cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

want to keep the same phone number

sroy_phr
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

I am cuurently using Huawei Y330U05 phone set. I have a different phone  set ( samsung galaxy grand prime) that is compatible with the network and I want to use that phone set instead. However, the samsung phone set has a smaller SIM slot. How can I use my samsung phone set with my existing  SIM/ new SIM card( I want to keep my phone number same as before).

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

Public Mobile SIM cards have "3-in-1" or "multi-fit" perforations which allow them to be broken down into all three standard SIM card sizes.

You can easily make them smaller.  That's how they were designed.

But you can't easily make them bigger.  They usually won't work after they've been separated, even if you put them back together again (you can buy adapters which allow smaller SIM card form factors to fit into larger SIM card slots, although these tend to be somewhat unreliable and they typically cost more than a new PM SIM card anyhow).

Your PM SIM card is linked to your PM account and your phone number - and you can't have more than one active SIM card simultaneously linked to the account and phone number, if you activate a new one then your old one becomes deactivated.

But, aside from these form-factor differences, you can freely transfer your PM SIM cards between any compatible devices.  You will of course need to configure your Samsung operator/APN software settings for Public Mobile (and restart it), it will then automatically use your existing PM account and phone number.  You can then freely transfer the same PM SIM card into any other unlocked Telus-compatible phone (with a compatible SIM card slot) if you wish.

You should be certain that your Samsung phone is compatible with the PM/Telus network and that it is not carrier-locked before cutting down your PM SIM card - it's a one-way move which would suck if your new phone doesn't work on PM while your old phone doesn't accept a (now) smaller SIM card.

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

Newer SIM cards are 3-in-1. Have a look and see if there is a line on yours that indicates the macro SIM frame. If so you can just punch out the smaller one.

If that is not the case you'll need to get a new SIM online or at Walmart, WoW or K-Mobile. You'll go into your self-serve account and change your SIM number there, put the right size of card into your phone. Done.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sroy_phr, you can either cut down the SIM card (lots of information on the internet),  or you can get a new SIM card, and update your account with the new SIM number from within your self serve portal. Your phone number will not be changed 

LEGO
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@sroy_phr You may safely change your SIM card to a new one (your phone number wont change), just need to update your SIM card info in Self-Serve, but new SIM car will cost you.

You can also go to any mobile stores, most of them have SIM cutters, they will cut it for you free of charge.

Most old SIM cards have large chip, those would not be possible to cut any smaller!

Need Help? Let's chat.