cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 add-on questions

derekc
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

1) what does 10 days mean? Is it 10 calendar days or 10 24 hour periods?

2) When I started buying add-ons I found the system incomprehensible and unusable until I found a good guide by SR Lauren written nearly 5 years ago and then was able to buy add-ons so I could communicate with my wife on trips from and to the Spokane airport.

I have not used the guide during Covid but my wife is a dual citizen so she is able to travel to the US to visit a terminally ill daughter. She was on Rogers but recently switched to PM. and now I am paying for texting add-ons for her phone. Today I bought her first add-on and was able to do it with a great deal of trial and error. Perhaps I'm missing something or perhaps there is a change in the system but I now find Lauren's guide insufficient. Is there a new more-comprehensive step-by-step guide available?

15 REPLIES 15

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@softech wrote:

@srlawren   that is a good guide!!!  Why not update the images to reflect the current site  🙂

@softech first: thank you for the compliment.  To your question, I'd answer with it's a combination of:

1) the guide isn't really needed any more now that there is the official one, along with a handful of community regulars that are happy to copy-and-paste whenever the question comes up,

2) for anyone that wants to use my guide still, I think the process is still identical so other than aesthetics there's really no need, and

3) I don't have need for any addons at the moment or the foreseeable future on my remaining PM account.  If I had a need to be in there to buy one anyway then maybe. oh, and

4) I'm generally too disengaged with the PM community these days to be bothered (if we're being completely honest here....)

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@srlawren   that is a good guide!!!  Why not update the images to reflect the current site  🙂

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@softech wrote:

do you have the link to the guide? 

@softech I can answer this question:  HOWTO: Purchasing Add-ons

@derekc I'm not aware of anything significant that has changed since the guide was written other than possible some cosmetic changes to the site.  On the other hand, it has been quite some time and I haven't had need to purchase any add-ons for quite a while so I cannot say definitively.  At the time I wrote that post, there was no official guide.  However, there is one now, so you may also find it helpful:  https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/purchase-add-ons-through-self-serve.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@softech wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@derekc 

so why you did give accepted as solution, and you are not satisfactory response !!

@Anonymous   you should be experienced  enough to know that if OP didn't pick the solution, it was picked by one of the Oracles

@softech 

i understand that but they Oracles picked after 15 days when they OP they post something like that,,, but they OP not like they answer how they Oracles picked,,,, just you know something is big wrong in here community site they like somebody they give them everything or if someone don't like it them they take from them do you know how many time that month the Oracles take from my name 13 time but i did make reporting and them right now investigation in a special team.
something not right and wrong... i hope they are found out very soon..

Anonymous
Not applicable

@derekc : Because you disappeared for 6 days and you had a couple parts to your question. All the answers you needed were shortly after your questions.

Do you do any online shopping? Do you interact with any other online services like utilities or credit cards? It's all really quite similar.

@Anonymous wrote:

@derekc 

so why you did give accepted as solution, and you are not satisfactory response !!

@Anonymous   you should be experienced  enough to know the answer to our question.  If OP didn't pick the solution, it was picked by one of the Oracles

Anonymous
Not applicable

@derekc wrote:

Somebody arbitrarily decided that one of the responses was a solution. I DID NOT get a satisfactory response.

I got contradictory responses on the question of the meaning of "10 days" when applied to roaming add-ons and got no comprehensible answer on the question of how to get a step-by-step procedure for buying add-ons. I would prefer not have to flounder around  on the web page until something works.

I have been able to communicate by text message with my wife on this trip. I hope I can find a way to do it in the future.

@derekc 

Add-on for US Roaming 10 day packages service,

i did post at my OP all step-by-step how to you can buy it and there a link also 

Purchase Add-Ons through Self Serve (publicmobile.ca)

U.S. Roaming (publicmobile.ca)

@derekc   I also agree with @Anonymous   that you might want to use VoIP app instead of using roaming.  First of all, it is free.  Also, renewing the Add-on after 10 days sometimes is tricky.

Also, if your wife is staying for longer than 10 days, consider using local prepaid SIM for data , then you can use the VoIP app using the data and not just limited to places with Wifi.

@derekc wrote:

Somebody arbitrarily decided that one of the responses was a solution. I DID NOT get a satisfactory response.

