aiming Bell's customer in Ontario, $1 per month for 100GB!!

The tower sharing agreement must somehow prohibited this kind of activity. 

Telus is going to pay a penalty to keep the balance right. 

(speculation)

@echf, @jeffster1970
I have seen Telus and Bell eNodeB configuration. There is no policy implemented to prioritize any data traffic between the 2 operators. It would be a logistical nightmare to implement.

Imagine Bell engineers having to spend time implementing policies for Telus sub-brands. If you're willing to take my word for it, there's nothing to it on the RAN.

canucks4life
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@echf wrote:

(speculation. no evidences!)

I think this new price is not Telus's call alone. Bell may have push the price increase at the back.

Public Mobile start disrupting the balance between the BIG 3.

The top secret tower sharing plan for sure (99%) is controlling a balance between Telus and Bell. In order to keep the balance right, PM's expansion has to come to a stop. Especially Bell may be very angry about the new PM massive marketing marketing campaign. 

DING! Bell put pressure on Telus -> PM immediately kill itself by rise the price

@echf Seems about right to me too even if Bell  is not involved. Perhaps @Jeremy_M and the team actually salvaged PM's low end by convincing Telus to try out the capped LTE plans. Robot wink 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

jeffster1970

@sheytoon wrote:

@jeffster1970

Where did you get the information that there is some sort of priority on the network that prefers Telus users to Koodo or PM? Can you elaborate on where this prioritization occurs? In the RAN or core? Do you have evidence you can share?

I can't answer that, as I can't remember where I heard it, either at RFD or HowardForums. Wasn't here tho, IIRC.  From what I do recall, it would be RAN.  So it wouldn't affect everyone, perhaps just people at over-saturated locations (such as a sporting event, or concert).  To me, reading about it, it made perfect sense, and it didn't seem at that time, it would be a massive concern to most users. 

Now someone just suggested that perhaps Bell is pressuring Telus.  Not into conspiracy theories, but it seems like a legitimate concern. 

echf

I think this new price is not Telus's call alone. Bell may have push the price increase at the back.

Public Mobile start disrupting the balance between the BIG 3.

The top secret tower sharing plan for sure (99%) is controlling a balance between Telus and Bell. In order to keep the balance right, PM's expansion has to come to a stop. Especially Bell may be very angry about the new PM massive marketing marketing campaign. 

DING! Bell put pressure on Telus -> PM immediately kill itself by rise the price

@makkahn28

Alek is a former Bell and Rogers executive. He never intended for the original (independent) PM to be a viable long term competitor. He built a dirt-cheap CDMA network with ZTE, had limited coverage on an obscure spectrum with almost zero phone support. Then he sold the company as soon as he could to Telus and made a nice profit, along with his investors.

Now PM is a fully owned subsidiary of Telus, and Telus calls all the shots.

@jeffster1970

Where did you get the information that there is some sort of priority on the network that prefers Telus users to Koodo or PM? Can you elaborate on where this prioritization occurs? In the RAN or core? Do you have evidence you can share?

jeffster1970

@Luddite wrote:

The kicker is data. LTE prices have jumped everywhere except Freedom. Oligarchies are not pretty when it comes to pricing! 👺

Ironically, for some, it might be better to go get the new Freedom $55 3GB LTE Canada-Wide plan and select Telus as the preferred network on their phone, as it doesn't matter if you select Home or Away. Just don't go over...

I'll give it to August and plans will be changed again.  Of course, for us ex-Freedom users, the plan we got probably is the best plan anywhere. No more roaming either....sweet. 

shawnie_boy

@doctorbe wrote:

I'm on the middle one, I joined in January, I pay $135, or $45 a month not including discounts. So from $45 to $65 is a 44% increase. And they tried to sell it like they were doing us all a favour--remember we are "the PUblic Mobile community" under their branding-- that's the worst part. I thought this company was different than the others but it's clear now that I was mistaken. 

Your plan isn't changing unless you change it yourself. This is for new customers 

jeffster1970

What I don't understand is that Public Mobile 3G is actually pretty fast, if you have the LTE plan. (just did a speedtest without LTE and got 17.5Mbps, vs about 100Mbps LTE).  

Hopefully all of us that are satified with our current plans (which I am) don't see any changes any time soon. 

