cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$15 Plan comparison Public Mobile vs Lucky

geopublic
Mayor / Maire
  • 100 minutes incoming & outgoing Canada-wide minutes (Advantage: Public Mobile includes 100 minute outgoing and unlimited incoming)
  • Unlimited Canada-wide & International texts (No Advantage)
  • 250 MB of data every month with Automatic Top-Up (Advantage: Public Mobile includes an additional $2.00 reward every 30 days)
  • Extra Data: Can continue to use data at reduced speeds of up to 128 Kbps for email, light browsing, third party apps, (like uber, uber eats, scene etc),  and messaging at no additional charge once you have exceeded your allotted 3G data. (Advantage: Lucky )
  • Wi-Fi Calling: Via Lucky's App download. Note: Since you have 128 Kbps data you can also use applications like Hangout Dialer for outgoing calls. (Advantage: Lucky )

Thoughts anyone?

13 REPLIES 13

@canadian100 wrote:

The above information for Lucky Mobile $15 plan has changed since this posting.

One of Lucky $15 plans includes:

100 minutes outgoing talk

Unlimited incoming talk

Unlimited text

250MB Data with Auto Top Up.

Seems very competitive with PM except for the bonus $2 PM pays for Auto Top Up.

Lucky Mobile uses the Bell system while PM uses the Telus system.

Has anyone had experience with Lucky Mobile? Was it reliable and user friendly?

A couple of my comparison thoughts:

• Officially, Lucky Mobile does not support call forwarding: https://www.luckymobile.ca/support/plans-add-ons/calling-features I'd like to know if someone has actually tried setting call forwarding on Lucky to confirm the reality. This is a standard feature at Public Mobile - officially it consuming minutes, but it has been confirmed that this only applied to the old $10 and $15 plans - current $15 plan has unlimited call forwarding.
  • On a price front, PM $15 plan is initially really $13 with auto-pay - but without doing anything else, that will reduce another $5/mo to $8 after 5 years with the loyalty reward... so there is a pretty good long-term benefit there. Any referral or community rewards on top of that are gravy.
  • Lucky does have more versatile international calling options, but has *NO* roaming outside of Canada. Public Mobile has a slight advantage by offering USA roaming add-ons, but nowhere else.
  • Lucky has an app to check usage and make wifi calls. But PM's web page isn't too hard to live with, and there's a plethora of other free wifi calling apps.. I personally like to keep installed apps to a minimum...

canadian100
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

The above information for Lucky Mobile $15 plan has changed since this posting.

One of Lucky $15 plans includes:

100 minutes outgoing talk

Unlimited incoming talk

Unlimited text

250MB Data with Auto Top Up.

Seems very competitive with PM except for the bonus $2 PM pays for Auto Top Up.

Lucky Mobile uses the Bell system while PM uses the Telus system.

Has anyone had experience with Lucky Mobile? Was it reliable and user friendly?

@LovesToPM wrote:

I was interested to know more about the Lucky offer. Why not go to the source?

So I called them to find out more.

Here is what they told me. The unlimited data at slower speeds (throttled) applies to all their plans except for the $15 100 minutes calling plan. When asked why, the rep responded that the data with that plan is an Auto Top-up bonus, it is not eligible for the unlimited data. When I asked about the service pass, she told me I will not be eligible to buy the Data service Pass or Data Add-ons with that plan.

If anyone hears otherwise, please let me know.

@LovesToPM   Thanks for sleuthing and getting the clarification:)

So advantage to PM:)

I was interested to know more about the Lucky offer. Why not go to the source?

So I called them to find out more.

Here is what they told me. The unlimited data at slower speeds (throttled) applies to all their plans except for the $15 100 minutes calling plan. When asked why, the rep responded that the data with that plan is an Auto Top-up bonus, it is not eligible for the unlimited data. When I asked about the service pass, she told me I will not be eligible to buy the Data service Pass or Data Add-ons with that plan.

If anyone hears otherwise, please let me know.

@LovesToPM   I wasn't referencing the $25 plan with Lucky, only the $15 plan equivalent to PM's $15 plan.  However, I agree when I first read the details, I too thought it meant there was no additional data once the 250mb is consumed.  But after clicking the service pass link, I'm not sure because it seems like data is usable at a reduced speed.

@geopublic   Agree that Lucky Mobile details are confusing too.

@LovesToPM wrote:

@dabr wrote:

@LovesToPM  It looks like reduced speed data is available on the $15 plan if you click on the service pass info link.  You're right that the $15/750MB is fairly new, I noticed it a few months ago.

It would be great if PM matches some sort of reduced speed data availability but I'm not holding my breath:)

Hi @dabr  Lucky is not 100% clear on this.

