cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

500 holiday rewards

parsnips
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello, complete and utter newbie here I know nothing about phones

I had to lend my phone to a friend she used all but 7 of my monthly minutes.  I signed up for the free 500 minutes but it is listed as long distance minutes.  I have $55 credit on my account so I'm sure I am ok but are the 500 free minutes ok to use as local calling?  If not will I get hit with a high charge to my balance because I went over my monthly minutes? thank you

28 REPLIES 28

@charlgarr wrote:

I dont know how

Go to your text app , compose a text.  in the To field where you usually type a phone number, just type 4911

on the body of the text, type YES

Alternatively, you can open a ticket with PM support by using private message:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

charlgarr

I dont know how

Anonymous
Not applicable

@charlgarr : If you got the text from 4911 then you need to reply to that in text with that Yes.

charlgarr

YES

@PS60 wrote:

Hi...new to the Community and just wondering if this More the Merrier add ons is on for a specific time frame and if so do we need to cancel the free add ons or is it done automatically....tks

Add-ons stay on your account for as long as your account is in good standing until you use them all up. The add-ons won't convert to paid versions, so there's no need to cancel anything.

PS60
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi...new to the Community and just wondering if this More the Merrier add ons is on for a specific time frame and if so do we need to cancel the free add ons or is it done automatically....tks

parsnips

thank you for reminding me incoming minutes are free, my friend had lost her phone

Thanks for the kind words.  The community is a foundation for the unique support model for this service.  While it's not perfect, it has proven it's mettle over the years as this service has grown significantly.

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

@parsnips, next time, ask your friend if the other person can call you on the phone as all incoming calls are unlimited. Granted, shouldn't your friend have her own phone?

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@dougc 

You can add your pin when calling from your own phone if you like as a security precaution.

Call voicemail. Press 4 then press 8 to turn it on.

You can also use textnow app (many do including myself). Free Canadian number in your area to call USA/Canada for free. Works over wifi or data. Simply open app, call your real cell number, voicemail starts to play, press star enter password. Easier than asking to borrow someone's phone, etc.

I did a quick how to on link below.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Community/How-to-15-plan-Check-Voicemail-Free-Textnow...

dougc
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@JK8 

And  we also need to remember our password aka pin  !    😉

I was reminded of that when I thought to try out your mention of the  *  access function from another phone,   calling my mobile number. 

Earlier (till a month ago) I did not realize that using my mobile to call my own number to access voicemail (pin not required),   does use up plan minutes,   as the call is still actually  "outgoing"  (Not a freebie internal function) !  

p.s.

that 500 for $5  is a terrific deal !   Might have to buy one this month.

@parsnips Glad that you like it! Hope you enjoy service and savings here😉

parsnips

I am overwhelmed with the responses to my "500 holiday minutes" questions what a wonderful community with much gratitude parsnips

@parsnips 

FYI,

With the $15 plan you are limited to 100 outgoing minutes. Seconds are rounded up to the closest minute. (eg. A 10 second call is rounded up to 1 minute). As well, checking your voicemail with your phone will use up outgoing minutes too. You can use another phone to check your voicemail. Dial your number and press * at the greeting.

parsnips

done and done!

parsnips

this is a well thought out reply to a newbie i really appreciate it

parsnips

it's ok she's a great gal came over with her credit card all apologetic frantically telling me she had to buy me more minutes.

parsnips

thanks

parsnips

thank you

That is interesting, @JoyLuck , thanks for providing.

I would certainly hope that if the OP adds the $5 / 500 minute add-on, that those minutes would be consumed for in-Canada calling BEFORE any add-on which can be used for international calling.

@HALIMACS wrote:

Hi @parsnips 

Personally what I would recommend is to buy a $5.00 add-on for 500 additional minutes.  The great thing about these add-ons is they NEVER expire so you'll always have any unused minutes carry over to subsequent renewals until you use deplete them.

This way you can 'save' your international minutes bonus add-on for any future instances when you might really want to use international minutes.

I would suggest, if you can afford, to have 2 500 minute add-ons. And the nice thing PM has given me a couple of them. In hind sight I should not have bought any....I had no idea how good PM is to us. So buy 2 extra....one gets used up and then buy another and for the average low user.....you will never run out of calling minutes. And even call Aunt Mable in Nova Scotia!!

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@parsnips , this is a prepaid service that operates a little differently than other prepaid services in that account funds will only be used to automatically renew your 30 day plan.  Other uses of the account funds has to involve manual intervention.  This avoids surprise charges and what other services would refer to as overage costs.  The minutes add-on every account was given for free are available to use when the included minutes in a limited usage plan are consumed.  When these minutes are used up, the system will not convert account funds into more add-on minutes.  The user has to purchase the minutes manually.  In this way you are in total control of your costs.  

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Hi @parsnips 

Personally what I would recommend is to buy a $5.00 add-on for 500 additional minutes if you're going to exceed your plan's 100 available minutes.  The great thing about these add-ons is they NEVER expire so you'll always have any unused minutes carry over to subsequent renewals until you use deplete them.

This way you can 'save' your 500 international minutes Holiday bonus add-on for any future instances when you might really want to use international minutes.

@parsnips 

All of your minutes...your 100 per 30 days....your 500 add-on are all Canada wide. Canada Wide means long distance and local. Just remember you have to use +1 as normal for LD calls. But all come out of the same pot!!

RosieR
Mayor / Maire

@parsnips wrote:

Hello, complete and utter newbie here I know nothing about phones

I had to lend my phone to a friend she used all but 7 of my monthly minutes.  I signed up for the free 500 minutes but it is listed as long distance minutes.  I have $55 credit on my account so I'm sure I am ok but are the 500 free minutes ok to use as local calling?  If not will I get hit with a high charge to my balance because I went over my monthly minutes? thank you

Hi @parsnips shame on your friend.  That was nice of you to lend your phone to your friend.  but I guess you didn't tell your friend that you are on limited minutes, huh?  lol   Good thing Public Mobile gave us free gifts this holiday season.   You're safe!  

Happy Holidays!  🎄🎄🎄

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@parsnips Joyluck was saying that there are no extra charges. That's true but $55 in your account can't be used to pay for more long distance unlesss you buy an add-on.

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

@parsnips 

Yes, you can use the free promo international minutes for local calling. There are no extra charges at PM. It is all prepaid. Once your plan minutes are used up your promo add on will kick in for the remainder of your current cycle.

Need Help? Let's chat.