cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G Plans

apiscitelli
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Is Public Mobile planning to offer more 4G plans? 

I am pretty disappointed by the loss of the 'build your own plan' option. I was planning to switch to the 90-day plan in the short term. This is a minor change that would've saved a few dollars a month so I am not that upset, but I am pretty annoyed that I am now locked into my current plan going forward as I have no other 4G options to examine. I hope this changes or I may be forced to look at other carriers. 

20 REPLIES 20

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I guess it would come down to if less latency or higher download with a bit more latency is ultimately faster for internet usage. I don't notice much difference there between the 2 except that in my case I have better wcdma reception overall. But I also haven't tested streaming a movie or anything, don't have that much data! (Or need that much data lol)

Interesting to learn regarding the texting though. I did notice that with data completely off, the wcdma seems to take literally about 4 or 5 seconds to send per text. But lte there was no noticeable difference either way. Not sure why but allowing data to my texting app does make wcdma texts faster, maybe 1 second vs near instant on lte. Since my new device now has data saver, I don't mind leaving it on

mm80
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

Depending on your device, you can switch to non lte data (example wcdma network only, which is already what you use for calls it gets auto switched) and get faster speeds. I've done a bunch of tests when I first moved running actual speed tests. Wcdma gets higher download speeds. 

Only downside is that texts send a bit slower, no idea why, as my old device wasn't capable of lte at all and texts sent faster on it then my new one... 🤷 or possible that I only notice it since having tried lte and just didn't realize before

Just heads up of you go this way, you could burn thru your plan data a bit faster. But on the plus side depending on your situation anyway, no emergency alerts 🤷 they're only capable on lte. My case I'm disabled and largely housebound so as much as I'd love to help reunite the family, they're not practical for me so I'm not "missing out" so to speak. I know they also alert weather and such but I have my weather app for that

........aaaand that's enough nerding for one reply lol

The latency is usually better on LTE. The lower latency means less delay in texting too.

Pawprints1986

Depending on your device, you can switch to non lte data (example wcdma network only, which is already what you use for calls it gets auto switched) and get faster speeds. I've done a bunch of tests when I first moved running actual speed tests. Wcdma gets higher download speeds. 

Only downside is that texts send a bit slower, no idea why, as my old device wasn't capable of lte at all and texts sent faster on it then my new one... 🤷 or possible that I only notice it since having tried lte and just didn't realize before

Just heads up of you go this way, you could burn thru your plan data a bit faster. But on the plus side depending on your situation anyway, no emergency alerts 🤷 they're only capable on lte. My case I'm disabled and largely housebound so as much as I'd love to help reunite the family, they're not practical for me so I'm not "missing out" so to speak. I know they also alert weather and such but I have my weather app for that

........aaaand that's enough nerding for one reply lol

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@brittneysarah wrote:

I wish they would come back too, Iv'e been trying to figure out how to change my data plan to it!

@brittneysarah unfortunately the only way to do this at present is to port your number to another provider.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

brittneysarah

I wish they would come back too, Iv'e been trying to figure out how to change my data plan to it!

@tyedye00 wrote:

Some background + a car example. haha.

• 3G is 3rd generation of wireless technology
  • 4G is 4th generation of wireless technology
  • LTE is long term evolution
  • Lot of people use 4G and LTE interchangably so for this message I'll consider them the same.

With the move to 4G tech it is obviously better, but im simple terms imagine an engine of a car.

1. 3G car = slow and it putters along.
  2. LTE(4G) car = replace the engine of the 3G car with a brand new turbo charged engine. (More efficient and faster)

THEN there is Public Mobile and other 3rd tier teleco brands

3. Public Mobile "3G" Plans = Takes the LTE(4G) car, but add a speed limiter on the turbo charged engine. (Still more efficient and faster than the 3G car, but has speed limiter)

That how I pretty much explain it to people. Chime in if I am correct/incorrect.Smiley Happy

The only addition I would suggest, paying for 3G Speed plan, you *can force* connection to the 3G network, and possibly get increased speeds, as the 3G network is not limited to the speed limiter.  However, latency (speeding off the line) is slower than on LTE network.

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Pretty good analogy. Smiley Very Happy

tyedye00
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Some background + a car example. haha.

• 3G is 3rd generation of wireless technology
  • 4G is 4th generation of wireless technology
  • LTE is long term evolution
  • Lot of people use 4G and LTE interchangably so for this message I'll consider them the same.

With the move to 4G tech it is obviously better, but im simple terms imagine an engine of a car.

1. 3G car = slow and it putters along.
  2. LTE(4G) car = replace the engine of the 3G car with a brand new turbo charged engine. (More efficient and faster)

THEN there is Public Mobile and other 3rd tier teleco brands

3. Public Mobile "3G" Plans = Takes the LTE(4G) car, but add a speed limiter on the turbo charged engine. (Still more efficient and faster than the 3G car, but has speed limiter)

That how I pretty much explain it to people. Chime in if I am correct/incorrect.Smiley Happy

GibsonSGJ

I'm pretty sure I didn't say that my 4G plan wouldn't continue and I am aware of the terms of service, however, thank you for pointing that out for anyone who is not aware. Regardless, it doesn't mean I have to be happy about PM's decision to no longer offer 4G plans and it doesn't mean I cannot voice my opinion.

