cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$50 vs $60 plan?

BenKayfetz
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey Guys,

Last year I bought the $60 plan that included US roaming and US data. I was looking into the plans now because with what's going on in the world I will not be going to the US for the foreseeable future.

When I log in to my account it now tells me my $60 plan includes: (no mention of US roaming and US data)

60.JPG

And the $50 plan says it includes:

50.JPG

They seem to be exactly the same...

Am I being charged $10/ for nothing?

Thanks

Ben

25 REPLIES 25

@Ketesdi 

I will quote myself from earlier this year and earlier in this thread:

Under your plans and add ons on your overview page you should see two listings for data . One for ?/8704 MB (8.5gb) and one with no usage 0/2048 MB (2.0gb). These are the only indicators in your account that you do have the $60 US/Canada roaming plan.

Does this answer your question? If you feel the need you can contact the modeŕators to confirm this for you. But the wait for non urgent customer service is 2-8 hours or longer...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ketesdi 

This is an image from a user that had it last year. You should have the 2GB line on your overview page. I wonder if you could tell us what you see under View my usage next to data & add-ons. Not the upper one.

@Ketesdi wrote:
My Plan

• This plan includes: -
  • 8.5GB at 3G Speed
  • Unlimited International Text
  • Unlimited Talk to Canada and the US
$60 per 30 Days

That plan includes roaming. If it didn't, the plan would be $50.

Ketesdi
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
My Plan

• This plan includes: -
  • 8.5GB at 3G Speed
  • Unlimited International Text
  • Unlimited Talk to Canada and the US
$60 per 30 Days

@Ketesdi wrote:

I have the same question. When I log into my account it no longer shows that I have unlimited U.S. roaming for calls and text/picture messages as well as 2gb of roaming data.

Why is this not showing up even though I am paying for the same $60 plan at included all of those features?

Unless you did a plan change, you still have all that. Public didn't make changes to the plan.  The plan description could say anything. 

If you look at Data and Add-ons part of account, does it show the 2GB roaming and how much left?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ketesdi 

Maybe you could post a screen snip of your overview page and Plan Details. Blank out personal info of course.

Ketesdi
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have the same question. When I log into my account it no longer shows that I have unlimited U.S. roaming for calls and text/picture messages as well as 2gb of roaming data.

Why is this not showing up even though I am paying for the same $60 plan at included all of those features?

@trgtrg2020 wrote:

@BenKayfetz, The $60 plan should include the US Roaming. You can also check under My Account or email an MOD for confirmation.

Due to borders being closed as a result of COVID-19. Some might think logically it’s better to downgrade to the $50 plan & save $10m. However, once you downgrade you can never get that $60 plan until another promotion appears. If you plan to travel to the US frequently once this pandemic is over I suggest keep your $60 plan. If you have any doubts about travel and tight on money then you should downgrade. Hope this helps!

The information that you have provided is true, but please try to look throught the thread before replying. All of this was stated nearly a month ago

Also, moderators are not contactable by e-mail. They must be contacted by submitting a ticket through SIMon or by private messaging. There's also no need to confirm the plan details with moderators. The plan that BenKayfetz includes U.S. roaming for sure.

trgtrg2020
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@BenKayfetz, The $60 plan should include the US Roaming. You can also check under My Account or email an MOD for confirmation.

Due to borders being closed as a result of COVID-19. Some might think logically it’s better to downgrade to the $50 plan & save $10m. However, once you downgrade you can never get that $60 plan until another promotion appears. If you plan to travel to the US frequently once this pandemic is over I suggest keep your $60 plan. If you have any doubts about travel and tight on money then you should downgrade. Hope this helps!

@BenKayfetz 

Under your plans and add ons on your overview page you should see two listings for data . One for ?/8704 MB (8.5gb) and one with no usage 0/2048 MB (2.0gb). These are the only indicators in your account that you do have the  $60 US/Canada roaming plan.

Only you can decide whether it's worth saving $10 or $20 per month (depending on what plan you change to) and likely losing that plan forever. Public mobile may not ever offer a similar plan and your only choice then would be the 10 day US roaming add ons. The closest equivalent being the US call/text/250mb for $20 (30 days would cost 3×$20=$60.) Downgrading to the $50 plan would save you $120 ($10×12 months.)  1 year being a safe estimate of the amount of time before you would choose to visit US again.

As suggested there are a few options to consider....if the phone number associated with the plan isn't vital you could activate a new sim card possibly with a promotion  (to save a little more money) on the $25 plan. Allow the $60 plan to suspend for 85 - 89 days and renewing for 30 days would net a savings of $120 per year ($144 w/autopay)  or the $15 plan would save you $240 p/yr ($264 w/autopay). You could use the extended absence voicemail greeting to redirect callers to your new temporary number.

