cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$10 plan good but can it be doubled.

MKennedy
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

The basic $10/mo plan is OK but just a bit too limited.  The $20 plan with talk has no text.  Any chance of a $20 plan that is basically a doubled $10 plan?  Can you port in phone numbers that already exist as well?

21 REPLIES 21

ottawa
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Anonymous wrote:

From my somewhat recent learning I would prefer my phone just stop working rather than getting a surprise charge.

Earlier this month, I was using a postpaid Koodo SIM (0min + 500MB) and forgot I'd disabled WiFi on my phone. I blew through the 500MB in less than a day. But because of Koodo's "Shock Free Data", I got a text offering options to top-up. With any other postpaid carrier, I'd probably have hit 1GB or more before I noticed.

It was a reminder I can't go back to paying overages, it was bad enough monitoring my PM to see how close I was to tapping the Data Add-On. If I have to go to a postpaid plan for some reason (can't imagine) I'll pick Koodo over the others for that reason alone.

=aw

ottawa

@MKennedy wrote:

Actually the $15 Petro plan is 25 min +unlimited text but that seems to be a much better option for me.  I need a bit of talk but more text. And their unlimited text with 200 min talk for $20 is a great deal too.

If you want text more than talk, this does seem better (I was going to recommend Speakout which someone already did). Do beware of the $1.25/mo. Also, in case it matters, Petrocan and Speakout are on Rogers network, Public Mobile is on Bell/Telus. Doesn't matter in most places, but there are places where you will get one but not the other (the areas I know are Bell/Telus towers with no Rogers, in rural QC, but I think the opposite does happen in some places).

@MKennedy, on the contrary, I'm ecstatic about the selection available here at Public Mobile.

Sure, there are things I would like to have available, but for me, I don't call outside of my Province more than once a year, I don't text much, but I love my data.  If I didn't require the text messages, I'd be on a data-only plan.

I like that I'm not paying for Canada-wide calling right now, as provincial is all I need.

Saying this, I'm planning to switch now to the $50 8 GB plan.  I'm going to stream music constantly, and even use high quality to see how far it can go.  I get the added benefit of the US and Canada calling.  Maybe I'll call my parents to check in on them when they travel to the US more often.

Public Mobile's not for everyone - but it's great for me.

I see a $20 plan with 100 minutes and some texts to just be overcomplicating things.  There's already a $25 unlimited talk and text plan. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MKennedy wrote:

Actually the $15 Petro plan is 25 min +unlimited text but that seems to be a much better option for me.  I need a bit of talk but more text. And their unlimited text with 200 min talk for $20 is a great deal too.

They charge overages and they're with the Rogers network.

From my somewhat recent learning I would prefer my phone just stop working rather than getting a surprise charge.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Although I am late to the party, I will throw in my 5c worth.  Add-on minutes are far cheaper than the included minutes.  I can double up the minutes by buying an add-on.  Why on earth would I want to pay $10 just to have 50 more minutes. 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@MKennedy wrote:

It was mainly the texts.  If you can do the $10 plan there is no good reason a doubled $20 plan could not be created.  Your choice.  Customer or not.

@MKennedy just so you're aware, everyone that's responded to this (including myself) so far are just customers.  So, we don't really have that choice.  

In terms of could a $20 version of this plan be created--yes of course there's literally no reason it couldn't be.  However, PM thus far have not chosen to.  The intent of this $10 plan is really for VERY basic use, such as for an emergency phone to store in an elderly parent's glove box for when their car breaks down, or to give to younger child in case they get bullied walking home from school and need to call you to come pick them up.  Things like that. 

The closest you're going to get to what you're asking is the $25 plan which includes unlimited inbound and outbound texts (hooray!) and unlimited calling but only province-wide.  If you only make occasional calls outside of your province, this plan may work well for you, if you add on an $8 200 min long distance add on for calling numbers outside your province.  Since those minutes do not expire, if you only do this occasionally, that $8 200 mins could last you several months.  Then you can buy more if you need them when those run out.

If you need unlimtied Canada-wide calling, then your best value for your money is the $30 plan.  Not only does it upgrade your unlimtied calling to Canada-wide, it also adds 500MB (okay, it's not a lot, but it's some) thorttled data (okay it's not fast, but it's usable) all for an extra $5 over the $25 plan while maintaining the unlimimited texting.