Here is what I read:

With the exception of the "100 Minutes Canada-wide Calling Plan", all Lucky plans specifically state: "Unlimited additional data at reduced speeds of up to 128 Kbps for email, light browsing and messaging once you have exceeded your allotted 3G data."

If we are talking about the $15 "100 Minutes Canada-wide Calling Plan", it still states "250 MB of data every month with Automatic Top-Up". There is a servicepass hyperlink, but this plan also states "Additional Data Add-ons are not available on this plan. If you want to use more calling minutes, you will need to purchase a Service Pass."

@LovesToPM  Click on the actual Service Pass link, what does it say? If you have the service pass option then you have the 128 Kbps throttled data option. That's how I read it anyway.

@dabr wrote:

@LovesToPM  It looks like reduced speed data is available on the $15 plan if you click on the service pass info link.  You're right that the $15/750MB is fairly new, I noticed it a few months ago.

It would be great if PM matches some sort of reduced speed data availability but I'm not holding my breath:)

Hi @dabr  Lucky is not 100% clear on this.

Here is what I read:

With the exception of the "100 Minutes Canada-wide Calling Plan", all Lucky plans specifically state: "Unlimited additional data at reduced speeds of up to 128 Kbps for email, light browsing and messaging once you have exceeded your allotted 3G data."

If we are talking about the $15 "100 Minutes Canada-wide Calling Plan", it still states "250 MB of data every month with Automatic Top-Up". There is a servicepass hyperlink, but this plan also states "Additional Data Add-ons are not available on this plan. If you want to use more calling minutes, you will need to purchase a Service Pass."

So it looks like Lucky has unlimited data on all their plans except for the pre-existing $15 plan.

I thought this discussion was limited to the $15 plans and did not consider the more expensive plans.

For the $25+ plans, the addition of unlimited data at reduced speeds definitely changes the playing field.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@geopublic wrote:

@LovesToPM wrote:

@geopublic wrote:
  • 100 minutes incoming & outgoing Canada-wide minutes (Advantage: Public Mobile includes 100 minute outgoing and unlimited incoming)
  • 250 MB of data every month with Automatic Top-Up (Advantage: Public Mobile includes an additional $2.00 reward every 30 days)
  • Extra Data: Can continue to use data at reduced speeds of up to 128 Kbps for email, light browsing, third party apps, (like uber, uber eats, scene etc),  and messaging at no additional charge once you have exceeded your allotted 3G data. (Advantage: Lucky )
  • Wi-Fi Calling: Via Lucky's App download. Note: Since you have 128 Kbps data you can also use applications like Hangout Dialer for outgoing calls. (Advantage: Lucky )

Thoughts anyone?

Lucky now has two $15 plans.
There has been no change to their existing $15 plan which includes 250MB of data, unlimited texting and a total 100 minutes calling time... which as you state is inferior to PM's $15 plan.

The $15 data-only plan is new. This is interesting for customers who require only a little data. As a direct competitor, PM should be offering something similar.

@LovesToPMNo change?  With PM data stops working when you used up you 250MB data allotment with Lucky you data continues to work at 128Kbps speeds. Big difference. 

"Extra Data: Can continue to use data at reduced speeds of up to 128 Kbps for email, light browsing, third party apps, (like uber, uber eats, scene etc), and messaging at no additional charge once you have exceeded your allotted 3G data. (Advantage: Lucky )"

@geopublic Please reread what I wrote. Lucky now has two $15 plans.

I was referring to their "100 Minutes Canada-wide Calling Plan - $15/mo"
This plan has not changed as far as I can tell. Data still stops after you have used up the alloted 250MB.

The unlimited additional data applies to their new $15 "Canada-Wide Data Only Plan". This is a data only plan.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Remembering those days(late 1990 era) we were using 56k dialup modem to access Internet.  I am wondering how well Flipp will work with 128kbps speed.  There will be a long line after me at the checkout.  lol.

@LovesToPM wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

Thoughts anyone?

There has been no change to their existing $15 plan which includes 250MB of data, unlimited texting and a total 100 minutes calling time... which as you state is inferior to PM's $15 plan.

The $15 data-only plan is new. This is interesting for customers who require only a little data. As a direct competitor, PM should be offering something similar.

@LovesToPMNo change?  With PM data stops working when you used up you 250MB data allotment with Lucky you data continues to work at 128Kbps speeds. Big difference. 

"Extra Data: Can continue to use data at reduced speeds of up to 128 Kbps for email, light browsing, third party apps, (like uber, uber eats, scene etc), and messaging at no additional charge once you have exceeded your allotted 3G data. (Advantage: Lucky )"

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

@geopublic wrote:

Thoughts anyone?

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

My thought: definitely some place for improvement.

That extra data looks nice

Who upgraded to 256 after allotment is up? That would be much nicer

Need Help? Let's chat.