cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2gb data only being used up until to 50% before plan says 100% has been used. Plan expired?

Kepler1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I signed up during the Lunar Year promotion to get a free 2gb add on. My phone says the limit is still 2gb, but despite almost half of it being used i'm not allowed to access the internet. When I check my data usage there's no sign of the 2gb add on so i'm wondering if it expired without me knowing, but if that's the case then why is my phone still showing a 2gb limit?

13 REPLIES 13

@dabr 

This one isn't one of my personal accounts but if I remember correctly the date it was suspended via lost/stolen and the date it was reactivated had a $1 community reward added to a $2 community reward that had not been applied yet or something like that.....

dabr_0-1620670342568.png

@darlicious    How do you get a $3 Community Reward?  I don't remember seeing that amount ever being available.

@Kepler1 

Did you recently change plans? Promotions that offer bonus plan data almost always will lose the that plan data bonus if the rate plan is changed.

These data promotions are usually displayed on the right hand side of your overview page under "My Promotions" with month counter (1/8) or if there is no time limit it will show "unlimited".

Do you see this in your account? If so do you see a data counter for it on the bottom left side of your overview page? If you see the promotion listed but no data counter listing you have used up the 1gb plan bonus for the month.

Have you ever seen it but it no longer appears in the "My Promotions" section?  If this is the case then you have lost the promotion either because it was a promotional data add on thats been completely consumed or a plan change was done ( from a $25+ plan that qualified for the data bonus) that violated the terms and conditions of the promotion so it caused it to be removed from your account.

Promotional data add ons will have their counter as shown above. Plan data promotions will have their data counter under "My data and add ons."Promotional data add ons will have their counter as shown above. Plan data promotions will have their data counter under "My data and add ons."

Anonymous
Not applicable

@BlueB : You're right about the details. Maybe I should have said it more generally for add-ons but not addressing any specific promo he might have got.

I wonder then if there was a promocode used.

@Kepler1 : Did you use a promocode (not referral code)? Maybe something like "bonus2gb" or something? And what day did you activate?

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Anonymous - If I understand correctly, the promotion the OP is asking about is not a 2gb promo, which I think is what's causing the confusion here.  The promo page lists 1gb, which is why the data got cut off at 50% (ie. 1gb) out of the 2gb.

Also, if the plan is showing 250mb ($15), this is below the $25+ minimum that could possibly create other complications because the recurring 1gb promo may violate the fine print and the promo data amount may not recur.

Kepler1

Yeah that makes more sense, I guess my phone isn't synched up to what the actual data is.

BlueB

@Kepler1 

To clarify, it's not a Lunar New Year Plan, it's a promotion, the difference being that:

- Monthly plan will be a regular Public Mobile plan

- Promotion will give you a bonus 1gb of data (not 2gb) per the promotion page

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Lunar-New-Year-Offer/m-p/648251

This would be why you get cut off after 1gb (not 2gb) of data. 

The 2gb bonus may have been another promotion, which is usually a one-time bonus.  This Lunar New Year promotion gives you 1gb every month for 8 months = bonus 8gb of data in total.  Sounds like a sweeter deal to me!  🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kepler1 : The 2gb was a one-time add-on. Canadian add-ons here are added once and then consumed over time. You have the base plan data of 250mb that resets each renewal. Between renewals, you used up all of your base plan data and it moved on to using the 2gb data. Then it renews and you use the base plan data again and the add-on steps back and waits to be needed again.

So now you have used up all of that 2gb and the only data you have is your base plan data.

So sync the phone to your renewal date and put on a warning at whatever level you like. And when you get the warning, know that soon you'll be out of data. Then data just stops. No overage charges. No extremely throttled unlimited. Just stops.

Kepler1

Yes my dashboard only shows the 250mb plan, and no mention of the Lunar plan.

BlueB

@Kepler1 

Which plan are you on?  Instead of 215mb plan limit, could it be 250mb limit on the $15 plan?  You'd have needed to (1) register your email address prior to activation, (2) activate with that email address on a $25+ plan, and possibly (3) stick to the same plan.

According to the Lunar New Year promo announcement, you get 1gb every month for 8 months (and not 2gb).  Can you verify this is what you signed up for?

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Lunar-New-Year-Offer/m-p/648251

Also let us know what you see in your Public Mobile online dashboard because that's essentially what their system goes by.

BlueB

This can be a bit confusing, @Kepler1... and welcome to Public Mobile!  🙂

The best way to check how much data you've used (and remaining) is to check your account dashboard within Public Mobile at:

https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/

What you see on your phone can be a variety of things, depending on what date ranges are set up and any "hard" limits you've turned on.  Your phone "tries" to track what data is used but isn't always very accurate.  (Your phone measuring of data used is different from actual Public Mobile network-data used.)

This is often useful for post-paid plans where you can go over data and be charged for it.  In comparison, Public Mobile is a pre-paid service and they'll just cut you off when you've reached your limit.

Login to your account at Public Mobile first - see exactly what data you have use/left... once that's all clear, remove/reset the limit on your phone and hopefully that will solve this issue for you.

Feel free to let us know what you find if your data still isn't working properly!  🙂

Kepler1

My phone shows the plan limit (which is 2gb) and a user set limit (which is also 2gb). What I don't understand is if the free 2gb add on expired then why did it still allow me to go up to 1gb if that's not included in my plan and only now is it stopping me? The base limit is 215mb without the free add on, so i'm very confused. 

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@Kepler1 The 2GB limit showing on your phone is the user set limit. That is to alert you if you ever use that every month. You can change it to whatever you would like. Best to check how much data you have used or how much remaining, login to your self-serve account. If the 2GB add-on is not showing up, it means you have used it all up. When you fully use up your data included with your plan, it starts using data from the add-on. When both are used up, you cannot use data anymore until your plan renews or you add more data add-on. 

Need Help? Let's chat.