cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

What are the pioneer plans?

I am just curious, if anyone knows. (e.g., xx mins national calls, unlimited national text, 1GB data for xx price) 

Oracle

Re: What are the pioneer plans?

Pioneer = customers who joined before Jan 27/15. None of those plans are now available. If a pioneer chooses one of the current plans their pioneer plan is permanently removed and cannot be recovered.

>>> ALERT: I AM NOT A MODERATOR. JE NE SUIS PAS MODERATEUR.
Mayor / Maire

Adding to @Luddite's comment above, those plans included $19 unlimited talk, $25 Talk & text.  I don't remember the data plans.. but there were some talk+text+data plans for $40+.  All prices per 30 days. 

Legend

Hi,

I have the most expensive grandfathered plan, costing $60 per 30 days. It consists of:
1: unlimited Canada calling, including northern numbers
2: unlimited USA calling, including Alaska and Hawaii
3: unlimited global SMS
4: unlimited MMS to the USA
5: Voicemail
6: Call waiting, Call display, 3-Way conference calling, and Call forwarding to Canadian numbers
7: 2 GB of data

FYI.

Mayor / Maire

The most common data plan was the seond $40 option:

Unlimited Canada talk & text with 1GB data

There was an even earlier one but it is very rare today:

Unlimited Canada talk, text & data (!)

I suspect if anyone still has the unlimited data option it could sell for hundreds

Mayor / Maire

I don't think there was ever a truly unlimited plan ever offered. Before carriers were forced to change their ways and say upfront how much data customers could use, they sold "unlimited" data packages that still had a "fair use" limit of a few GBs.

I could be wrong about my assessment above, but it also seems counter-intuitive that there be any legacy truly unlimited plans still out there.

Legend

Hi 778,

I became a Public Mobile customer in August 2013, and had unlimited data. The two qualifiers were that no tethering was allowed, and, due to the fair-use policy, throttling of data occurred after one used a certain amount.

No such plan currently exists. 

FYI.

Mayor / Maire

@Martin Yep - I should have added the throttling bit. And such throttling does diminish the value of these legacy "unlimited" plans significantly. What was the Fair Use limit after which the throttling occurred - do you know?

Legend

Hi 778,

I believe that the fair-use limit wasn't specifically stated, other that the caveat that, if usage, when throttled, interfered with network efficiency, PM reserved the right to terminate data for as long as it deemed appropriate.

Rather than guessing, I'm going to try to obtain the policy, and return to this thread with the results, be they positive or negative.

I'll return in less than an hour.

Cheers.

Legend

Hi 778,

I found the PDF. The fair-use policy is formally called "Internet Traffic on Public Mobile's 3G Network".

The relevant section states that, though 30-day plans having 1 GB of data can use 3 GB at full speed, any data in excess of 3 GB will have its speed reduced to 100 kbps.

FYI.