cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$15 Plan + Add-Ons

Obice
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hello,

Today I made the decision to try out the $15 plan and see how it goes. I have some questions though...

As gifts from PM I have 1GB of data and 400 LD minutes to X amount of countries.

When my account is switched over to the $15 plan I know I will only have 100 outgoing minutes across Canada but should I go over that will I begin to use up the LD minutes or are they strictly for cross-country talking? If I call someone from the States, as an example, will PM use my 400 LD minutes only or will it count my 100 outgoing minutes as fair game as well?

With the $15 plan a person gets 250MB of data and when that runs out you have to wait till your next billing cycle. However with the 1GB of data I believe that goes away once I use it up.

Thanks.

37 REPLIES 37

Sorry @Obice 

What I meant to say is not to accidentally provide WiFi hotspot by your phone, that will kill your data. I've read here in the community somebody went to the airport and all the remaining of her 5 gig was gone.

Obice

@Jb456 wrote:

You would have to buy a USA add-on if you want to call "From" the states.

The holiday gift is good for calling when you're in Canada and yes you can call local numbers as well.

International calling covers the following countries: Canada, United States, China, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, India, Italy, South Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Spain, Thailand, United Kingdom, and Venezuela

If you use your 100 calling minutes or 250mb of data then your holiday gifts will kick in and you can use that. Holidays l gifts will rollover every 30 days till all used up.

You might also consider buying the $5 500 Canada wide minutes that would also rollover each 30 days until used up.

When I wrote "from" I meant that I'd be - in theory - calling someone who is from the States, not that I'd be in the States.

I knew some of the countries, I just put X to generalize. Personally I barely use the phone to call people which is partially why I'm trying out a cheaper plan.

I probably will get 500 minutes for $5 if it comes to that, I don't see it happening though. The free 400 will probably last me eons. (Haha) What I am disgruntled about is how much pay-per-use data is. $30/1GB. JFC.

Thanks for the help, you and everyone else.

Obice

@totalUser wrote:

Hi @Obice 

2 suggestions:

Restrict background data for most of apps, otherwise you will have hard time going through30 days, they constantly download something.

Don't boost your Wi-Fi with mobile signal, that will drain you and dont provide wifi accidentally to neighborhood

Go ahead try it, it's really easy to switch back, i still didn't start using my gift add-on, if you can tame your phone you can save money, and if your situation changes easy to come back, if you gonna be on the go or travelling you can temporary switch up and schedule switch back.

Public really makes it easy for you, just read before you click "ok"

As far as using data goes, I hardly use it. Mobile phone plans were just coming out when I was growing up. I grew up partially in the era where you only turned on your data in emergencies and for the most part I still follow that routine. Furthermore, I have the Play store to not download anything automatically - it's all manually and only on WIFI.

I have given some friends my WIFI password in the past (they have their own now) and when they had it they used it sparingly (I could monitor them through my router). Far as I'm concerned I don't mind leading my WIFI to people I know because it's unlimited and most of my nearby friends either have their own WIFI now or they just use data.

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

Hi @Obice 

2 suggestions:

Restrict background data for most of apps, otherwise you will have hard time going through30 days, they constantly download something.

Don't boost your Wi-Fi with mobile signal, that will drain you and dont provide wifi accidentally to neighborhood

Go ahead try it, it's really easy to switch back, i still didn't start using my gift add-on, if you can tame your phone you can save money, and if your situation changes easy to come back, if you gonna be on the go or travelling you can temporary switch up and schedule switch back.

Public really makes it easy for you, just read before you click "ok"

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Obice  Your 100 plan minutes will be used for calling within Canada. It will then use the free holiday 400 international minutes add on. However if you purchase the $5/500min add on it will use that instead of the holiday add on if you wish to save it for out of country calls. It is also about $0.04 per minute compared to $0.01 per minute with the $5/500 min add on. Once your plan data runs out it will dip into the add on. Just use your data saver and restrict background data usage on 95% of your apps to prevent data wastage. You can keep your mobile data off unless you need it to prevent unecessary data use.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Obice wrote:

Hello,

Today I made the decision to try out the $15 plan and see how it goes. I have some questions though...

As gifts from PM I have 1GB of data and 400 LD minutes to X amount of countries.

When my account is switched over to the $15 plan I know I will only have 100 outgoing minutes across Canada but should I go over that will I begin to use up the LD minutes or are they strictly for cross-country talking? If I call someone from the States, as an example, will PM use my 400 LD minutes only or will it count my 100 outgoing minutes as fair game as well?

With the $15 plan a person gets 250MB of data and when that runs out you have to wait till your next billing cycle. However with the 1GB of data I believe that goes away once I use it up.

Thanks.

Your 100 plan minutes will only be used for outgoing calls within Canada.  If you make a call to US or any country on that list of countries for international calling, then your minutes will come from the 400 LD mins.  These mins will also be used whenever you have used up your 100 plan minutes before your plan renews.  100 plan mins/250 bonus data with autopay is reset at plan renewal. 

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

You would have to buy a USA add-on if you want to call "From" the states.

The holiday gift is good for calling when you're in Canada and yes you can call local numbers as well.

International calling covers the following countries: Canada, United States, China, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, India, Italy, South Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Spain, Thailand, United Kingdom, and Venezuela

If you use your 100 calling minutes or 250mb of data then your holiday gifts will kick in and you can use that. Holidays l gifts will rollover every 30 days till all used up.

You might also consider buying the $5 500 Canada wide minutes that would also rollover each 30 days until used up.

Need Help? Let's chat.