cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Can I port a new number to grandfathered plan?

Hello, I have a $40/mo (1GB) grandfathered plan and I'd like to port in a different number. Can I do that, or is it considered a plan change (which would bump me to a new plan and $50/mo)?

As an additional complication, the account has been inactive for about 50 days (since Jan 1). I plan to reactivate before 90 days are up, but only want to do that if I can port in this other number.

Thanks!

Re: Can I port a new number to grandfathered plan?

You bet, you can do that without any worries, your account has not been inactive for 90 days, however it has to be in active state before porting your number from another company, if you cannot do it yourself online for any reason call care to let them do it for you, you must have account/pin/imei before calling PM care

Thanks, so I have to activate it first (by paying $40?) and then do the port? I don't think I set up a login for this phone before it went inactive.

Can I create the account now? I don't want to reactivate yet as I don't really need the phone until mid April. I know I have to activate by late March (at about 85 days from Jan 1, to be safe) so I'm throwing away most of a month. It's worth it if it can be $40/mo with a ported-in 613 number, but I didn't want to spend the $40 and then discover I have to keep the existing 647. My alternative is to sign up with Koodo's QC-only plan and an 819 Gatineau number. That's $45 ($50-10% BYOD) so it would take about 9 months to break even on PM@$40 (with a wasted first month) or Koodo@$45.

Thanks again!

To answer my own question, no I can't create an account because it asks for my PM number and my email address, and says it wants to send me a text with a 6-digit code. Which of course is impossible since the phone is inactive (also I'm outside PM coverage right now).

I didn't create an account in December because it didn't occur to me I could reactivate in late March. I assumed the account would be dead and I'd have to take whatever PM offered as a replacement. Foolish because it wouldn't have cost anything to set up. Smiley Sad

=aw

Legend

Hello,

Considering that you're grandfathered, I strongly suggest that you call 1-855-4PUBLIC to rectify your problem.

By the way, if you had a PM phone, the number would be *611.

Good luck.

Thank you, I called the number and it said I had to make a payment. Went through an agent because I didn't have a preauthorized credit card (don't know why, since I did pay back on Dec 1 or so).

Agent said he can't set up self-serve for me without me being able to receive a text message on the PM SIM, so I'll have to wait. He also said they can't port in a 613 number from voip.ms but I'm not sure that's right. I was hoping to do it now so the waiting period would start right away, but I guess I'll have to wait until self-serve is set up and then submit my request. No big deal but it means longer with the 647 number before the 613 ports over.

If I've missed any possibilities please let me know.

Thanks again!

=aw

Forgot to say (and can't edit?), I note that he didn't say "no, it's a grandfathered plan" just that he didn't think voip.ms worked as a releasing carrier.

=aw

On the port-in form, what do these fields represent?

Reseller name (if applicable):
Authorization Name:

IOW, what would typical entries be? e.g. where do we put "Rogers Wireless" if it's coming from there?

"Authorization Name"  seems to be mandatory, is that the carrier or the account holder?

Thanks!
=aw

Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I can't answer any of the other questions but where the Authorization Name Goes: As long as you are Authorized to make a Port Request that should be fine you don't have to be the account holder

Before U port your number check Elligibility here; https://secure.koodomobile.com/checktransfereligibilityparrot/default.do?lang=en&appname=otherportal or check it on your self. You'll also find answer to your above question in this link: http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/How-do-I-move-my-cell-phone-number-to-...