cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$5 more for national calling plan?

laoli
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Was told by the sales who signed up me today. Public Mobile will change calling area from national to Provisional only next week.  For $25, you need pay $5 extra in order to call Quebec (from Ontario) , or vice versa.

Will this affect old customer (such as myself) $25 plan? Anybody heard of this price increase?

120 REPLIES 120

@dabr 

Just reading the info on the web site pretty much confirms to me that it is a 500 Mb plan if you set up Autopay. But, I agree, highly unlikely in reality. Not even worth gambling on switching with intent to do battle as even if putting loads of pressure on them they would likely offer 1-2 Gb add-on to call a truce.

AE_Collector

@AE_Collector wrote:

@Nezgar 

Yeah we have had 2 phones on the $15 plan for about a year and a half now. If the wording of the plan description has always been as it is now (per the post from @dabr I think) I never noticed it before. It was only comments in this topic that got me looking closer and thinking it may now come with 250 Mb for everyone and an additional 250 Mb Autopay bonus. I doubt it but I would trade up to this new version right now, (I am 26 hours from renewal) if I thought there was a reasonable chance of winding up with 500 Mb of data.

AE_Collector

@AE_Collector   I doubt very much that the latest version of the $15 plan will give an additional 250mb bonus block of data despite PM's confusing plan details, but if that was the case then I'm sure a lot of us on the previous version of this plan would seriously consider switching to it.   Perhaps a new customer will be able to confirm if that is the case before long...

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@BearFBI wrote:

@mimmo valid point. If telus is doing this to differentiate the 3 brands though then that extremely alters PM's existence. 

PM was originally launched to make cell service not be a luxury. When telus acquired them they embraced that and offered awesome plans that were the lowest in the market. PM has gone through a couple slogans "Less for Less", "Everybody Talk" I forget if there are any others.

PM's Less for Less slogan now is totally not valid, If anything its "the same for less" compared to koodo. Some of koodo's bigger data deal plans are better than Public's. PM is really only good at lower priced plans and now with this change they might just be good at nothing. PM will totally suck and the only thing good about it will be the reward system that takes ages to build up. 

PM has changed for the worse. Telus is just becoming more greedier and this phone company that used to be great because of the price is now just a joke. 

Agreed, it's getting a little more difficult to see the value proposition in PM outside of the lower end plans or cumulative rewards (refer a friend, etc.) for longstanding customers.

@Nezgar 

Yeah we have had 2 phones on the $15 plan for about a year and a half now. If the wording of the plan description has always been as it is now (per the post from @dabr I think) I never noticed it before. It was only comments in this topic that got me looking closer and thinking it may now come with 250 Mb for everyone and an additional 250 Mb Autopay bonus. I doubt it but I would trade up to this new version right now, (I am 26 hours from renewal) if I thought there was a reasonable chance of winding up with 500 Mb of data.

AE_Collector

@AE_Collector wrote:

Has anyone tried making the change on the $15 plan to the new plan? Or maybe now that it has been a day or two... try the “chat” thing as though a potential new customer? I haven’t won a battle in a long time now so I am certain if I changed to get the extra 250 Mb of data (500 total) it will not work and I will just wind up without Canada wide calling. But it’s tempting!

Didn't that 250/500MB confusion already exist prior to the introduction of the province-wide plans? And that plan definitely has only 250MB, and only when auto-pay was enabled as I am using the plan today.

I'd be tempted to switch to the province wide plan just to get familiar with the nuances of the new plan, but that would not be financially responsible heh... So we'll have to wait for someone to test/confirm things like out of province calling to your voicemail number which might be in a different province..

Has anyone tried making the change on the $15 plan to the new plan? Or maybe now that it has been a day or two... try the “chat” thing as though a potential new customer? I haven’t won a battle in a long time now so I am certain if I changed to get the extra 250 Mb of data (500 total) it will not work and I will just wind up without Canada wide calling. But it’s tempting!

AE_Collector

@darlicious wrote:

@AE_Collector 

All you need is someone to take the plan and push for the extra data. PM still has to adhere to the advertising standards branch and the competition board. 

Tempting because neither of the $15 plans in this household are likely to ever notice that we can no longer call out of BC if we made a plan change but the 500 Mb total data would certainly be put to good use compared to our current 250 Mb! Three days from plan renewal and we are both eating into add-on data a little at the moment.  Then when they officially say “It was an advertising error ... too bad, so sad” we say well put us BACK on the OLD $15 plan with unlimited Canada Calling that we would STILL be on had we not traded it off for twice as much data. A move that normally would be “Impossible to do”.