@GibsonSGJ wrote:

I'm pretty sure the point of only offering 3G is so that you have to leave Public Mobile if you want LTE. Telus is hoping you move up their carefully manufactured pricing ladder to Koodo or Telus. I've talked to some of my US friends and it's quite honestly the state of the Canadian telecommunications industry is embarrassing. "3G" is not a phrase that should even be uttered anymore, like VHS or CD's even at this point. Unfortunately, we have the big three here in Canada who won't out-compete each other, buy up all of the low-cost competition and fold them into their market approach with the allusion of competition, all while they lobby the government and throw a fit at the CRTC every time there's talk of allowing more competition into the market. Remember a few years back when Verizon was going to move into the Canadian market? Telus and Bell pitched a fit and ran adverts to scare everyone into thinking it would result in Canadian job loss. The best part is that most of the people making the regulator decisions for this industry are former CEOs and upper management from the big three. They have no interest in making it so that these companies actually have to compete for market share.

You've already been told in this thread, your 4G service will continue.  You will not (yet) be forced to a 3G speed plan.  Note, the 3G Speed plans are throttled to 3Mbps via the 4G LTE network.  Actual 3G network speeds can reach higher, and if someone chooses, the can force the 3G network to connect whether on the 4G or 3G Speed plans.

Public Mobile can change the terms of service at any time, providing notice to take effect no sooner than 30-days in the future.  Until that time, your 4G service will continue as you've agreed to.

GibsonSGJ

I'm pretty sure the point of only offering 3G is so that you have to leave Public Mobile if you want LTE. Telus is hoping you move up their carefully manufactured pricing ladder to Koodo or Telus. I've talked to some of my US friends and it's quite honestly the state of the Canadian telecommunications industry is embarrassing. "3G" is not a phrase that should even be uttered anymore, like VHS or CD's even at this point. Unfortunately, we have the big three here in Canada who won't out-compete each other, buy up all of the low-cost competition and fold them into their market approach with the allusion of competition, all while they lobby the government and throw a fit at the CRTC every time there's talk of allowing more competition into the market. Remember a few years back when Verizon was going to move into the Canadian market? Telus and Bell pitched a fit and ran adverts to scare everyone into thinking it would result in Canadian job loss. The best part is that most of the people making the regulator decisions for this industry are former CEOs and upper management from the big three. They have no interest in making it so that these companies actually have to compete for market share.

@GibsonSGJ As long as you don't change your plan, you will have 4G as your plan will be grandfathered.

GibsonSGJ

This is arbitrary market tier engineering on behalf of Telus and nothing more. By removing the 4G option they are making it so that they are no longer competing with themselves, forcing users to Koodo if they require a 4G connection. I don't like it but I guess I understand why they do it this way, from a partial monopoly holding business perspective. Competition is stagnant in Canada for Mobile service providers. You have a couple of big companies that know not to compete too hard with each other and they buy up all of the affordable 3rd parties and roll them into their market approach. The CRTC really needs to allow non-Canadian companies to compete here to stir up the market. We have some of the highest prices for mobile service in the Western world.

So will my existing 6GB per 90 days plan continue at 4G?

@apiscitelliIf you are going to @chukdefatey 's route.. remember to use yourself as a reference.

chukdefatey

@apiscitelli wrote:

I was thinking of test driving the 3G plan for that reason, I am afraid to now though. If I don't like the 3G my 4G plan is lost. 

You could still do that. Sign up a on new sim card and a new number, if you think it's manageable then switch your current plan to a 3G plan and simply stop paying for the new plan that you activated to test drive.

apiscitelli

I don't really understand what you mean?

@stonechucker wrote:

Remember, the 3G speed plans are throttled LTE.  Not running on the actual 3G network.  You will get quick response as the latency is lower on LTE, but you may get quicker overall speeds on the actual 3G network if you choose to force the 3G connection on your device.

Remember, the 3G speed plans are throttled LTE.  Not running on the actual 3G network.  You will get quick response as the latency is lower on LTE, but you may get quicker overall speeds on the actual 3G network if you choose to force the 3G connection on your device.

apiscitelli

I was thinking of test driving the 3G plan for that reason, I am afraid to now though. If I don't like the 3G my 4G plan is lost. 

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@apiscitelli wrote:

I am pretty disappointed by the loss of the 'build your own plan' option. I was planning to switch to the 90-day plan in the short term. This is a minor change that would've saved a few dollars a month so I am not that upset, but I am pretty annoyed that I am now locked into my current plan going forward as I have no other 4G options to examine. I hope this changes or I may be forced to look at other carriers. 

I used to pay a little more to have the 4G plan...then I test drove a 3G plan. I didn't notice any difference although I'm not streaming movies so that would probably be affected...but otherwise 3G is still a tres serviceable option for the average user. Only you can determine what's best for your lifestyle. Good luck wherever you go, eh !

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@apiscitelli wrote:

I don't see 4G plans being offered in the near future.  They have spent the last 2 years getting away from them and aligning themselves with the other 3rd Tier providers.  I guess 4G will come back once all the other tiers are on 5G.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.