Did you mean: 

$90 for 90 days IS BACK

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

Well almost the same:

Old Plan - provincial calling, Canada texting, 1 GB LTE for $90

Current Offerprovincial calling, global texting, 1.5 GB 3G for $90

I've been testing 3G data and find it perfectly adequate for my uses when on the road - Gasbuddy, Google Maps with directions, searches for nearest Tim's, and the odd web search for sightseeing. So, I plan to "downgrade" my data connection for the gain in texting and data allowance.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.
19 REPLIES 19

You take a little hiatus, and so much changes! lol  Glad to see the oracles continuing to share their expertise. Thumb Up

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Welcome back, @daredogg!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

mimmo

@daredogg the only throttled plans are the ones specifically stating 3g.

Good idea @mimmo to really reduce costs... especially if someone occassionally needs data.

I've been away for a number of months, and I was surprised to see so many options for data. If anything, it makes it more stressful trying to decide which option is best for your situation. If you've read, "The Paradox of Choice" by Barry Schwartz, you'll know what I mean. More choice isn't always a better solution. I think I'll keep my $105 over 90 day plan with 3GB. I sure hope they're not throttling older plans (from Aug 2016 for me).

danielj
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I still think is some regards it would be nice if it was a more "official" plan and did not have to play around with add-ons (as I mentioned in another thread) and it could help drive more main stream of "official" plans prices down.

mimmo

dont forget the other option for very light data users (I mentioned ths in another thread).  the 30$ data addon.  

get the $23 talk and text plan add 30$ data addon at LTE speed.  Anything over 4 months and you are spending less than $90/90.  My mom has had this for two months and she is at 20 mb.  (she turns data on and off)

danielj
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

To some degree I still want to see them bring back a $90, 90-day plan that inglude 4G/LTE if it is with 1GB or 1.5GB. Overall though it is nice having some more options and that they brought some sort of $90 90-day plan back.

@wetcoaster wrote:

Thanks, @Luddite - your insight is appreciated.

I'm on WiFi at home and at work, which is probably more than 95% of my internet time. While I've come to appreciate having data available on the go, I seem to be of that generation that doesn't need to be online 24/7...to who

Not just the 24/7 scene, but also too frugal to pay cellular data charges when I can just wait a bit until I get home, or to a friend's place.

Thanks, @Luddite - your insight is appreciated.

I'm on WiFi at home and at work, which is probably more than 95% of my internet time. While I've come to appreciate having data available on the go, I seem to be of that generation that doesn't need to be online 24/7...

@wetcoaster In 2+ years with 1 GB for 90 days I have never used it all. Of course, the home internet service picks up the slack. And we never stream to the phone when away from home.

@computergeek541 wrote:

This doesn't seem bad at all for very light data users.  I suspect that some people who would be fine with 1.5GB over 90 days won't go for it because they want a bit more of a buffer when using the internet.  I suppose it depends on each particular user. 

Just having this choice in a plan (again) is nice. Falling into your "very light data user" category, I would need to get into the habit of a binge-watching youtube videos on my phone the day or two before plan renewal to use up my data if I was on a 3GB/90days plan. Robot tongue

This doesn't seem bad at all for very light data users.  I suspect that some people who would be fine with 1.5GB over 90 days won't go for it because they want a bit more of a buffer when using the internet.  I suppose it depends on each particular user. 

@Luddite wrote:

@wetcoaster Double check current pricing on Talk & Text. I think it's dropped a bit?

Agree that Data add-on is a competitor in your situation. When I switched to the 1 GB/90 days plan I just left my data add-on in place; still not used up in 2 years.

@Luddite 

Yes, I had noticed that provincial talk & text has come down and have future dated my plan renewal accordingly. Thanks for mentioning it, though!

May I ask how close to using up your 1GB/90days you got on average? (Looks like we might have a similar data usage pattern...)

srlawren

@cricketfan wrote:

Hmmm , to lose or not to lose, my 12GB/$120 LTE for 1.5GB/$90 HSPA. But nonetheless good plan for those who want to save money as their primary motive.

@cricketfan unless you're using nowhere near your current 12GB allotment, I wouldn't recommend it.

One point of clarificaiton:  the "3G" data plans aren't actually HSPA.  They are actually delivered exactly the same as the LTE plans: over LTE where available, with fallback to HSPA/HSPA+ when not (no LTE coverage in that area, or your phone doesn't have a compatible LTE band in that area).  The only difference is that the LTE plans are not throttled, while the "3G" data plans are artificially throttled to 2.5Mbps down and 2.5Mbps up.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@wetcoaster Double check current pricing on Talk & Text. I think it's dropped a bit?

Agree that Data add-on is a competitor in your situation. When I switched to the 1 GB/90 days plan I just left my data add-on in place; still not used up in 2 years.

edmonch2013
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Good for some people less internet usage but mainly on Talk and Text. Just refered a friend of mine signed this deal. 

@cricketfan wrote:

Hmmm , to lose or not to lose, my 12GB/$120 LTE for 1.5GB/$90 HSPA. But nonetheless good plan for those who want to save money as their primary motive.

Different target group, I would say?

For people who only occasionally use data $30 per month for provincial talk, unlimited text and 500mb data (before autopay reward) is a nice deal.

(On the fence here... the talk&text plan with data add-on has served my needs very well so far.)

@cricketfan wrote:

No need for you to change UNLESS you think 3G would suffice and you want 18 GB instead of 12. Besides, you can always renew your current plan early if you need extra data; you're only paying $10/GB.

cricketfan
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Need Help? Let's chat.