cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G/LTE Data

Obice
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi,

Is there any chance that Public Mobile will bring back 4G/LTE data for actual voice plans and not just a single data-only plan? It would be nice to have that extra speed and I'm sure the majority of us would not only be willing to pay a little extra for it but also very much appreciate having it.

I can certainly live without while on the other hand... Why live without if you can have it?

36 REPLIES 36

@Obice wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@Obice wrote:

I seem to have quite a few posts that were rejected. Smiley Sad

@Obice  Haha....me too. Do you tend to write long well thought out ones....that seems to be the case with @88cranston  and I.  At least you can access them now and I don't think the bug "reads" a picture so a screenshot before posting long ones might be a good backup plan or a way to post.

You could say I write essays. Short answers are a lot like sound bites.

Yes this bug likes the long winded types...posting screenshots might solve the issue and cure your bug.

Obice

@darlicious wrote:

@Obice wrote:

@Obice  Haha....me too. Do you tend to write long well thought out ones....that seems to be the case with @88cranston  and I.  At least you can access them now and I don't think the bug "reads" a picture so a screenshot before posting long ones might be a good backup plan or a way to post.

You could say I write essays. Short answers are a lot like sound bites.

@Obice wrote:

Obice

@Obice  Aha success...and thanks for your perspective. Yesterday I posted on this unmoderated items tab that used to be accessible in your profile and is still there in the background somewhere. Anyhow it's in the discussions section and the response was that they are not monitored but something in the programming flags them and puts them there. And yes I couldn't repost them but a screenshot will suffice...thx I have a couple posts to make. For longevity I will quote you...

@Obice wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@Obice  Did you not want to find your posts that disappeared? Simply go to edit and post.

Ah, I pressed post but I don't see anything, lets see how fast this picture gets flagged. Smiley LOL

Capture5.PNG

Obice

@darlicious wrote:

@Obice  Did you not want to find your posts that disappeared? Simply go to edit and post.

Ah, I pressed post but I don't see anything, lets see how fast this picture gets flagged. Smiley LOL

Capture5.PNG

Obice

I see my unmonitored messages or whatever, I just don't understand the point of this exercise. Smiley LOL

@Obice  OMG!!! It worked...open in new tab...

@Obice  In case this doesn't work yet again it is the 2nd post on the 6th page of that thread posted by @oglat  with this messageGuys can you see any of your messages here

Obice

@darlicious wrote:

@Obice  That's what that thread turned into a discussion on @88cranston missing posts and how I got the link. I will try one more time as both @88cranston  and I find it invaluable to have especially since it sounds like you have caught the same bug as us!

To clarify, this is not the first time one of my posts has been deleted, this is just the first time I'm making a note of it and I guess complaining that it shouldn't be happening.

@Obice  That's what that thread turned into a discussion on @88cranston missing posts and how I got the link. I will try one more time as both @88cranston  and I find it invaluable to have especially since it sounds like you have caught the same bug as us!

Obice

I went to it, not sure what I was looking for other than maybe your post(s) being removed and you saying something about it? Either way, I had written like 5-6 paragraphs (there are no short answers that are exacting) and no way am I about to rewrite it all. I'll be sure to screenshot them or copy them into a notepad if I answer things.

When we post, it is likely that someone reads the posts and doesn't like what they are reading so the mod(s) removes the post or there is a scam system that scans keywords and essentially does the same. My point is that we should be allowed to express ourselves and not have it be removed.

@Obice  Ok as suspected so go to the search bar type in PLAN EXPIRED!!!! 6th page...maybe 5th @oglat .....

Obice

Capture.PNG

No go, chief.

