cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$25 plan v.s $15 plan ?

zoelfhere
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My current promotion plan will be expired soon( $30/m, 5G for 8 months), so I'm thinking to downgrade it to a $25 or $15 plan so that I can save some money. 

I don't go out very often, mostly study & work from home, I'll go for a grocery run on a weekly basis. Which plan would you recommend if you were me?

I appreciate any advice in advance. 

9 REPLIES 9

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@zoelfhere 

It's so easy to change plans back and forth.

I would suggest you start with cheaper and see how far it takes you. If you find yourself short of anything last week it means it almost matches your needs and add-ons will last you for very long time, in that case add-ons will be actually saving you money. My 1gig is lasting more than a year now.

If you find yourself short with regular usage half way through or before (but nothing extraordinary happened that through your usage off) it means that's just not enough for you and you better switch to 25.

To keep your small data from being drained in one week you should disable updates on data, restrict background usage, disable wifi assist or that GPS boost, disable hotspot and try to keep data off on general.

Note that MMS is unlimited and data used for it is NOT counted against your allowance, but if you use iMessages you must specify sms in your settings, otherwise the app will use your data instead

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

I switched to the 15.00 plan recently works well if you are on wifi lots and rarely make outgoing calls. 

works well for what I need at the moment. 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@zoelfhere 

If you are the lucky one with BC or AB area code phone number, you should change your plan to the $15 plan to used up your 5GB data and 1000 minutes add-ons.  The $15 plan is the only plan that you can switch to to use your 1000 minutes add-ons.

yanzhiqiang
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I like $25 plan unlimited Canada wide calls and international MMS

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@zoelfhere wrote:

My current promotion plan will be expired soon( $30/m, 5G for 8 months), so I'm thinking to downgrade it to a $25 or $15 plan so that I can save some money. 

I don't go out very often, mostly study & work from home, I'll go for a grocery run on a weekly basis. Which plan would you recommend if you were me?

I appreciate any advice in advance. 

If you don't make alot of calls and don't use alot of data...the $15 plan sounds like it was designed for you. As previously mentioned, you can also get the $5 / 500 minutes of Canada wide calling add-on just in case. Those add-on minutes won't expire until you use them up...even if that takes several months or longer.

You can also use a voip app like TextNow to call / text any Canadian or US numbers...for free. Long as you have a wifi signal, TextNow works great. I'm sure there's other voip apps that work just as well too.

The $25 plan gives you added data and unlimited Canada wide calling while you're in Canada, but if you have wifi at home....you might be $$ ahead to stay at $15 plan.

PM gives you the flexibility to upgrade to any other plan if you find the $15 plan is too lite for you.

Always good to have choices.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@zoelfhere 

It depends on your minutes/data usage every 30 days.  Do your math before decide which plan to get. 

If you have home phone to use, the $15 plan 100 outgoing minutes may be enough for you.  You can purchase $5 500 minutes add-on.  My spouse used 300 add-on minutes in 1 year.  It all depends on what you need.

If you need at least 1GB per 30 days, $25 plan is the only way to go because $15 plan + $15 1GB data add-on $30/30 days.

If you use about 500MB data per 30 days, $15 plan with 250MB + $15 1GB add-on will be good for 4 months.  Cost = $15 250MB + $4 250MB add-on = $19 for 500MB data per 30 days.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@zoelfhere If you are in BC/AB, you should've received 5GB + 1000 mins add-ons as a promotion. In this case, go for the $15. 

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@zoelfhere If you are like me and have mostly wifi connection, I would say go for the $15 plan. I supplemented it with a one time add on of 1GB of data and $5/500 mins just in case. I am 2/3 way through this cycle and have used 4 mins of my 100 lol and about 65MB of data.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@zoelfhere Depends how much data you need. the $15 plan has limited mins, but you can purchase 500 mins for only $5. So that is cheap. But the data is not so cheap. So if 250M is fine, like anyone who stays in WiFi zone most of the time, should be okay. If you need more than 250MB every month, then go for the $25 plan. Be sure to have AutoPay enabled so you get the $2 discount. 

Need Help? Let's chat.