cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$10 Plan and addon minutes

toolman
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

This has likely been answered before. Sorry I found it hard to navigate to find an answer.

My mother has a $10 plan. If I buy her a 200 or 400 min addon, will she first use up her 50 monthly minutes then be able to use the addon as a backup? The reason ask is it seems like a cheap loophole to be able to to just add 400 minutes at 3.5 cents a minute when the base plan is charging 20 cents a month.i wasnt sure of this would work. 

20 REPLIES 20

DL00
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Cool that the long distance minutes can be used as plan minutes if the plan minutes run out.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ztra, yes, you would have the 50 plan minutes plus 400 long distance minutes.  LD minutes do not expire and can be used as regular plan minutes if the 50 run out in any month.

DL00

It just occurred to me that the 400 minutes of international long distance are good until they are used up. If it takes a year to use them up, then so be it. Based on the link you posted it  does look like the 50 minutes will be deducted from the plan as well.

Capture.PNG

Hope this helps.

DL00

I see what you mean. That is an old post though. I wonder if things are different now?

ztra

I can easily add the 400 International minutes to my phone and it would work fine but she would need my phone to call home to China.

ztra

I haven't done anything to my account yet. I just signed my wife up on PM today (I joined about a month ago). She just needs a basic phone and a few text. My phone will be the primary household phone. Since she is the only one that would call China I was going to put the 400 International plan on her phone, but I think now she would only be able to use 50 minutes a month since that is all the air time she gets, with the basic plan. 

My question is, if I add the 400 International plan to her phone will she have 50 minutes of Canadian wide minutes plus 400 International minutes that she can carry over every month?

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hi,
If you have any questions concerning your account, just send a private message through the following link:
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

DL00

That sounds like an interesting situation. 

I don't know much about it, but that just doesn't seem to make sense.

Do you have a link to the other post you referred to?

ztra

I just read another post that sounds like that when you use the 400 minutes for long distance that you are also using the minutes from the 50 per month "cell phone minutes". So, if that is the case then you can never use up the 400, since you can only use 50 minutes a month.

Has anyone tried this combination before?

jp2
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

My understanding from other posts I've seen is that the add on minutes will be used any time you are making a call not included with the 50 minutes. After the 50 minutes are usued up the add on will start being used. I'm not positive of this because I don't have that plan. 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ztra wrote:

If I have the $10 plan with the $15 400 international minute add-on and my wife calls China.  Does this phone call to China only deduct from the 400 minutes?  Also, if she uses up the 50 minutes before the end of the 30 days can she use the remaining balance of the 400 minutes to make local phone calls?  

Finally, my last question the International Minute add-on only includes about 18 different countries but the United States is not listed.  Can it be used for calls to the United States?

@ztra yes calls to USA numbers (while you are still physically in Canada) are included, with the exception of a few exchanges, noted here:  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Which-U-S-area-codes-are-not-supported-....

I can't say for sure what happen with your 50 mins when you make long distance calls using the add-on--that's a great question.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

ztra

If I have the $10 plan with the $15 400 international minute add-on and my wife calls China.  Does this phone call to China only deduct from the 400 minutes?  Also, if she uses up the 50 minutes before the end of the 30 days can she use the remaining balance of the 400 minutes to make local phone calls?  

Finally, my last question the International Minute add-on only includes about 18 different countries but the United States is not listed.  Can it be used for calls to the United States?

DC1

Good question and nice answer , its a nice option good for people on a budget who need  a few extra minutes. Its nice to see they have such a variety of plans something for absolutley everyone.  I like businesses who work like this rather then force feeding us like catttle ..

Acekiller
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

the long D mintues are great buys!

@toolman wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply. This is a really cheap way to add minutes to the 10 plan.

Yes, Plan minutes are used before Add-On minutes are used, Plan minutes renew every billing cycle and Add-On minutes rollover billing cycles indefinitely until completely used.

It is a cheap way to add minutes to the Limited Talk Plan.  The Long Distance Add-Ons also extend calling range, they're 200 minutes Canada & USA, or 400 minutes Canada & USA & International*.

* "International" includes China (and Hong Kong, but not Taiwan), France, Germany, Greece, India, Italy, Korea (South), Malaysia, Mexico, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Spain, Thailand, United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Wales, not sure about Ireland), and Venezuela.

Upgrading from $10 Limited Talk/Text Plan to $20 Unlimited Talk Plan would be even cheaper than multiple Long Distance Add-Ons, assuming over 300 minutes of calling each month, that Province Talk (not Canada & USA & International Talk) is good enough, and that no Text is needed (ergo $25 Unlimited Talk/Text Plan).  And Long Distance Add-Ons (any Add-Ons) can of course be combined with Unlimited Talk Plans, only using up their minutes when actually calling beyond the boundaries of Unlimited Talk Plans.

Don't forget to score your AutoPay and Referral Rewards with this account, save a few more bucks every month.

Kristi1

Yes, it is. Add ons she can saved how long she needs and is cheap. And please rember that she also could renew her 50/50 plan earlier than a month if she wants 🙂

toolman

Thanks for the quick reply. This is a really cheap way to add minutes to the 10 plan.

Kristi1

At first her 50 minutes use up and then the adds one – 200 or 400 min. Yet these 200 or 400 min will roll over to the following months. In meantime her new 50 min plan renews and again at first she'll use 50 min plan (which not roll over). So this would work for her.

Need Help? Let's chat.