To the telco's, is it really that hard to provide decent prices for cellular to Canadians? Obviously it isn't, as PM has shown, but it seems that eventually greed gets in the way.

doctorbe

I'm on the middle one, I joined in January, I pay $135, or $45 a month not including discounts. So from $45 to $65 is a 44% increase. And they tried to sell it like they were doing us all a favour--remember we are "the PUblic Mobile community" under their branding-- that's the worst part. I thought this company was different than the others but it's clear now that I was mistaken. 

Alternativley, these are the 90 day plans

• Unlimited Canada-wide talk, global text and 3 GB of LTE data is $165/90 days [$55/month].

• Unlimited Canada-wide talk, global text and 6 GB of LTE data is $195/90 days [$65/month].

• Unlimited Canada-wide talk, global text and 12 GB of LTE data is $240/90 days [$80/month].

doctorbe

And those guys all have phones and support and roaming that works and a website that doesn't suck. It's a craptastic disgrace. 

So disappointed PM, and looking forward to your response @Jeremy_M

edit: and wifi calling. 

I've decided to do a phone plan price comparison given all the upproar and feedback everyone has been showing. Im trying to keep everything related in some way (Canada Wide Calling, Texting, and 3GB over 30 days. We will use 2GB for PM just because. Please note this is Ontario based prices for comparison, may be different depending on your area. PM compare.JPG

fido promo.JPG

Fido with fido roam and spotify is currently $65 for 3GB of data

Virgin Mobiles 3GB planVirgin Mobiles 3GB plankoodo.JPGI decided to do this as a comparisson to the smaller 3 players. I'd assume the real Big 3 prices will be somewhat more expensive, but in Ontario these are what prices are currently looking like

EDIT: The PM Price is currently $70 for the above image

@jeffster1970 wrote:

I'm going to put it out there, though I could be wrong.

Public Mobile is an MVNO.  It's not likely that they have an actual CEO, or really anything. 

I am guess they have a fairly small staff running the entire thing, which runs on the Telus network. 

I am thinking too that the Freedom promo pulled in more than enough new customers that at this point, they risk having some network congestion because of that. Remember when it comes to who gets what, it's Telus>Koodo>Public Mobile. 

I am hoping, after coming from Freedom, that they're not planning on a bait and switch.  But I imagine if they tried, there would be some headaches that might not be worth it in the end, and likely Rogers/Fido/Chatr would step in to play mop-up duties. 

You keep hoping that at some point that our 3 (4 if you include Shaw) major carriers would come up with really good plans, but I really don't see it happening. 

Public Mobile is a division of Telus.  They use the same network, so there's no concern that a tiny promo would congest the network.  

I think the Freedom promo was an effort to suck FM dry knowing that a major price increase was in the works. It also limited the low price to a smaller number.
Current pricing up to 2 GB/30 days is actually still slightly lower than everyone else. At least based on my meanderings. PM does still offer the best deal for unlimited calling, and unlimited calling/texting plus the flexibility for even lower if you go provincial only. 
The kicker is data. LTE prices have jumped everywhere except Freedom. Oligarchies are not pretty when it comes to pricing! 👺

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

jeffster1970

I'm going to put it out there, though I could be wrong.

Public Mobile is an MVNO.  It's not likely that they have an actual CEO, or really anything. 

I am guess they have a fairly small staff running the entire thing, which runs on the Telus network. 

I am thinking too that the Freedom promo pulled in more than enough new customers that at this point, they risk having some network congestion because of that. Remember when it comes to who gets what, it's Telus>Koodo>Public Mobile. 

I am hoping, after coming from Freedom, that they're not planning on a bait and switch.  But I imagine if they tried, there would be some headaches that might not be worth it in the end, and likely Rogers/Fido/Chatr would step in to play mop-up duties. 

You keep hoping that at some point that our 3 (4 if you include Shaw) major carriers would come up with really good plans, but I really don't see it happening. 

It's pretty clear that community users, customers, and potential customers are pretty unhappy about the plan changes.  But what would you expect the upper management at Public Mobile to say?

Anything is just going to be some textbook forward looking statement that says nothing.  It'll be something such as "Thank you for your feedback.  We are constantly evaluating our prices and services offerings and will continue to offer great value and choice for customers".  That is not an actual quote but you'd only get a statement such as that which really says nothing.