@darlicious wrote:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/premod/moderationitemspage/tab/rejected     @Obice   Ok as I struggle thru this copy and paste fiasco of mine...here did not work as a link. The https address did but brought up no posts...not sure if it will do the same for you. I did copy it successfully to my drafts so I'm going to go to the original post and try copying it from there for you.... Geez I have a lot of posts in "My unmoderated posts" section and a couple I thought were posted but may have disappeared  a couple of hours later...which is why when I went looking for them I couldn't find them in my profile. Ok here goes...here? Or up there? I'm not so sure I will post this and find out....yet again. And you can stop laughing at my ineptness.....lol!

@Obice  Ok try up there if it doesn't work you can find it by going to the 6th page of the posted thread PLAN EXPIRED!!!!! and find the post by @oglat and use the link supplied there. That one will definetly work. And I'll work on my copy and paste skills.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/premod/moderationitemspage/tab/rejected     @Obice   Ok as I struggle thru this copy and paste fiasco of mine...here did not work as a link. The https address did but brought up no posts...not sure if it will do the same for you. I did copy it successfully to my drafts so I'm going to go to the original post and try copying it from there for you.... Geez I have a lot of posts in "My unmoderated posts" section and a couple I thought were posted but may have disappeared  a couple of hours later...which is why when I went looking for them I couldn't find them in my profile. Ok here goes...here? Or up there? I'm not so sure I will post this and find out....yet again. And you can stop laughing at my ineptness.....lol!

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/premod/moderationitemspage/tab/rejected 

@Obice wrote:

I guess every time I post a response I ought to screenshot it as evidence. (eye roll)

@Obice  I am a frequent victim of the relatively rare *poof* the magic dragon disappearing posts bug. I was very lucky to be supplied this link here ....ok as you can see my copy and paste skills still suck. So either try "here" as the link or the https address above and tell me if it worked to find your missing post. Coincidently I lost a post the night before so I looked it up this morning and put it in my drafts for easier access. Fingers crossed!

@Obice  I can help with that....but my copy and paste skills have been failing me lately so give me a couple....

Obice

I guess every time I post a response I ought to screenshot it as evidence. (eye roll)

Obice

@darlicious wrote:

@Obice  I'm curious about your comment on the reliability of a landline when the power goes out and the battery runs out after x amount a time? This assuming you are using a portable handset that requires recharging a battery/base via an outlet. A traditional hard wired phone is on its own separate electrial/telephone line that rarely goes out during a power outage unless the telephone lines (non-underground) are taken out as well during for example a powerful windstorm. More secure? In that a landline is not easily tapped without a warrant...but a cellphone can easily be tapped by apps designed to use the ss7 to eavesdrop, record or even intercept your phone calls. There are still advantages to having a landline even if it's just 911 being able to locate you in an emergency.

...I posted a response, refreshed the page and it's gone... Hmmm...Smiley LOL

@Obice  I'm curious about your comment on the reliability of a landline when the power goes out and the battery runs out after x amount a time? This assuming you are using a portable handset that requires recharging a battery/base via an outlet. A traditional hard wired phone is on its own separate electrial/telephone line that rarely goes out during a power outage unless the telephone lines (non-underground) are taken out as well during for example a powerful windstorm. More secure? In that a landline is not easily tapped without a warrant...but a cellphone can easily be tapped by apps designed to use the ss7 to eavesdrop, record or even intercept your phone calls. There are still advantages to having a landline even if it's just 911 being able to locate you in an emergency.

Obice

I could add a line to another service I have if I really wanted to. I'd rather gimp out though to what I barely use.

I might end up using Fongo Mobile or Fongo Home phone for outgoing calls though since the connection would be much closer than any radio tower.

Obice

@cellphoneuser1 wrote:

@Obice wrote:

@cellphoneuser1 wrote:

@Obice wrote:

Hi,

Is there any chance that Public Mobile will bring back 4G/LTE data for actual voice plans and not just a single data-only plan? It would be nice to have that extra speed and I'm sure the majority of us would not only be willing to pay a little extra for it but also very much appreciate having it.

I can certainly live without while on the other hand... Why live without if you can have it?

They don't seem to care about LTE and Public would rather have you go to Koodo.

