cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1888 numbers not working

calinlaz
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have the $40 4.5GB Canada Wide calling plan 

I have been a customer for about 10 days now. Today, I attempted to call a 1-888 number and a pre-recorded message came on saying that calling was not included in my plan. I tried another 1-888 number, and a 1-800 number and neither worked. I had no problems before using Virgin, and my friend with the same plane on Public was able to call the number. 

I restarted my phone, and overall called 6 times, and still nothing. I have tried other numbers, local and non local, and had no issues. 

21 REPLIES 21

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Try rebooting your phone.  If you have another phone then try swapping the sim.  Is there another phone# that you can call that is not toll free ?

@calinlaz wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@calinlaz Are you dialing the number or using your contacts? Dial the number directly and double check the number to make sure you are dialing tbe correct number.

Yes, it is the correct number. I have gotten others to call and they have no issues with the number, even if they are PM customers, with the same plan

@calinlaz If another PM customer can make the call it would suggest a possible configuration issue with your device. What happens when you use your sim in another phone does the call go through?

calinlaz

@geopublic wrote:

@calinlaz Are you dialing the number or using your contacts? Dial the number directly and double check the number to make sure you are dialing tbe correct number.

Yes, it is the correct number. I have gotten others to call and they have no issues with the number, even if they are PM customers, with the same plan

calinlaz

@LovesToPM wrote:

@calinlaz 

Make sure you are dialing the number correctly 1-888 + 7 digits. If for some reason you happen to enter 8 digits accidentally, the call will not go through.

If problem persists, you should contact Moderators as they may need to reset your account.

To submit a ticket to Moderators, click on the green Question Mark (at bottom right).
Type "submit a ticket" or "contact us" to get started.

I am dialing the numbers correctly. I have already submitted a ticket as well. 

calinlaz

@hairbag1 wrote:

@WoozyPolarBear wrote:

@hairbag1 wrote:

Try dialling the number 888 without dialing 1.

Using a 1 before the area code is mandatory on toll free calls.

Don't think that's true any longer...maybe in the old days of landlines.

Tried it without the 1, still nothing

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@calinlaz I have an app, TextNow, that allows you to call or text any number within North America. But the app must be used in wifi or data. If you need to call soon, you can do so.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

Anonymous
Not applicable

@WoozyPolarBear wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@WoozyPolarBear wrote:

it works because modern smartphones will automatically put it in for you. Technically, the call is being placed with a 1 being used. If you don't place the 1 using a landline, the call won't complete.

So then I tried it on my Telus Wireless Home Phone (TWHP) using a cordless phone. No 1. Connected. My S7 did appear to perhaps figure out to put in a 1. My Nokia Windows Phone 8.1 looks like it worked without a 1. Even an old-fashioned touch tone phone on the TWHP worked without actually typing a 1. And it ain't no smart phone.

Strange, I have noticed when I make regular long distance calls on a landline without the one, first I get an operator message saying "your call may be subject to long distance charges, please wait while we connect the call". So I guess you are right about it automatically connecting with or without a 1. However, if you dial a long distance number and include the 1, then I don't get the operator message. Anyway, I do stand corrected. Must have changed in the past few years.

I agree. I had the same thought as you. Then hairbag1 says his thing and I just had to try it. And it worked!

On my old BB OS10 too.

WoozyPolarBear
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Anonymous wrote:

@WoozyPolarBear wrote:

it works because modern smartphones will automatically put it in for you. Technically, the call is being placed with a 1 being used. If you don't place the 1 using a landline, the call won't complete.

So then I tried it on my Telus Wireless Home Phone (TWHP) using a cordless phone. No 1. Connected. My S7 did appear to perhaps figure out to put in a 1. My Nokia Windows Phone 8.1 looks like it worked without a 1. Even an old-fashioned touch tone phone on the TWHP worked without actually typing a 1. And it ain't no smart phone.

Strange, I have noticed when I make regular long distance calls on a landline without the one, first I get an operator message saying "your call may be subject to long distance charges, please wait while we connect the call". So I guess you are right about it automatically connecting with or without a 1. However, if you dial a long distance number and include the 1, then I don't get the operator message. Anyway, I do stand corrected. Must have changed in the past few years.

@calinlaz 

Make sure you are dialing the number correctly 1-888 + 7 digits. If for some reason you happen to enter 8 digits accidentally, the call will not go through.

If problem persists, you should contact Moderators as they may need to reset your account.

To submit a ticket to Moderators, click on the green Question Mark (at bottom right).
Type "submit a ticket" or "contact us" to get started.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@WoozyPolarBear wrote:

@WoozyPolarBear wrote:

@hairbag1 wrote:

@WoozyPolarBear wrote:

@hairbag1 wrote:

This isn't true, at least not for Public Mobile customers.  The 1 does not need to be dialed. My phone is not adding the 1. 

WoozyPolarBear

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hairbag1 wrote:

@WoozyPolarBear wrote:

@hairbag1 wrote:

That I had to check. Interesting. Called my bank with an 888 #. At first I got an all circuits are busy. Tried another account and it connected. Tried the first again and then it worked.

Then tried without the 1 fully expecting it not to work. It did.

@WoozyPolarBear wrote:

@hairbag1 wrote:

WoozyPolarBear

@hairbag1 wrote:

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@calinlaz wrote:

The number is literally for the government of Ontario. It's a Canadian number 

Try the lost/stolen phone trick to provision your plan features again.

1. Login to your self-serve account.
2. Report your phone lost/stolen using [Plan and Add-Ons] --> [Lost/Stolen Phone]
3. Logoff
4. Wait 5 minutes and login again
5. Report your phone found.
6. Re-start you phone to provision your account again. i.e. enable all features of you plan again.

If this trick fails to fix the issue, adding $1 to your account will re-provision your plan again.

calinlaz

The number is literally for the government of Ontario. It's a Canadian number 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@calinlaz wrote:

I have the $40 4.5GB Canada Wide calling plan 

I have been a customer for about 10 days now. Today, I attempted to call a 1-888 number and a pre-recorded message came on saying that calling was not included in my plan. I tried another 1-888 number, and a 1-800 number and neither worked. I had no problems before using Virgin, and my friend with the same plane on Public was able to call the number. 

I restarted my phone, and overall called 6 times, and still nothing. I have tried other numbers, local and non local, and had no issues. 

I just call a 1-888 number for MBNA credit card customer service using my $10 50/50 plan and it worked.

You may be calling a 1-888 number which cannot be access from Canada.  I know some toll free number can only be called in USA side.

WoozyPolarBear

I am having these issues too.

Need Help? Let's chat.