AE_Collector

@kb_mv wrote:

@dabr wrote:

Anyhow, I think the data will still only be 250mb with the newer version of the $15, just poorly worded, and maybe, designed to create doubt and confusion to keep us (forum helpers) busy when new users ask for clarification on that point. 

Either way the whole thing is disappointing...

@dabr Other than the confusion of 2 versions, the one in my "Change Plans" section is pretty clear....

Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 10.55.21 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 4.59.48 PM.png

@Anonymous 

Is it this?   I'm guessing you'll know what I'm referring to...

@AE_Collector 

All you need is someone to take the plan and push for the extra data. PM still has to adhere to the advertising standards branch and the competition board. 

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@kb_mv wrote:

@dabr wrote:

Anyhow, I think the data will still only be 250mb with the newer version of the $15, just poorly worded, and maybe, designed to create doubt and confusion to keep us (forum helpers) busy when new users ask for clarification on that point. 

@dabr Other than the confusion of 2 versions, the one in my "Change Plans" section is pretty clear....

@kb_mv   I understand what you are saying, but I know PM has had all sorts of messy and wrong information in their plans details before too, especially for the Quebec plans page last Sept. when at first glance you could easily assume that customers were entitled to an additional 500mb data not only on the higher priced plans but also for the $15. 

Even after the errors were brought to PM's attention and supposedly rectified, the plans still appeared to give double bonus data for the $15.   There really should be no room for confusion if PM just kept the information simple and concise, however, that never seems to be their priority  and I guess everyone is left to muddle through the errors until they finally get corrected..   Oh well!!

BTW here's a link to that other thread I mentioned in my earlier post: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Catherine-Alan-There-are-mistakes-on-QC...

the new $15 plan is province wide and 250mb. it is not 500mb

@kb_mv 

That comparison certainly does make it look as though they have turned the $15 plan into a 250 mb plan plus the 250 Mb AutoPay bonus. This seems very unlikely to me and as I said the other day in a different topic, they are pretty good at inconsistent wording and screw ups here.

The only thing is that they might be trying to standardize all current plans to having data. Yes we know in reality the $15 plan NOT set up for Autopay still had unpublished data but this would make it official and able to be advertised. Could also explain the fact that there isn’t currently an “On Sale” version with Canada Wide Calling. You either stay put with Canada Wide Calling and 250 Mb data OR you upgrade to get 500 Mb data but lose Canada Wide Calling.

I am hoping this is the correct interpretation but.... I would bet I’m wrong.... just a wording glitch.

AE_Collector

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@dabr wrote:

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@kb_mv wrote

@Nezgar I find it bewildering that PM is incapable of putting out ONE correct version of something. There are also 2 versions of what data is included in the new $15 provincial plan. Add in the typos all over the place and it reminds me of the SPAM emails I get from a foreign

@kb_mv    There was similar wording/confusion about data on the Quebec plans' page couple of months or so ago.  It was never clarified (as far as I'm aware) despite repeated requests from @Jb456 to Catherine.  Maybe I missed the clarification, it looks like the plans has been updated now with current "so called sale price plans" offerings. 

@treefrog wrote:

I scheduled a plan change in December before I suspended while I was out of signal range. My scheduled change has disappeared?!! This is very inconvenient for me since I am rarely in my home province but I want to keep my number. I need to reactivate next week!

Did you schedule a plan change to the previous $15 plan with 100 canada-wide minutes? If so, that's unfortunate if that also blew up any pending scheduled plan changes to it... It appears that option has been completely removed, replaced only with a similar, but 100 province-wide only minutes plan.

The impact of the "new" province-wide $15 plan is softened slightly because T&C's says the plan still provides unlimited canada-wide INCOMING calls.

@hTideGnow wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

I have a couple of referrals who didnt have enough time to schedjle a plan change before the loss of the $15  canada wide plan even though its still advertised on the main plans page. Moderator time!

Interesting that they have no advance notice... 😞  

Now that the "new" plans have been announced, and the canada-wide plans are still available at the old price for a "limited time" take that as your advance notice, and now is the time to get those referrals signed up to lock in the current plan pricing before the increase.

(Well except for the old $15 plan with 100 canada-wide minutes, that one appears to have already gone *poof* for any new activations or plan changes.)

@kb_mv 

Yes i would love to test that theory with the data......before it gets fixed!

@Nezgar 

That makes a gigantic difference. Now its not that different from what we already have. That probably solves it for one of my referrals the other has a legit CCTS complaint unless we can settle out of court......since no one seems that bothered to complain.

