cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3g plan vs my LTE plan, and overall 3G future?

adamlaj77
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

hi, i currently am on a 90 day 6GB LTE plan for $120. It's just barely enough but i'd rather have data and not worry about going over, with the 4.5GB of 3G for $40, monthly plan.

My questions are:

why is public mobile pushing 3G so hard? Do they save more money?

Can't they offer better LTE plans? 

I hear the 3G speed isn't too noticeably slower than LTE, or is it?

And in the future, are they going to cap 3G speed even more? 

ALSO, do all my rewards work for the monthly $40 4.5GB deal? 

I'm afraid they're trying to get all the LTE plans to 3G, then cap 3G speed even more. I'd like to get some knowledge on this subject. thanks.

14 REPLIES 14

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@adamlaj77 very good questions, I find it odd as well in a world that highly advertises speed and ability to stream in seconds, I thought it was weird that PM was pushing 3G speeds so hard.  But then I remembered that PM is owned by Telus and is pretty much the 3rd string company down the line.  With that said you can kind of see PM as a sub tier provider, and Telus wants to position each tier differently.  Why would they want to compete with their big brand name, and then create confusion for clients.  I know PM's business style is much different than the others (i.e. all self-serve, no retail, no customer service call centre), but from a plan perspective they do need to show some difference between all the Telus tiers.  

After reading all the threads about 3G vs. LTE regarding speeds, as much as I'd want more data, I don't think I'll have the patience for 3G speeds, even more so when I'm in a rush.  Sometimes the LTE doesn't move fast enough, so going to 3G would probably make me go crazy.  And once you go you can't reverse, I have a plan from last year that they no longer offer, so if I had to go back to LTE then I would have to pay more for a similar plan. 

All rewards work for all plans except their $10 "seniors" / "child" plan, so if you do switch to this plan don't worry about that.  I'd say just think about whether you want to wait a few seconds longer (1..2..3..4..5..6....), if you have a little bit of patience then I'd say go right ahead and take advantage of this offer, but if you're like me and can't wait after about 3 seconds, then wait for new promos that I'm sure will come out during the back to school time period, or during the holidays (there's always promo offers during these times).

@adamlaj77 wrote:

are you not afraid they will stop lte throttled 3g and perhaps use just 3g in the future? 

Why would they do that?  If anything, you're more likely to see the elimination of 3g-type networks (although not for years from now). 

@torontokris wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

The funny thing is that I believe that Public Mobile would actually make more money of many customers by giving everyone full LTE speeds.  it is just that much eaiser to use yoru data allocation faster when you have faster data speeds.   Not only do things such as speedtest.net use much more data for a single test at higher speeds, video streaming apps tends to default to a higher resolution, and therefore using much more data when there is higher speed available. 

How would that make pm more money? It’s a prepaid service so not like pm can get more for overages. Yes people can buy additional data however if users. Kept running out of data and having to buy more they’d probably go elsewhere to higher data plans

People don't want to go without data.  Those who use up all of the data, which faster speeds make it easier to use up faster, will be more likely to purchase a data add-on or renew early meaning that Public Mobile makes more than they otherwise would have.  Unless a plan is completely unlmited with no throttling after a certain threshhold, I beleive it's in the carrier's best interest to make the speeds as fast as possible. Yes, someone can switch to a plan with more data, but at any carrier, faster speed allow users to use up more data faster (sometimes even by misatke).

@adamlaj77 wrote:

so, i was told by a MOD a few months ago that i have 4G LTE data. Yet, when I do a speed test, with LTE on, i have lower speeds than when i do a test with using the 3G setting. Im pretty sure i have 3G.. wtf? was told this whole time i have 4G. also my speeds max out at like 7-8mbps. but yeah, im switching to the 4.5gb deal for $40. i was paying $40 for 2gb, of i thought 4g, but it seems like it's 3g. 

If you really were on the 3G or LTE lite plan, your speeds would never go past about 3-4 mbits/s.  The reason your speed tests are on the slower side may be due to network congestion locally.  I have this problem at work.  I  have an LTE+ connection and get single digit speeds. 