Thses are the plans that are on offer here.  If they don't work for you, then I'll turn your phrase back at you:  Your choice.  Public Mobile or not.  Feel free to look around at other alternatives.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

EdmondY

It's a promotional plan that runs every so often for a few months or so.  I found a old RFD link which you should check out: https://forums.redflagdeals.com/petro-canada-15-unlimited-text-lot-plan-100min-back-again-2163361/

Do note that you'll be billed a extra $1.25 for 911 access so you'll have to have enough money in the account to cover it.

MKennedy

EdmondY

You could try the Petro Canada special offer.  The current one is $20 for 200 minutes and unlimited texting.  People typically like the $15 one however, which instead of 200 minutes, it's 150 minutes?  Something like that, but you can consider that instead if you like.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MKennedy: I was first looking at Koodo for their unlimited texting for $15 and then getting the talk add-ons.

I would also like to see something like that here. Here they offer the 50/50. I would also like to see unlimited or a much higher limit for texting as an add-on. But no more than a total of $15 🙂

Alas.

Edit: As a perhaps correction...you can't add talk add-ons to a plan without talk. Fineprint #6 says so.

@austinhuang wrote:

@MKennedy wrote:

It was mainly the texts.  If you can do the $10 plan there is no good reason a doubled $20 plan could not be created.  Your choice.  Customer or not.

If you do Build your Own Plan, choose 90 days - No talk - Unlimited Text - No data, that'll be $55 which equals to $18.33 every 30 days. But there's no call.

I mean you could buy addons. On average, if you only use 2 minutes a day, then you pay an extra $8 every 90 days.

$55 + $8 = $63 every 90 days = $21 every 30 days.

@austinhuang

you can't have just the base without any features - you need to choose at least one of the talk, text and/or data features. Also talk add-ons don't work without a talk base feature.

@MKennedy

Take the offers at Public Mobile for what they are not what you want them to be.

You get unlimited (province wide) talk  and text for $25 here. If you look for $20 for 100minutes and unlimited text you should look at SpeakOut.

@austinhuang wrote:

@MKennedy wrote:

If you do Build your Own Plan, choose 90 days - No talk - Unlimited Text - No data, that'll be $55 which equals to $18.33 every 30 days. But there's no call.

I mean you could buy addons. On average, if you only use 2 minutes a day, then you pay an extra $8 every 90 days.

Ah, however this happened... I should know better than I replying on the phone. Sorry!

austinhuang
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@popping wrote:

@austinhuang wrote:

@MKennedy wrote:

I read posts saying that we cannot buy minutes add-on if the base plan does not have minutes.  If it is correct, the $8 200 minutes add-on will not work.

ohrly... I don't have addon experiences so

@MKennedy To double your plan, try 7/11 Speakout (If you're in their service area). For $20 you can get 100min Canada-wide and unlimited text.

popping

@austinhuang wrote:

@MKennedy wrote:

I read posts saying that we cannot buy minutes add-on if the base plan does not have minutes.  If it is correct, the $8 200 minutes add-on will not work.  Correct me if I am wrong.

MKennedy

not what I'm looking for.  Other companies can add on 100 texts for $5/month but the base service is too much talk.  Your build your own is limited to unlimited instead of having limit options.  Ah well, another company too interested in not meeting customer needs but it's own.

austinhuang

@MKennedy wrote:

MKennedy

popping

@MKennedy wrote:

The basic $10/mo plan is OK but just a bit too limited.  The $20 plan with talk has no text.  Any chance of a $20 plan that is basically a doubled $10 plan?  Can you port in phone numbers that already exist as well?

If you need extra minutes for the $10 plan, you can get the $8 200 minutes add-on which does not expired.  Unused minutes will be rolled over to the next months until all minutes are used.

But there is no text messages add-on ATM.

PM may add more plan by checking https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans

srlawren

@MKennedy wrote:

@MKennedy yes you can port in your existing number no problem.  No, the plan cannot be doubled.

Are you worried about the minutes, the texts, or both?

if it's just the minutes that you are worried about running out of, you can purchase "long distance" minute add-on(s) that--on this $10 plan only--can be used for local calls after your 50 mins run out.  They are $8 for 200 mins or $15 for 400, and the mins do not expire, they stay on your account until used up.

If it's the texts your worried about, unfortunately, there's no add-on for those so once your 50 outbound texts are used up, you're out of luck till your 30 days are up.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

austinhuang

You can port in numbers.

For calls: A 200-min US/Canada addon costs $8. A 400-min International addon costs $15. No expiry (Unused parts roll over to the months after). There are no text addons, however. You can try supplement services like https://textnow.com (Free US number + free unlimited text).

If this solves your question, please select my reply as Solution!

Need Help? Let's chat.