cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5gb free data

Celibaum
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi!! I have seen lots of people getting text messages for 5gb of free data. I have been with public mobile for almost a year and haven't gotten the offer. How do I get it?

13 REPLIES 13

Spudster
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Correct, @versysrob 

If you're within a short time-frame from your next renewal, you could also wait and rely on Wi-Fi services if you're hoping to 'save' the 5GB for some future purposes when you may need data for extended purposes.

Camera4617
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@versysrob wrote:

I have gone over on my data this month but have 5 GB in my bank.  Can I assume I will just use my banked data after I went over what I pay for with my monthly plan?

@versysrob  Correct. As long as you have any data in your account, it will keep using it. First, it always uses your monthly one, then falls back to your (I think) newest add-on (if you have multiple ones like many people on PM do). Then when you next month kicks in, it will switch back to monthly one. This is really great about PM and I'm not sure that any other company does it this way. Plus, those add-ons never expire, they are there till you use them then they are gone from the page.. 

@versysrob Your plan data is used first then your add-on data will be used and rollovers to next month until it is used up.

versysrob
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have gone over on my data this month but have 5 GB in my bank.  Can I assume I will just use my banked data after I went over what I pay for with my monthly plan?

@computergeek541 

Public Mobile is still a business. And it's still subordinate to Telus directives.

All their kneejerk responses over the last year - covid assists, free gifts, brazen "Peace Of Mind" offers, awesome promos, lousy promos, tailored promo codes, price increases, etc - all that good and bad wobbling around - suggest to me that some busy executive or team of executives is constantly reacting instead of proacting. I don't think the third-tier brand/department gets as much competent "big picture" oversight as it should.

@Korth wrote:

@Dunkman wrote:

Public mobile did offer 5 GB data promo data add ons last year when Shaw mobile offered their "free" plans to customers based in BC and Alberta.  One time data add on.  

And by the same time next year ...

Public Mobile will still be in business, will likely still be handing out free holiday gifts (add-ons) to Public Mobile customers. Stick around for that year and also start getting some Loyalty Rewards (discounts), lol.

While Shaw Mobile (and Shaw/Freedom Mobile customers) will be absorbed into Rogers. Existing plans may or may not see price increases. But, looking at what Rogers offers, they certainly aren't going to see any price decreases.

It's quite possible that Public Mobile will give away long distance and free data next Decembers. However, what I don't get is what's the point of that if they then turnaround and make the plans worse?  Any goodwill that they've earned is largely lost, even through the province-wide calling plan changes largely don't affect existing customers except for those wanting to change to a different plan.

@Dunkman wrote:

Public mobile did offer 5 GB data promo data add ons last year when Shaw mobile offered their "free" plans to customers based in BC and Alberta.  One time data add on.  

And by the same time next year ...

Public Mobile will still be in business, will likely still be handing out free holiday gifts (add-ons) to Public Mobile customers. Stick around for that year and also start getting some Loyalty Rewards (discounts), lol.

While Shaw Mobile (and Shaw/Freedom Mobile customers) will be absorbed into Rogers. Existing plans may or may not see price increases. But, looking at what Rogers offers, they certainly aren't going to see any price decreases.

prairiedogbob
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Celibaum 

I had just missed out on that free gift of 5 GB of data last summer I activated just after that. But I did get the more the merrier campaigns free gifts of 2 GB of data and 500 minutes of international long distance. If you opted out of getting promotional texts and emails you can contact the moderators to opt back in so you won't miss out the next time.

@Celibaum 

Most of the free 5GB data promotions are for new customers who signed up for promotions (most recently, Boxing day and News years day promos).  Not usually for existing customers. 

Existing customers can get the holiday give away promotions the last couple of Christmas holidays.  But, the data promo was 1-2 free GB data add on. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Celibaum : Last year, BC and AB got some freebies. Then Xmas time we all got some freebies.

Are you one of those that hates getting things from the companies you subscribe to and so you block everything? In this case, texts were sent out. Even some emails. Snooze, y'lose and all that 🙂

Or are you talking about promos that come and go and include some extra data? Those are almost always for new activations.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Celibaum 

Usually around mid-December Public Mobile releases holiday bonuses which includes a combination of free data and/or international minutes.

Make sure to set your calendar for then to check the Announcements section on the community homepage!!!

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Celibaum wrote:

Hi!! I have seen lots of people getting text messages for 5gb of free data. I have been with public mobile for almost a year and haven't gotten the offer. How do I get it?

@Celibaum ,

If you are a current customer you wait for an Announcement to be posted or Invites for these particular promos or offers.

Check out the Community Announcements once in a while, there may be something that comes up. But if Public Mobile does selecting of who gets it make sure to check your text message regularly as well for any Invites / offers directed to you.

Need Help? Let's chat.