cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10-Day Data Price

MEU_21
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Ok, so this will not impact 99% of the Community, but here it is:

I was looking at a 150MB data only plan (no talk, no text)f or a 10-day period, which adds $10 to the plan for a total of $15.

Ironically, I could go with a base plan with nothing for $5, and add a data add-on of 200MB for $10, and a grand total of $10. An extra 50MB

Question: Why does 150MB data as part of a plan cost more than a 200MB add-on for $10?

I'm not saying that the add-on price should be increased, since I think it is already relatively expensive, but this much data as part of a 10-day plan should probably be around $5. It goes without saying, that a bare-bones plan with the add-on option is probably better for anyone considering a short-term data plan.

EDIT: Edited the price, argument still applies

5 REPLIES 5

It's no different than the $9 difference between the 3GB on 90 days, vs. the 6GB, in the province wide and global txt packages.  That works out to $3 per 1 GB per 30 days.  CRAZY!!!

WearySky
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Pricing is a voodoo marketing art, more than anything really logical.  You don't start questioning that stuff.  Yes, it's weird that it's $10 for 150MB as part of an ongoing plan vs $10 for 200MB as a data add-on, but who knows what dark sorcery was involved in coming up with those numbers??

I believe you would have to have talk or text to be able to add the data add-on.

Very interesting though, perhaps one of the oracles or mods @Shazia_K can clear this up.

MEU_21
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Well, for arguments sake, you could select text only as part of your plan, but have the add-on as the data. With the add-on, you still end-up with an extra 50MB for the same $10, all things being equal.

As to whether you actually have to select anything as part of a plan or just start with $5, I don't know. That's a good point.

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

The way I understand it is:

- $5 is the base (or activation) fee for 10days, to have a base plan you need to select at least one feature (talk, text or data).

- To have access to an add-on you need a base plan. So your $5 plus $10 200Mb add-on scenario doesn't work.

- Talk add-ons need an active talk base plan.

- The 200Mb an 1GB data add-on work without a data plan (so you can have, say, the talk&text promo and use the data add-on with that).

Edited to reflect edit in original post.

Need Help? Let's chat.