@Nezgar wrote:

(2) Province-Wide option includes outgoing calls you make anywhere in Canada to a number with an area code in the same province, and incoming calls you receive while you are in your home province. A Long Distance Talk Add-On is required to receive incoming calls while you are outside your home province.

Looks like the wording from the T&C's section on the home page is a bit different. This version also re-iterates inability to call back to home province while physically in a different province. (Possibly affecting ability to call default voicemail access number). But does state incoming calls should work regardless.

2 - Province-wide calling means you can make outgoing calls to any number within your home province. Plus, you’ll receive all incoming calls across Canada regardless of the province they’re from. If you’re travelling to another province, you can make Province-wide calls while you’re there. You’ll still receive unlimited incoming calls. But you won’t be able to call your home province while travelling and will need a Long Distance add-on. 

@Nezgar I find it bewildering that PM is incapable of putting out ONE correct version of something. There are also 2 versions of what data is included in the new $15 provincial plan. Add in the typos all over the place and it reminds me of the SPAM emails I get from a foreign country. 

@darlicious wrote:

@Nezgar 

I suspected this would change at midnite eastern. Here's the kicker in the small print for all those wanting to keep their home province number while working elsewhere in Canada. You will need an add on to recieve phone calls while out of province. This switch happened so quickly I have a couple of referrals who didnt have enough time to schedjle a plan change before the loss of the $15  canada wide plan even though its still advertised on the main plans page. Moderator time!

(2) Province-Wide option includes outgoing calls you make anywhere in Canada to a number with an area code in the same province, and incoming calls you receive while you are in your home province. A Long Distance Talk Add-On is required to receive incoming calls while you are outside your home province.

Looks like the wording from the T&C's section on the home page is a bit different. This version also re-iterates inability to call back to home province while physically in a different province. (Possibly affecting ability to call default voicemail access number). But does state incoming calls should work regardless.

2 - Province-wide calling means you can make outgoing calls to any number within your home province. Plus, you’ll receive all incoming calls across Canada regardless of the province they’re from. If you’re travelling to another province, you can make Province-wide calls while you’re there. You’ll still receive unlimited incoming calls. But you won’t be able to call your home province while travelling and will need a Long Distance add-on. 

treefrog
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@darlicious 

I have a similar problem. I scheduled a plan change in December before I suspended while I was out of signal range. My scheduled change has disappeared?!! This is very inconvenient for me since I am rarely in my home province but I want to keep my number. I need to reactivate next week!

@darlicious wrote:

I have a couple of referrals who didnt have enough time to schedjle a plan change before the loss of the $15  canada wide plan even though its still advertised on the main plans page. Moderator time!

Interesting that they have no advance notice... 😞  

@Nezgar 

I suspected this would change at midnite eastern. Here's the kicker in the small print for all those wanting to keep their home province number while working elsewhere in Canada. You will need an add on to recieve phone calls while out of province. This switch happened so quickly I have a couple of referrals who didnt have enough time to schedjle a plan change before the loss of the $15  canada wide plan even though its still advertised on the main plans page. Moderator time!

Here it is folks, they're showing in self serve now!

EDIT going to move this to new topic. HERE:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/The-new-Feb-16-2021-Plans-including-Pro...

IF all existing plans become Provincial Calling Plans tomorrow (not likely to affect plans already in service, just the existing plan choices for new subscribers), I highly doubt there will be a $5/30 day more expensive version of each plan that includes Nationwide Calling. It will just be the 500 minutes for $5 add-on to make calls out of your home province as needed (or maybe to call out of the province you are in at the time you make the call?). Thus relatively few will be badly affected. Use 100 minutes of Canada Calling plan in a month and it cost you $1 extra that month. I don't see people “fleeing” over this but agree it is one more small downgrade overall. 

AE_Collector

@ShawnC13 

@gpixel 

Thanks.  Did you look at the cost of add ons?

ECB36B40-A671-4FCD-9371-5B65CC605AE4.jpeg1A3B2CBB-42CA-453E-AB68-957A58745FB8.jpeg8E2FCC39-BA31-4D2D-97E1-70B577C0F9B1.jpeg

Oops.jpeg

@LurganIeUk wrote:

@gpixel wrote:

I think there will be a price increase...

Screenshot_20210215-181102.png

Nice  find. Can you put up the URL for it?

@LurganIeUk, the link is to the Koodo page that isn't PM Prepaid Plans | Pay As You Go | Koodo Mobile

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@gpixel wrote:

I think there will be a price increase...

Screenshot_20210215-181102.png

Nice  find. Can you put up the URL for it?

@gpixel so.. basically $5 increase but with LTE data..?

Need Help? Let's chat.