cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mayor / Maire

Re: voice call quality is not good

@jor123 wrote:

We really need VoLTE...

@jor123 agreed, but don't hold your breath.  And even at big-sister brands Telus and Koodo, VoLTE is only with approved hardware sold via Telus/Koodo.  So even if you've got a device which clearly supports it, you may still be out of luck.  (E.g. my OnePlus 5T.)  Very frustrating.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@srlawren wrote:

@jor123 wrote:

We really need VoLTE...

@jor123 agreed, but don't hold your breath.  And even at big-sister brands Telus and Koodo, VoLTE is only with approved hardware sold via Telus/Koodo.  So even if you've got a device which clearly supports it, you may still be out of luck.  (E.g. my OnePlus 5T.)  Very frustrating.

What rationale would they have for stopping otherwise VoLTE-supporting devices from having it just because it's not a particular model?

Mayor / Maire

@jor123 wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

@jor123 wrote:

We really need VoLTE...

What rationale would they have for stopping otherwise VoLTE-supporting devices from having it just because it's not a particular model?

Money, pure and simple? The providers (it's not just the Telus family) are making a chunk of money on the sale of carrier phones. Since they, officially, can't lock the phone anymore, they only provide "premium features" like VoLTE on phones they have sold to you.

Mayor / Maire

@jor123 wrote:

@jor123 I think the official line is something along the lines of the units they sell have their customized and tested software on it so they can assure compability or some such yada yada.  The real reason is probably more what @wetcoaster mentioned.  That, and wanting to keep support costs down.  If they opened up VoLTE to anyone with a compatible phone, and people with random phones started having issued with it that were really the phone's fault and not Telus', then they would incur support costs trying to help the customers with something that's not Telus' fault.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Highlighted
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

In the early days of VoLTE, there were a lot of issues with interoperability between phones and networks.

The Big 3 have been burned by a few models that performed poorly. This resulted in them being a bit too conservative, and now they want to pre approve every device before they allow VoLTE provisioning.

The phone doesn't have to be purchased from Telus, it just has to be the same model that they've tested and approved internally.

I would say these days the interoperability  is much less of an issue, so in my opinion the risk is low to open up VoLTE to all devices.