We're apparently on the LTE network just very throttled.

Yes, but Telus would rather have everyone on postpaid at Koodo or Telus. The faster speeds there are a way for them to get you there.

How right you are... for most people. I won't pay the admission.

@Obice wrote:

@cellphoneuser1 wrote:

@Obice wrote:

Hi,

Yes, but Telus would rather have everyone on postpaid at Koodo or Telus. The faster speeds there are a way for them to get you there.

Obice

@cellphoneuser1 wrote:

@Obice wrote:

Hi,

Obice

@AE_Collector wrote:

I think the PM $15 plan is an amazing deal when coupled with Autopay giving you 1/4 Gb of data for some limited surfing if needed and the lower $13/30 days plan price. If 100 outgoing minutes may not do it you can add on outgoing minutes for only 1c a minute to cover that. 

AE_Collector

I'm on the 25 dollar plan. I can't justify going down to the 15 dollar plan... It seems too penny pinchy to me. Till Public Mobile or another provider comes out with a better option I'm stuck with the 25 dollar plan. It works for me although I am disgruntled by the dropped phone calls.

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@Obice wrote:

Hi,

I think the PM $15 plan is an amazing deal when coupled with Autopay giving you 1/4 Gb of data for some limited surfing if needed and the lower $13/30 days plan price. If 100 outgoing minutes may not do it you can add on outgoing minutes for only 1c a minute to cover that. 

AE_Collector

Obice

@jor123 wrote:

@Obice wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@Obice  Public competes with Lucky and Chatr. If you want true LTE speeds you will need to move to Koodo, Virgin or Fido. Maybe when 5G becomes the norm tier3 providers will offer LTE but I wouldn't bet on it.

I'm here because I won't pay for second or first tier carriers. Although given how all 3 tiers seem finicky I've actually been considering an archaic landline. Say what you will but wired is always better no matter what. You might suggest I go with an internet phone ("VoIP") but lets face it, if the internet goes down then no more phone and it's back to a cell phone or a landline that has battery back up and in theory a very reliable hardwired connection. As with second and third tier cellular carriers I dread even looking at the cost of them so it's more of a "I'll probably do without at this point" scenario.

They've got us in a vice, that's for sure.

It's harder and harder to find a traditional landline now anyway - cable companies have their own sort of private VoIP cable phone service and as areas with copper phone lines/DSL get moved over to fibre to the home Bell is routing their home phone through their modems as well. Sure you get the "up to" 4-6 hours battery backup but beyond that not much. At the same time the central office needs power itself regardless & making a call outside your local exchange or to any other carrier introduces a bunch of other points of failure as well. The days of a town having a CO serving everyone in it and maintaining local calling when wider service goes out for whatever reason is pretty much over. 

Fair enough. I'm not sure about getting a landline it is just a consideration. There are those who tell me how great it is, how reliable and how backed up it is and there are those who tell me how VoIP is just as good or better. I'm on the fence with the entire thing. Perhaps the best advice or knowledge that has been given to me is by a family member who works for Bell and explained to me the differences between a landline and a VoIP line and how VoIP is more secure (with a VPN)*. And this is just my thoughts, suppose the power goes out and I got a landline, well the battery will last X amount of time before it goes out. As it is I have my own UPS that could keep my internet and everything else I got hooked up to it on during an outage. So by turning off what I don't need and having a VoIP line... Perhaps I would have about the same reliability. (shrugs)

*He explained that a landline is really nothing more than a really, really fancy version of 2 cans and a string. On the other hand, VoIP is internet-based and can be used with a VPN ensuring much more security. It is still kinda funny or interesting to me how you hear in movies "get me a landline" implying that's it's more secure or / and reliable.

As far as LTE goes, I did not know Telus got rid of 3G or is going to be although it makes sense. Move on to 'greater' things. (greater is in quotes because I think this is purely subjective and even capitalistic).

Need Help? Let's chat.