You can decide to give up the plan and hope public mobile offers something similar in the future. If this is the case you may want to put an ad on kijiji or Craigslist offering to give it up to someone else who desires that plan despite the current travel ban to all but essential workers. You and the interested party could have a discussion about the benefits of having that plan.

Or you can just keep it and remind yourself how smart you were to get the $60 US roaming plan!

@BenKayfetz 

There was only one $60 plan with 8.5GB ever offered. It includes U.S. roaming. The $50 plan does not. There is no need to contact moderators.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@BenKayfetz 

Do you care about your number?

You could let it go suspended for 90 days then reactivate it for only one cycle and suspend it again for 90 days until you can use it again.

The only reason I say this is because it's so much better deal than roaming add-ons if you do use it and it's not available anymore

In a meantime you can get temporary one for less, if you're always at home you can go much lower than that, 

You also have an option of selling your account, people did look for it here not long ago

@BenKayfetz wrote:

@geopublic  That's what I thought, But there is no mention of the US coverage when I log in.

@BenKayfetz  Yes, that was a known issue as there were other customers concerned at the time that the plan details did not include the US Roaming details. From what I remember the moderators confirmed that the US Roaming was included.

To verify you can submit a ticket to PM and ask them to confirm it. If you are thinking of changing plans I'm pretty sure you will be able to find others willing to takeover/buy your plan if you are interested in selling it.

To submit a ticket to the Moderator Team, please start a conversation with the Public's virtual assistant, SIMon by clicking  here or the icon (bottom right of your screen).

s.JPG

If you are still having problems contacting Public Mobile then click here. The link  sends you to the private message function and adds the moderator team as recipient for a private message. You just have to enter a title and text in the body of the message describing the problem and post. The message will be received by the moderator team and they will respond to it. You will receive the response in your private message inbox.

Please note that account verification may be required when contacting the Moderator Team 

@BenKayfetz hi if you have no plans in going to the U.S. you are wasting your money they will probably offer the plan again once things get better again' personally I would change plans next renewal

Anonymous
Not applicable

@BenKayfetz wrote:

Hey Guys,

Last year I bought the $60 plan that included US roaming and US data. I was looking into the plans now because with what's going on in the world I will not be going to the US for the foreseeable future.

When I log in to my account it now tells me my $60 plan includes: (no mention of US roaming and US data)

Thanks

Ben

On your overview page you should see two lines of data.

1. 2 GB at 3G or something like that

2. 8.5GB at 3G or something like that

The 2Gb is the clue.

That's a coveted plan. It may be of little value these days but it was popular at the time for those that go in and out of the states frequently.

@BenKayfetz wrote:

@dabr The screen shot in my OP is from that page. No mention of US roaming/data:

60.JPG

@BenKayfetz   I may not be remembering exactly, but you should be able to see the US data, perhaps under My Date & Add-Ons?

Edit:  Click View My Usage and see what details appear there.

BenKayfetz

@gpixel  Yes, but you can't go to the US now... And if you did you're probably be bringing home a virus.

BenKayfetz

@dabr The screen shot in my OP is from that page. No mention of US roaming/data:

60.JPG

@BenKayfetz thats a pretty sweet plan for 10 more dollars

zblackma
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

There isn't any need to buy the 10 day roaming addons to use you phone in the US with the $60 plan @BenKayfetz .  If you do decide to switch it, Once done you can't get it back, unless Public Mobile decides to offer it again. 

BenKayfetz

@geopublic  That's what I thought, But there is no mention of the US coverage when I log in.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@BenKayfetz   No you aren't being charged an extra $10, it looks like PM used the template for the $50 plan for the $60 CAN/US plan and whilst the details of the US data don't appear on your overview page, you should be able to see them under Plan Details (top left) of overview page.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@BenKayfetz If you have that grandfathered $60 plan you can roam in the USA with unlimited calling/texting without the time limit on current USA roaming add-ons.

So, they are not the same at all.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@BenKayfetz wrote:

He Guys,

60.JPG

50.JPG

Thanks

Ben

@BenKayfetz  The $50 plan does not include ay type of US Roaming. You must be in Canada to make calls to the US.

Your $60 plan (Not offered anymore) Includes US Roaming of unlimited talk and text and also 2GB of data every 30 days. Big difference!!

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@BenKayfetz ask moderators about it before you switch. if you don't plan on going to the us then saving $10 is a good idea

(use the chat bubble options, then click "submit a ticket, click me" option)
https://publicmobile.ca.ada.support/chat/

Need Help? Let's chat.