cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G vs 4G

Celestial
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

When I initially signed up, I chose a 4G plan, but my phone only ever showed that I was receiving 3G service. After a couple of months, I changed to a 3G plan. Why would this be?

8 REPLIES 8

Celestial
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Agreed. I have had no issues with the 3G speed.

MoreYummy
Mayor / Maire

Go with the 3G plan if you dont mind that small decrease of maximum speed, ithas better value.

TMS
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Thanks for letting us know. Definitely stick with the 3G plans better prices and more data.

Jadebug
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Celestial wrote:

When I initially signed up, I chose a 4G plan, but my phone only ever showed that I was receiving 3G service. After a couple of months, I changed to a 3G plan. Why would this be?

I would double check the network coverage in your area. There might be minimal or no LTE coverage. Also cross reference the LTE bands support on your device versus the LTE bands that Telus uses. 

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@Celestial wrote:

If your phone isn't compatible with Public LTE, enjoy the better prices and having more data.  3g network connection is full speee.  Only LTE speed is lowered.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Anonymous wrote:

@Celestial wrote:

Maybe the phone was set to only see 3G network frequencies. ie. HSPA

@Celestial as @Anonymous mentioned, there is a preferred network type setting which you may have had set incorrectly; OR, your phone may lack compatible LTE bands.  What's your phone's brand and specific model number?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Celestial wrote:

Maybe the phone was set to only see 3G network frequencies. ie. HSPA

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Celestial wrote:

Most of the plan are covered under 3G, except for one with 1GB of data of $30 is under LTE 4G and the $47 plan with 2GB LTE. I signed up for 3G, and sometimes I get 4G network. 

Need Help? Let's chat.