cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8.5gig finishes in about 3 weeks

Ayxmania101
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello everyone, I subscribed for the $50 plan and I get 8.5gig regularly, however, this outgoing month, I my usage says I've used 8.2gig or so. It's strange because I have wifi at home and almost everywhere I go. Can this be an error from Public Mobile?

15 REPLIES 15

hyT
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I agree with @geopublic . Turn data off unless you know for sure you don't have WiFi and must use data to perform what you need to do. My phone has an easy way to do that. I just swipe from the top of the screen and tap the 4G icon to grey it out (turn off). When you're out and about, it's easy to turn it back on.

Screenshot_20200523-054212_1_1.jpg

@Ayxmania101  My recommendation would be when you are home on WiFi turn your data off manually to determine if your WiFi is the problem.

@Ayxmania101 I would suggest going through your usage and look for any spikes, take note of the time of day. Another option is you can toggle your data on and off. When you are not using it turn it off so your phone will not use it at all. Some phones have a feature when the wifi signal is weak it will switch to data. Another huge issue is when you update your operating system it can eat up huge chunks of data. 

Have a wonderful weekend. 

Ayxmania101

Thank you so much, I hope to get to the root of this.

@Ayxmania101 maybe add a $15.00 1G add on to hold you over. I would check through your apps and just see which one is data intensive. I use grammarly and it eats data like cookie monster eats cookies. 

Ayxmania101

Thank you everyone, I have read and checked my phone, my wifi is switched on automatically when I'm in familiar places. I still can't phantom what happened. February and March, I used less than 2gig, April I used 11gig plus, May I'm using 7gig plus. Something doesn't add up.

hyT

Screenshot_20200523-054547_1_1.jpg

hyT

It is my habit to glance at the notification area on the top right corner of my screen before I use my phone. I make sure it is on Wi-Fi and not on data. That is to make sure my Wi-Fi is not off without my knowledge. It can chew up your data quickly if you're streaming video while inadvertently using data.

@Ayxmania101   Very occasionally plan data does not reset but for the moderators to reset it you would have to have before and after screenshots of your data counter or your overview page to prove that there was a mistake made. I highly recommend doing this before and after your renewal for your records .

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Ayxmania101 wrote:

Hello everyone, I subscribed for the $50 plan and I get 8.5gig regularly, however, this outgoing month, I my usage says I've used 8.2gig or so. It's strange because I have wifi at home and almost everywhere I go. Can this be an error from Public Mobile?

@Ayxmania101  Is it possible that Wi-Fi was down for a period of time without realizing it? Just check your data usage on your device to find the culprit(s). Just make sure the start date you select matches your plan's start date and take a look at what apps used up the majority of your data.

fdrcamb519
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Ayxmania101 

@Ayxmania101 wrote:

It has happened to me, I'm at home for some reason i have Wifi, off, realize, i'm using data, at home. could be an option to what happen to data consumption.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@Ayxmania101 go to your app store and check to see if "auto-update apps over mobile data" is enabled and disable it.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Ayxmania101  what's the make and model of your phone? Thanks. 

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@Ayxmania101 wrote:

You can check your usage in your overview page on the left it shows what you used then click on usage history and it will show you what is using all that data. Have you been video conferencing using data? I used Facebook video while I was in the hospital last week on data and it used up 750mb in 40mins. 

Check your apps you are using and make sure none are running in the background.

Not likely a Public Mobile discrepancy their tracking would be really accurate. 

An error at Public Mobile certainly impossible, but about how much does your device say that you've used? Keep in mind that phone counters are usually keeping track in one month intervals.

Need Help? Let's chat.