cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4g lte data speeds?

samf207
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Is there any way I can use the data at lte speeds? Its my understanding only data add ons on a talk n text plan are allowed to. 

3 REPLIES 3

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@samf207 

if you would like faster download speeds, you can switch your preferred network type to 3g/wcdma. pm doesn't throttle the HSPA network

speedtest 3g.jpeg

speedtest lte.jpeg

the 3mb throttle is enough to handle 720p without buffering. when watching video content on a small screen, the difference between 480p and 720p is not much. 

Estimated data consumption per hour (YouTube):
360p 315MB
480p 562MB
720p(30fps) 1.27GB+
1080p(30fps) 2.03GB+
4k(30fps) 10.58GB+

Fletchjosh3
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey there !

For the moment Public Mobile offers you 3G speeds on the Telus towers. With these speeds you can easily scroll on Instagram, text friends and families via (Messenger, WhatsApp, telegram, etc) it also give you the possibility to stream content on a number of platforms although I do suggest you don’t as the quality can be DVD quality (480p). Only gaming apps could suffer a bit with like call of duty or Fortnite. 

For reference the speeds are capped at 3bm/s witch is pretty high for 3G. But who knows with, with the recent deployment of 5G across Canada we might be seeing 4G/LTE on PM 

hope this answers your questions .

Anonymous
Not applicable

@samf207 wrote:

Is there any way I can use the data at lte speeds? Its my understanding only data add ons on a talk n text plan are allowed to. 

Not currently. Your understanding is correct but all plans have data now.

Need Help? Let's chat.