cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zulu53
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

3G vs 4G vs 5G

Now that 5G has been deployed and the 4G service being unloaded when will PM be changing the data service to 4GLTE?   Being one generation behind is acceptable for the lower costs of PM vs Telus but 2 generations - is that not starting to push the bounds of acceptable business practice?  I always compare Canada to Australia (similar country where the population is concentrated in a 50-75 km high band - 3000 km wide).   The costs of PM are about what Optus charge EXCEPT they include 4G LTE.  Should PM put pressure on Telus to give better service?

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Re: 3G vs 4G vs 5G

@zulu53 

Now that is funny. 😀😀

PM appears to be a stepping stone to better positions in Telus so would you tell the hand that feeds you .........

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@zulu53 

Having full speed 4G LTE at public mobile isnt going to happen anytime soon. This is the distinguishing factor between the three tiers that telus operates. Once 3G starts to get fully decommissioned and telus offers mostly 5G to its customers we may see pm drop throttled 4G LTE service.

popping
Oracle

It will take time before PM will get the full LTE speed as 5G is not fully deployed.  Currently, we are getting LTE capped at 3Mbps or full 3G speed.

gpixel4
Mayor / Maire

@zulu53 if you can figure out the timeline when chatr added 3g data to their plans you will be able to estimate if/when the third tier might deploy full speed LTE 

Rogers deployed LTE in 2013

chatr received it's first data plan around 2015-16 so I would say 2-3 years from now we will see a higher throttle limit or full speed.

the biggest thing pm customers need to look for is volte. if this feature isnt added to pm, than there will be no future. seeing the new business model for Telus it looks as though pm will stay. 

Telus is becoming more of a "home internet plan" for cellphones. 

Koodo is the mid range affordable

Public is for cheap and very affordable

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

5G is still being rolled out to most major cities.  It is difficult to say when PM will change to 4G as they are a third tier provider.  They uses Telus and Bell towers which are 4G but throttle the speed to 3G.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@zulu53 

It wouldn't surprise me if with the big three that have three tiers of service,  they will taylor each of the generations toward the successive higher level tiers.

Telus 5G

KOODO 4G

PM 3G

The same will likely hold true for Bell and Rogers- just guessing.

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Recently I posted 2 full articles that show  CRTCs expectations. It was rudely merged  to another posting in the lounge. My post and comments were fully deleted twice. So am currently pi$$ed off. 

Here is part of it.  And does NOT say what kind of data service. So no doubt it won’t be the best.

The CRTC expects SaskTel, Bell, Telus and Rogers to offer and promote, on their premium brands, low-cost plans that will have the following attributes:

• Maximum $35/month
  • Unlimited Canada-wide incoming/outgoing calls and text messages
  • Ability to send/receive multimedia messages
  • Minimum 3 GB of data
  • Bring your own device

WoozyPolarBear
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I fully agree. PM should remain 1 generation behind the main carriers. Technically, PM does use 4G LTE, but it's artificially capped at 3 Mbps. This speed restriction is getting a bit long in the tooth though, and it's probably time PM bumps this up to something like 12-20 Mbps. There will come a time when it makes more sense to sign up with the main carrier or it's second tier carrier if PM doesn't keep pace with the industry progression.

What I expect to happen though is completely different. If anything, Telus is probably going to abandon the 3rd tier at some point down the road, and just integrate PM customers into Koodo. It's also my opinion that the main carriers like Telus, Bell, and Rogers should never have been able to own "flanker" carriers in the first place. It's intentionally confusing to give the illusion that there is competition. The CRTC should only allow mobile providers to operate under one brand name period, but offer different levels of service.

WoozyPolarBear
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I always compare Canada to Australia (similar country where the population is concentrated in a 50-75 km high band - 3000 km wide).   The costs of PM are about what Optus charge EXCEPT they include 4G LTE.  Should PM put pressure on Telus to give better service?

I always think it's a joke when the carriers use the large geographical area of Canada argument to defend themselves. If you look at the actual mobile coverage area of Canada, you will see it actually covers a smaller area than the coverage area in the USA. Taking a loot at the Telus, Bell and Rogers coverage maps reveals that Alberta is fairly well covered, but everywhere else only has very tiny slivers of coverage. Alberta accounts for about 35% of the entire coverage area of the country, with the other provinces having much smaller areas served. It's not as if Telus, Bell or Rogers is putting up towers in the backwoods so that the moose, elk, bears and wolves can have LTE coverage.

Need Help? Let's chat.