cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3rd time in 3 weeks now......... this is enough

Asian_sensation
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

So this is the 3rd time in 3 weeks that my sim card needs to be reset from PMs end because I cant send texts.

Now I get to do the same song and dance threw messages with a mod to get them to fix my sim. 

I wouldnt mind so much if I could just bypass the mods and tlalk directlhy with someone on the other end that actaully knows what they are doing and can reset (activate and then deactivate my sim) 

3rd time in 3 months though, never had this problem with Wind or any other provider.

Ugh 1 more month left of my 90 days.........

23 REPLIES 23

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Asian_sensationThe problem with Wind/FM's unlimited everything is that is also includes unlimited dead spots and unlimited frustration. This phenomena was happening to me at a frequency greater than 3 times in 3 weeks.

But if it works for you, then go for it.

And seriously, you are still using SMS when the rest of the world has moved on to whatsapp, wechat, etc?

@kav2001c wrote:

It is physically possible to re-activate a SIM card (happens in many foreign countries) but no Canadian carrier has ever allowed this to happen. They always say buy a new SIM.

Public Mobile once (about a year ago) cancelled my service and gave my phone number to another client.

They were able to re-activate the SIM (provisioning it) after the fact so not sure what to make of the mods comments or my own knowledge of industry. 

Is it possible? Technically yes, but from my experiance Canadian carriers seem to block it. Did it appear to happen with me? Yes, but that was a very odd situation that got everyone from Koodo executive office to CCTS involved in my case. Certainly not just the normal offline support team.

So the answer is it's possible with big asterisk.  The provisioning is done by computers.  So when we say it's possible or not, the obvious reference is to how the system is programmed.  The programming is designed to not have the feature and thus it's "not allowed".  In your case, somebody probably manually bypassed the programming and restored the SIM.  

Asian_sensation

It happens a lot more than you will know. 

Ive been working in mobile for over a decade and have done everything from sales, to hardware training to OS tranning and tech support. So when someone like this "mod' pops up here claming this and that, well people are open to belive what they want. 

The good part about all of this, I at least know I can use Telus as a gate way to having someone *coughnotamodwhodoesntknowtheirassfromtheirelbowcough* proper to deal with.

Side note, if you have alocked Telus phone, they are doing unlocked for free now too.

While I was in-chat, I got them to unlock my iphone 6 🙂 

So today wasnt a total loss 

It is physically possible to re-activate a SIM card (happens in many foreign countries) but no Canadian carrier has ever allowed this to happen. They always say buy a new SIM.

Public Mobile once (about a year ago) cancelled my service and gave my phone number to another client.

They were able to re-activate the SIM (provisioning it) after the fact so not sure what to make of the mods comments or my own knowledge of industry. 

Is it possible? Technically yes, but from my experiance Canadian carriers seem to block it. Did it appear to happen with me? Yes, but that was a very odd situation that got everyone from Koodo executive office to CCTS involved in my case. Certainly not just the normal offline support team.

@MarieHelene_L wrote:

@will13am

Not really! SIM-related issues can't really affect the account itself. It can for sure affect your services, since it's what's allowing you to connect to the network, but not the account. We might need to re-synchronize and refresh the connection between your SIM card and our network (which is what was done here), but that's pretty much it 🙂 

We do not 'suspend' SIM cards either. 

So this is a faulty SIM card case here?  I read so much talk about faulty SIM cards in this forum.  Personally, I have never experienced it.  I have had SIM cards that have been well worn from switching phones.  Some card slots are really hard on the SIM card.  Despite the wear and tear, they continue to work.

Asian_sensation

Funny how you, who didnt have anything to do with this, shows in in this thread to save face lol. 

Welcome to Public Mobile 🙂

I guess you must have worked for Samsungs mobile department too?? oh right, that was me. 

Anyways have a good night all and enjoy PM 

MarieHelene_L

@will13am

Not really! SIM-related issues can't really affect the account itself. It can for sure affect your services, since it's what's allowing you to connect to the network, but not the account. We might need to re-synchronize and refresh the connection between your SIM card and our network (which is what was done here), but that's pretty much it 🙂 

We do not 'suspend' SIM cards either. 

*Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, PIN etc... This is a public forum!*

Asian_sensation

Sorry I should be more clear, its not like a full deactivation, more like suspend it/ reset it type deal. 

You can have it suspended (non active) while being able to reactivate it. 

Asian_sensation

A sim can be reactivated when needed, also this issue had nothing to do with my account as it was strictly related to the sim. If sms wasnt at all working (and not jus me not beinag able to send an sms, then it would point to a service issue related to the account and services) 

@MarieHelene_L wrote:

Hi @Asian_sensation!

Just wanted to clear a few things up! First of all, 'deactivating and reactivating' a SIM card is not something that can be done! What we do when you reach out to us for this matter is simply re-synchronize a few things in our back end system. 

