cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$60 Grandfathered 8.5 GB plan with 2 GB US data per month

montreal501
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I apologize if I am doing this incorrectly but I don't have a lot of experience with forums.

I was wondering if a moderator or whoever has authority to look at my request to step in and assist.

I am currently on the $60 8.5 GB plan with 2 GB of US data included per month. As I travel for work, this plan has been beyond perfect since I got it last August.

However, with the pandemic and travel restrictions over the last few months, it has been next to useless for me. I am stuck at home on Wi-Fi using virtually no data.

I know this plan is no longer available but would Public Mobile under the circumstances allow users on this plan to downgrade temporarily and then move back to this plan when things get back to normal?

I want to keep this plan and want to stay with Public but can't justify charging my company $60 plus tax when I can get a lower cost plan with Fizz that still allows US calling (I need to retain being able to call the US) with a smaller data allowance for $40. I'll gladly pay $60 for something I can use but not for something I cannot with no idea of when I might be able to use it.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you're able to offer.

10 REPLIES 10

And be very diligent at keeping track of the time your $60 plan is suspended. Let it go past the 90 days and the plan is gone along with your phone number. Do the renewal a few days prior to 90 days in suspension and then use that phone and plan for the 30 days before letting it suspend again. Getting creative you can switch your alternate plan down to $15 for that month if their renewal dates align closely.

I would check to see What the moderators can do for you before going to the more complicated Plan B of suspending and replacing with a lower cost plan.

AE_Collector

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Anonymous wrote:

@montreal501 

Buy and activate another SIM and account and get the $25 plan. Get whatever temporary number. It's a work phone, they'll get over it. Then get the 400 minute add-on for those US calls. I could even suggest the $15 plan and the 500 minute Canada add-on.

Let the $60 account suspend at the end of its term (or suspend it yourself if you have a balance). 85 or so days later, reactivate the $60 plan. Do that as often as you need until you're able to make more use of the plan.

Keep buying the 400 minute add-on for those US calls.

@Anonymous I like this workaround, it's a good idea as long as @montreal501 (and their employer) is okay with them temporarily having a different phone number.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

No, @montreal501 if you switch the plan, its now extinct,  gone forever. An equivalent Fizz US hybrid plan with 8 gigs of data is $56. So, for $ less, with autopay,  You are going with Fizz? Also, with the PM plan your US data is separate, if you burn thtough it,  the Canadian is still there when you come home. Stay safe. 

@montreal501 

Its certainly understandable feeling like you cant justify the cost of your $60 US plan ( but if you lose it justifying the added expense of roaming would likely wipe out any cost savings over the long term.) Downgrading to the $50 plan or lower or to another carrier with a less reliable network to save $20 per month isn't that economical business wise.

@Anonymous has the best suggestion to accomplish some significant enough savings to  justify the hassle (usually why a work phone will just pay the added expense to avoid.) With a little luck you might be able to activate on a flash sale promotion as well.

As you get close to the $60 plan renewal activate a new sim ($5 at pm currently) a couple of days before the $60 and suspend it on the last day of its cycle. Unless theres a promo and youre still mostly working from home activate on the $15 plan and add the $15/400min international and the $5/500min calling add ons. After referring yourself for the $10 referral credit your initial outlay will be : $5 sim+$15 plan +$20 calling add ons=$40 - $10 credit=$30  If travel bans lift you can unsuspend the $60 plan but otherwise you  wait until day 85 to day 87 and unsuspend the $60 plan and suspend the $15 plan or you could keep it and call forward any calls to the $60 plan phone.        

Repeat  process on the next renewal until normal business resumes. Keeping the current plan would cost $720 a year the alternating plans with the initial calling add ons will cost about $330 for a year. A cost savings of $390 per year.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@montreal501, unfortunately if you change your plan it won't be available to be applied when you need it back.  I am in the same situation I am on the Fall Promo which is 12GB for $120 over 90 days of LTE.  I haven't used 1GB halfway through my plan and would be so beneficial to be able to change plans and come back to it but that isn't how it works and I will just stay with the plan as it is too good to give up.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@montreal501 A plan that is no longer offered cannot be switched back to. I would say that that the best that you could hope for would be possibly be a $10 credit using the argument that roaming cannot be used when there are travel restrictions. I would keep in mind that Public Mobile doesn't have to do this. The reason that I mention a $10 credit is because of the fact that you're paying exactly $10 more per 30 days compared to the current $50 plan that is identical except for the roaming aspect.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@montreal501 

Buy and activate another SIM and account and get the $25 plan. Get whatever temporary number. It's a work phone, they'll get over it. Then get the 400 minute add-on for those US calls. I could even suggest the $15 plan and the 500 minute Canada add-on.

Let the $60 account suspend at the end of its term (or suspend it yourself if you have a balance). 85 or so days later, reactivate the $60 plan. Do that as often as you need until you're able to make more use of the plan.

Keep buying the 400 minute add-on for those US calls.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@montreal501 wrote:

Hi,

I apologize if I am doing this incorrectly but I don't have a lot of experience with forums.

I was wondering if a moderator or whoever has authority to look at my request to step in and assist.

I am currently on the $60 8.5 GB plan with 2 GB of US data included per month. As I travel for work, this plan has been beyond perfect since I got it last August.

However, with the pandemic and travel restrictions over the last few months, it has been next to useless for me. I am stuck at home on Wi-Fi using virtually no data.

I know this plan is no longer available but would Public Mobile under the circumstances allow users on this plan to downgrade temporarily and then move back to this plan when things get back to normal?

I want to keep this plan and want to stay with Public but can't justify charging my company $60 plus tax when I can get a lower cost plan with Fizz that still allows US calling (I need to retain being able to call the US) with a smaller data allowance for $40. I'll gladly pay $60 for something I can use but not for something I cannot with no idea of when I might be able to use it.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you're able to offer.

Unfortunately, if you change it out to a different plan...you won't be able to get it back when you go back to regular work. That $60 plan isn't currently available so if you think you're going to need it, just keep it.

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

@montreal501 

To contact a moderator to look into your situation choose one of the following.

• Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. Click here to get started.
  • Alternatively, you can send a private message to the Moderators by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@montreal501 Once you change to another plan, you will never get it back. Is it worth?

Need Help? Let's chat.