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@adamlaj77 wrote:

are you not afraid they will stop lte throttled 3g and perhaps use just 3g in the future? 

It’s possible. It’s also possible they raise prices. But the only thing we know right now is they started 3G speeds at around 2mbps and its raised to 3 and some report 3.5mbps. So far the trend has been to raise the speed.

FYI pm’s actual 3G network (Bell Telus) speeds are 3-30mbps on my experience. So if that is your biggest worry about being moved to 3G network I wouldn’t worry.

adamlaj77

torontokris

@adamlaj77 wrote:

hi, i currently am on a 90 day 6GB LTE plan for $120. It's just barely enough but i'd rather have data and not worry about going over, with the 4.5GB of 3G for $40, monthly plan.

My questions are:

I'm afraid they're trying to get all the LTE plans to 3G, then cap 3G speed even more. I'd like to get some knowledge on this subject. thanks.

Pm does offer LTE plans however I believe they are trying to be the third tier and comparable to other 3rd tier companies like chatr etc. pm is better as the 3G is actually LTE just throttled not 3G like the others. 

torontokris

@adamlaj77 wrote:

so, i was told by a MOD a few months ago that i have 4G LTE data. Yet, when I do a speed test, with LTE on, i have lower speeds than when i do a test with using the 3G setting. Im pretty sure i have 3G.. wtf? was told this whole time i have 4G. also my speeds max out at like 7-8mbps. but yeah, im switching to the 4.5gb deal for $40. i was paying $40 for 2gb, of i thought 4g, but it seems like it's 3g. 

The throttled 3G speed plans are roughly 3mbps. If your getting 7-8 your probably on LTE plan although it could be faster I can’t speak for your phone / area at the time you ran the test

torontokris

@computergeek541 wrote:

The funny thing is that I believe that Public Mobile would actually make more money of many customers by giving everyone full LTE speeds.  it is just that much eaiser to use yoru data allocation faster when you have faster data speeds.   Not only do things such as speedtest.net use much more data for a single test at higher speeds, video streaming apps tends to default to a higher resolution, and therefore using much more data when there is higher speed available. 

How would that make pm more money? It’s a prepaid service so not like pm can get more for overages. Yes people can buy additional data however if users. Kept running out of data and having to buy more they’d probably go elsewhere to higher data plans

adamlaj77

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@adamlaj77, I doubt that they could cripple the LTE lite plans further.  If anything, they will likely increase the speeds with time.  As time marches on, our data usage creeps up, not down.  The content we consume on wireless is a lot more images and video rather words.  If you are concerned, watch what the competing third tier brands are doing.  Each brand matches each other step by step.  Long story short, if I were in your position, I would give up your current plan for more data at slower speed.  Worse case if LTE lite doesn't cut it for you, there is always the option of a migration plan to Koodo which I am sure will come your way in the future. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@adamlaj77, one thing to add is that Public Mobile is Telus' 3rd tier product.  It looks like they are trying to use the low priced 3G to bring in customers, and then offer them incentives to switch to the more profitable Koodo/Telus brands.  As already mentioned, 3G vs LTE is irrelevant for most people.

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@adamlaj77 wrote:

My questions are:

You keep all your rewards as long as your account is in good standing and they carry over to what ever other plan you switch. As for the refer a friend as long as the people you refered keeps their account in good standing you get your bonus.

There is no only so much a network can handle, so many people, so many calls at once, so much bandwidth, etc. 3G is very slow in comparison to LTE but I am perfectly happy with 3G myself as I would never utlize the full potential of LTE.

There are many other posts regarding 3G vs LTE. Here is one you can check out https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/3G-vs-LTE/td-p/248442 @will13am has excellent comparison there.

As for the real knowledge and future plans of public mobile throttling data speeds, I doubt any one here knows, and if they did it would be a large announcment not an answer to a single post.

Need Help? Let's chat.