cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why unlocked verizon phone does not receive LTE?

mcaller
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I can make a call using PM sim on this phone. So, it is unlocked. while my old phone can receive LTE, why it does not receive LTE, instead only 3G? 

Also, dial *#06# not working, showing"connection problem or invalid MMI code".

On home screen, always show "SIM is not from verizon". 

About phone > status > IMS registration status, showing "not registered".

About phone > network > mobile network state, showing "disconnected".

but, About phone > network > service state, showing "In service".

26 REPLIES 26

tehowennathe
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Verizon phones use a slightly different LTE band then most carriers as they are a CDMA carrier. Their phones will include some other LTE bands so roaming can be done in countries that don't use CDMA. It may be that the bands used in Canada, similar to what would be used in US such as AT&T and T-Mobile may be missing. PM uses bands 2,4,5,7,12,13,17,29. If your phone is missing any of those your LTE coverage may not happen if area doesn't have any of those bands. Check if your phone has those bands. 

@mcaller the most likely reason is that Verizon has custom software to prevent LTE from working on the phone if you are using a non-Verizon SIM.

American operators are notorious for doing these types of things.

The only way around it is to re-flash the phone's firmware to a non-Verizon version. But this is not a simple task and is very risky.

I would avoid buying phones from AT&T and Verizon in the future. Probably Sprint too. I'm not too sure about T-Mobile.

Your phone's frequency bands are not the issue.

@GinYVR Bell and Telus have 3G and LTE on B5. Each technology is a separate 5 MHz channel.

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@mcaller wrote:

I can make a call using PM sim on this phone. So, it is unlocked. while my old phone can receive LTE, why it does not receive LTE, instead only 3G? 

Sim is not from verizon is just to bug you. It won't hurt. Verizon does that to the software.

@mcaller wrote:

LG-VS995

@mcaller I would take @popping  recommrndation and do a network reset on that device. A factory reset would be even better. Insert the PM sim and start the phone as a new setup.

If you dial *#*#4636#*#* and select phone infirmation what is listed under preferred network connection type?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mcaller wrote:

Thanks for all that. what about other problems in my post?

I'm not sure I would care. You probably only looked into all those things trying to figure out your data.

As long as calls in/out, texts in/out and internet browsing/MMS works...it's all good as far as I'm concerned. When they make a phone that can wash dishes let me know.

@mcallerIf it works like other Verizon phones (I had Nexus and iPhones with them before).. the short and easy answer is something you have to live with it... to the phone it is thinking you are just travelling in Canada and one day will return to the Verizon network.

However if you are handy with ADB, you can go to XDA and find a way to remove all the Verizon configurations etc bloatware with a factory firmware. However it won't change the frequencies / bands because those require different hardware antennas. Unless you have any sentimental connection to the phone, I would just replace the phone if you plan to be in Canada for a while.

For future reference: In US there are general 4 groups of phones.. Phones for AT&T, TMobile, Sprint and Verizon.. usually AT&T is the most compatible with Big 3, TMobile phones usually have band 66 needed for Freedom (optimally), Sprint and Verizon use CDMA so you would want to avoid if you are thinking about using in Canada.

mcaller

Thanks for all that. what about other problems in my post?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mcaller wrote:

but, 3g is slower and power consuming.

What plan are you on? Many people barely notice any difference using the phone for day to day internet. If you're streaming HD videos then sure that's going to have some lag on 3G.

But it still works on the PM network.. just not optimally.. actually 3G draws less power.

mcaller

but, 3g is slower and power consuming.

@AnonymousThey don't differentiate the 850 bands because it is assumed that Bellus has repurposed it for LTE.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mcaller wrote:

so, you mean that verizon phone's some antennas not working with other operators?

This seems to be a pretty good reference for towers. I'm in a rural area so the closest tower has 700, 850, 1900, 2100. Oddly, it doesn't differentiate 3G or LTE. 850 could be either.

@mcallerYes Verizon has a lot of pull in the US AND it uses the CDMA (still).. so manufactures like LG and Apple have specific models for that particular combination of factors to tailor to their network. eg in your model some antennas have been set aside for CDMA which has been phased out in Canada.

The thing is the compatiblity database is correct IT IS COMPATIBLE. It works on PM network, just not optimally ie LTE-A etc.

On the bright side you won't be bothered by Amber alerts in the middle of the night, and less draw on your battery.

mcaller

so, you mean that verizon phone's some antennas not working with other operators?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mcaller wrote:

yes. no band 12. is it much popular than other tower? maybe.

I'm no telecommunications expert but it's not about popular as it is more about what is on the towers that are in your area.

PM primarily uses 4, 5 and 12 for LTE.

mcaller

I set it to use LTE/others. There is no option to select LTE only. So, can not force it. After that setting, the network showing "3g  -93 db". So, no LTE. It is 3G.

LTE Band 5 is the same frequency as the 3G band. Telus repurposed it for LTE. You would want Band 12 for rural areas or if you want to use LTE-A.

Perhaps trying forcing the phone to use LTE only to see what happens.

Just note just because it is compatible.. doesn't mean it is optimal. There are only limited space in a phone for antennas.. For Verizon phones a few of antennas are for Verizon infrastructure. Just keep that in mind.

mcaller

yes. no band 12. is it much popular than other tower? maybe.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@mcaller wrote:

LG-VS995

You need to do a network reset on your LG VS995(V20) after changing provider in order for your data to work.  After network reset, restart your phone with data enabled.  PM SIM will initialized your APN as well.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mcaller wrote:

I set to use LTE or more others.

I checked on PM. passed.

Looks to me like it would work. V20 VS995

Are you saying data works when you set it to 3G but you don't get an LTE indicator (or data) when set to LTE (4G)?

It might be missing band 12 which may be what's on your relevant towers.

Edit: another source suggests it doesn't have band 5..again ...towers

Edit: LG themselves say 4, 5 but not 12

krazykiwi
Mayor / Maire

@mcaller wrote:

What makes you say it is not receiving LTE?

@mcaller wrote:

I checked on PM. passed.

Do not rely on the PM site for accurate compatability.

Check here https://willmyphonework.net/

mcaller

I checked on PM. passed.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@mcaller wrote:

@mcaller Two reasons;

1. Your phone is set to use 3G only

2. Your phone does not support the correct 4G bands

Did you check to make sure you phone was compatible with PM?

mcaller

LG-VS995

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@mcallerVerizon sells a lot of different model phones throughout the years.. what phone are you talking about?

Need Help? Let's chat.