I got contradictory responses on the question of the meaning of "10 days" when applied to roaming add-ons and got no comprehensible answer on the question of how to get a step-by-step procedure for buying add-ons. I would prefer not have to flounder around  on the web page until something works.

I have been able to communicate by text message with my wife on this trip. I hope I can find a way to do it in the future.

@derekc 

The most likely post that fit this situation may have been chosen for a solution.

Was there a solution in this particular case?
You have the ability to change the solution if you wish to something that actually helped you in this particular situation.

But, it sounded like you did not get the help you required...sorry to hear that.

USA roaming addons sometimes need CSA intervention, did you need them to help you?

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@derekc wrote:

10x24 hours (240 hours) from the moment you successfully purchase the add-ons

@derekc wrote:

2) When I started buying add-ons I found the system incomprehensible and unusable until I found a good guide by SR Lauren written nearly 5 years ago and then was able to buy add-ons so I could communicate with my wife on trips from and to the Spokane airport.

I have not used the guide during Covid but my wife is a dual citizen so she is able to travel to the US to visit a terminally ill daughter. She was on Rogers but recently switched to PM. and now I am paying for texting add-ons for her phone. Today I bought her first add-on and was able to do it with a great deal of trial and error. Perhaps I'm missing something or perhaps there is a change in the system but I now find Lauren's guide insufficient. Is there a new more-comprehensive step-by-step guide available?

do you have the link to the guide?  What exact issue you are facing?    Buying add-on is a 2 steps process. 1.  Load fund and 2. Purchase add-on  

I would load enough fund using Manual payment first.  Once you see the amount showing as Available Fund, then I will go ahead and buy

derekc
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@esjliv 

I have read here several times that the 10 day roaming add-ons start running the hour of the day you buy it and continue for 240 hours. SO I would word that as 10 - 24 hour periods but actually think 240 hours is more descriptive. Most likely it is exactly 240 hours from the minute you purchase it, not just the hour you purchase it. But… I have zero experience with this, only what I have read here.

AE_Collector

Anonymous
Not applicable

@derekc : An idea might be to use a voip app like TextNow that does talk and text. The trick is that you can receive texts in the states without an add-on. So then reply on the voip app. You just need wifi like in a hotel or coffee shop.

But the 10 day add-ons are 10 - 24 hour periods. Unfortunately, there's a bit of a bug with them where you have to wait another 24 hour period to buy the same one again. This is especially important for talk. Or you have to ask the CSA's to renew it. It's also problematic for data add-ons that you have to wait out the 10 days even though you've used it all. But you can buy a different bucket of data in that time.

I know...confusing. 🙂

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@derekc wrote:

The 10 addons are ROAMING only, meaning you must be in the USA to use this particular service.

IT means 10 calendar days.

IT is a weird process, I kind of agree. It is the going back to add the actual addon after the funds are added is what mixes up a lot of people. 

Glad you found something helpful! 🙂

Go to the HELP ARTICLES For help, it is useful!

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/ns/get-help/articles/purchase-add-ons-through-self-serve

Anonymous
Not applicable

@derekc 

Add-on for US Roaming 10 day packages service,

sign in to Self-Serve, to review your account, if you found at Available Funds: $ ?

Try To Purchase Add-Ons, or for next bill cycle the will take it from there automatically,

How To Purchase Add-Ons Using Your Self-Serve Account

To purchase Add-Ons using your Self-Serve account, follow these steps:

1. Click on ‘Purchase Add- Ons’ on the Overview tab and scroll down to the Add-On calculator.
  2. Click the plus sign (+) to add and the minus sign (-) to remove selected Add-ons.
  3. When you’ve added all your desired Add-Ons, click ‘Buy Add-Ons’ or ‘Make a Payment’ below the calculator:
    • You will see ‘Make a Payment’ instead of ‘Buy Add-Ons’ if there are not enough funds in your account to make the purchase.
    • If you don’t have sufficient funds to purchase the Add-Ons, you will be asked to make a one-time payment equal to the price of the Add-On, less your current available funds. Click ‘Submit’, then ‘Go back’: now the button below the calculator will say ‘Buy Add-Ons’.
  4. Select ‘Confirm my purchase’, and you’re off to the races!
  5. after you Add-on you have to do Rebooting your phone

what is mean for Rebooting the phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on again.

Overview Of Add-Ons visit Here link.

Need Help? Let's chat.