cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

18+1.5GB Plan?

brentjefkins
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just want to make sure that I am reading right before I upgrade.

Is there a plan that is 18GB + 1.5 BONUS @ 3G speed?

Also, how does this affect my current 90 day plan if I change halfway through?

8 REPLIES 8

@brentjefkins wrote:

@Is there a plan that is 18GB + 1.5 BONUS @ 3G speed?

Unless you've already used up your data limit, I wouldn't change the plan halfway through.  If you do that you will lose the remainder of that plan.  You will then also need to immediately pay for the new plan.  In most cases, you'll probably wish to future date your plan change so that it takes effect on your next renewal date.

Acekiller
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

just future date your plan or use up your existing data first.

GreatCanadian

@srlawren Oh, absolutely. But network performance for common tasks (browsing, checking email, posting what you had for lunch on social media, etc.) is adequately met with the throttled LTE 3G speeds of public mobile. LTE latency is responsible for a major part of that performance. But yes, you are correct in stating that HSPA+ networks are certainly capable of higher speeds. Now if the OP is a heavy online gamer, or downloading large files, or streaming in 4k (I haven't tried that on 3G yet) then perhaps 3G won't be suffice.

GC

@srlawren, yes I should have specified I was referring to latency.  3G speeds can get higher than our throttled LTE Lite.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@GreatCanadian wrote:

@brentjefkins 

@ShawnC13 makes an excellent point there. 3g speeds on LTE network is indeed better than standard 3g performance.

GC

@GreatCanadian @ShawnC13 yes and no.  Sure, the latency is lower, but an HSPA+ network is capable of quite a bit higher than the 3Mbps cap on the "3G Speed" plans PM offers. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

GreatCanadian

@brentjefkins 

@ShawnC13 makes an excellent point there. 3g speeds on LTE network is indeed better than standard 3g performance.

GC

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@brentjefkins wrote:

@Is there a plan that is 18GB + 1.5 BONUS @ 3G speed?

Yes there is and remember it is actually a LTE connection with a throttled speed so it is better than a 3G connection.  If you change midway through your plan you will lose whatever is remaining on your current plan.  BUT you can go in and FUTURE date your plan change that will take effect once your current plan is up and you won't lose out on anything.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

GreatCanadian

Yes, that's a 19.5 GB plan for 90 days. If you switch to it now, you still keep any rewards that you have (what plan are you on?). If you switch IMMEDIATELY you will lose credit for whatever you have remaining on this cycle. If you make the change in self-serve and future-date the plan, you'll be fine. In that case, your current plan will stay in effect until the end of your current cycle, and the 18 + 1.5 will kick in on your renewal date.

GC

EDIT: Also, if you are on a province wide 3g plan, change it to Canada-wide. They're the same price.

Need Help? Let's chat.