Plus, Public already knows customers are unhappy.  Anyhthing that they say can quickly be interpretted as them just arguing with the customers which wouldn't accomplish anything.

Even then, for all we know, these plans changes could be a way of winding things down, although no one at the company would ever admit to that.  Telus would much rather have customers on the more mainstream brands, and postpaid at that. 

For now, things for existing customers are fine.  But at any time, espeicially if there is ever any announcement about any possible price increase for current customers,  anyone can can just switch carriers if unhappy.  I think that part of what is making customers upset about these plan changes results from the new plans being so similar to Chatr, that the element of consumer choice is being greatly reduced.

guinness22
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
Please reduce your prices back to 40 a month LTE 2 GB. Flat month rate . The average Pm client is on fixed incomes and they cannot afford 65 a month . If u want you can increase add on data to 60 a GB but Please have a fair deal of 4O a month

PM deserves much more better than what's occurring lately

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
pm yerms of service state they can change the plans and provide 30 notice i belive. Most have a 90 terms and its pm choice to let us keep or make us change plans. History shows they let people keep plans or have given modest increases ($3 for legasy customers).

Really no sence worring about the future bc we are not in the decosion makers. Enjoy the saving and plan you have. Keep. An eye out for other deals and switch if you find something better, stay if you don't.

Watoko
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@shawnie_boy, no carrier has the right to just change your plan. What they CAN do is stop offering your current plan and switch you to one of their current plans, but they would have to give you at least 30 days advance notice. Therefore, you still have a buffer window of 30 days to consider your options.

What a Shame.
The Founder of Public Mobile, Mr. Alek Krstajic had a Dream, a Dream of a Carrier that gave so much for fair competitive price.
Tel Us comes along
Now, we all hoped that Alek's dream would be alive and well, Kicking and thriving, But now we're deeply concerned that the End has Come, that this is NOW a Dead end.

shawnie_boy

It doesn't make sense to me PM would have the 4gb $38 promo and get so many people over and then change everything about their company. This is very strange. @CS_Agent what are the rules about plan changes. Will PM force previous customers to ever change their plan? 

IWIK
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville
You're right to start this thread. We need more threads so they're 'searchable'....

And this is a different topic, PM's defence

MVP

@doctorbe wrote:

A craptastic disgrace

😉 One could not say better. I'm now only staying with PM on one foot,

with the other one ready to embark on more realistic options.

That was a "brilliant" way for PM  to commit a suicide 😉 

Yea I can see what Rogers did with Mobilicity eventually happening here in the future

@zhadj030 wrote:

@doctorbe

No need to create any new topics to bash the new rates.

Here join the train in this topic : 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/We-ve-Expanded-Our-Offerings-Introducin...

For your questions no need for them to tell you that: 

What do you think ? Who owns PM? And who shares infrastructure with Telus ?

It is logical,

-How do the price increases comport with a vision of Public Mobile as a full service mobile competitor that competes on price (i.e. The business model that we have all invested in)?

Most likely that model either died, not cared for or just not interesting for Bellus at this point for generating an even greater profit, it is only used when compititors are having good promos to counter. 

Or simply that Telus don't want anymore new subscribers at the moment as they may feel that they gained too many people then anticipated from their members or friends (Bell and co)

You must be joking that Telus doesn't want any more customers.  Sure they do, but they want customers paying high prices for 3G data at speeds that were considered acceptable 5 years ago. 

@doctorbe, you totally hit the spot with your dissertation.  I am really thinking that the experiment is coming to a close.  We will probably be blended with Koodo so that Telus can run their edition of chatr.  RIP Public Mobile.

zhadj030
Mayor / Maire

@doctorbe

No need to create any new topics to bash the new rates.

Here join the train in this topic : 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/We-ve-Expanded-Our-Offerings-Introducin...

For your questions no need for them to tell you that: 

What do you think ? Who owns PM? And who shares infrastructure with Telus ?

It is logical,

Most likely that model either died, not cared for or just not interesting for Bellus at this point for generating an even greater profit, it is only used when compititors are having good promos to counter. 

Or simply that Telus don't want anymore new subscribers at the moment WITH THE GREAT RELATIVELY LOW RATE as they may feel that they gained too many people then anticipated from their members or friends (Bell and co)

Edit : what is in Caps, believe me I am not screaming  (That was my meaning @will13am)

Need Help? Let's chat.