According to the conversation I have access to, the moderator you spoke with knew exactly what do to and did not require any of your instructions 🙂 Even though you ask us to 'reset' your SIM card, as I said, that's not something that's even possible for us to do. We know our tools and know how to use them to fix pretty much any issue that might come up, and that's what my colleague did 🙂 

With that being said, I understand this situation can indeed be frustrating. Since your SIM card does seem to be faulty, we would be more than happy to mail you a new one for free of charge. If you'd still rather leave PM, I can understand this as well. It's absolutely up to you. 

Cheers guys!

Marie

Reading through this long thread, I was going to ask how can a SIM card be reactivated.  It was always my understanding that it can be activated once and that's it.  Can a faulty SIM card lead to account issues that need to be reset?  

Asian_sensation

Considering I bypassed the BS here and went to Telus and did a live chat and talked to someone from tech, had them comfim what was needed to be done and it was done asap rather than the 24 plus hours it took for the last 2 times..... yeah, no. 

If you wanna save face on your own forum, at least play ith someone who doesnt know what they are talking about 🙂

MarieHelene_L

Hi @Asian_sensation!

Just wanted to clear a few things up! First of all, 'deactivating and reactivating' a SIM card is not something that can be done! What we do when you reach out to us for this matter is simply re-synchronize a few things in our back end system. 

According to the conversation I have access to, the moderator you spoke with knew exactly what do to and did not require any of your instructions 🙂 Even though you ask us to 'reset' your SIM card, as I said, that's not something that's even possible for us to do. We know our tools and know how to use them to fix pretty much any issue that might come up, and that's what my colleague did 🙂 

With that being said, I understand this situation can indeed be frustrating. Since your SIM card does seem to be faulty, we would be more than happy to mail you a new one for free of charge. If you'd still rather leave PM, I can understand this as well. It's absolutely up to you. 

Cheers guys!

Marie

*Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, PIN etc... This is a public forum!*

Asian_sensation

But they are NOT the cheapiest though. I paid $35/month wirh Wind and had unlimited EVERYTHING. And they have a call center with live tech support and what not. 

Honestly I feel like I really made a **bleep**ty decision when I left Wind, especially now that they are offering LTE for older plans..... FOR FREE!! lol

CalvinW
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Asian_sensation I totally understand your frustration. Part of the appeal of PM was the lower cost and the tradeoff is essentially troubleshooting your own problems. But now, with the increasing costs of PM, they are definitely losing their appeal 

Asian_sensation

Yeah, Im a mobile tech junkie, hahaha. I switch my sim card between the 3 (or whatever Im using) 

Im fully aware of wear on a sim card (as I went threw 24 different models last year, not including duplacates) and my 5 yo Wind sim was just fine. 

I dunno what the cause of the problem is, but its really quite the piss off 🙂

koimr1

That is crazy and I feel sorry for your aggravation and hope you do find a more suitable provider.

Question though - you mention that you have three phones and from what I'm reading there's just one SIM card. Are you constantly swapping this SIM between the three phones? Just curious. 🙂

Asian_sensation

Yeah with Black Friday around and Freedom offering unadvertised discounts for BYOD, I might just go back with them.

On a side note, they fixed the issue in record time lol. Mind you I had to explain to the mod what needed to be done, lol. Does anyone else not see the problem with this??

Now granted, I am a mobile tech junkie and used to work in the mobile industry, but PM doesnt pay me, I pay them, so why am I having to troubleshoot and fix my own problems and giving the mod directions to fix said problem ?? 

Sorry people, i feel like venting a bit lol  

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Thats understandable given the aggravation caused.  Although I haven't had any disruptions with my service, I have observed that after the initial hiccup, the service tends to stay good for big majority of people.  Anyways, Black Friday is a pretty good time to be looking for a good deal in the market.  Good luck!  

@Asian_sensation wrote:

Honestly at this point, I have a month and a bit left on my 90 days, I think I'll be going elsewhere as this is just not been a good fit for me. 

Asian_sensation

Honestly at this point, I have a month and a bit left on my 90 days, I think I'll be going elsewhere as this is just not been a good fit for me. 

Asian_sensation

Appreciate the offer, but Im in Calgary 

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hey @Asian_sensation,

If you are in the GTA, you can pick one up from me for free.  I have a couple of spare sim cards. 

EDIT:  Or have one of the mods mail one to you for free.  Given the circumstances, I think they will be happy to mail one to you.  

Asian_sensation

Its not the phone as I use 3 different ones.

Im 100% sure its a faulty sim since it needs to be deactivated and reactivated

But if Im told I have to go buy another sim, is that really fair to me to go out of my way, spend another $10 (money is moeny) . 

3 times in 3 weeks though, this has just been one miserable experience with PM so far...

CalvinW

It’s either a faulty phone or faulty SIM. I don’t see another reason for the issue to be so persistent. Maybe message @CS_Agent to get your SIM card switched out 

Need Help? Let's chat.