cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

voice call quality is not good

Iris01
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Background: I live in Toronto. the location is close HWY 404/Steels. Yesterday switch from freedom mobile.  my phone is LG G5. I test the network, the speed is ok. day time is 3M up/1.5M down; night time is 40M down/3M up.

I receive some calls. two caller tell me that they can't hear me. I move to other room. anyway, they are difficult to hear me. I can hear their voice clear. the singnal bar only one bar; sometime is two bars.

the voice call quality is very important to my job. how I to improve the call quality? thanks

21 REPLIES 21

@derekt it might be worth trying your SIM in a different type of phone to see if it makes any difference. Just in case your current phone's capabilities are a factor...

You will find that no matter the provider in certain situations, places etc. And depending upon the other persons provider. Your reception will  suck. @derekt Sorry to see you. Good luck with virgin.

@derekt wrote:

I guess I will try virgin mobile and see if that helps. 

derekt
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I guess I will try virgin mobile and see if that helps. 

No. The voice codec is negotiated dymanically between the phone, your network, and the network/phone of the other party. Have you ever noticed an "HD" icon on the screen during some calls? It's interesting you say the quality is different depending direction of the call...

derekt

Is there a way to adjust my phone? 

@derekt wrote:

I am in Toronto, when I call my brother in New Brunswick , he often sounds muffled. I have to hang up and call back many times. We have now discovered if he calls me, the quality is fine. He is with Virgin mobile. Same phones, same time ? Is Public mobile that bad? 

This sounds like you are hearing the difference between the regular 8Khz voice codec, and the 16Khz "HD Voice" (WB-AMR) codec. Normally, only calls between phone within the Telus network will support HD voice. (Telus, Koodo, Public Mobile). I am personally in Saskatchewan, and find that I can also get this codec when talking to Bell Mobility subscribers, but not SaskTel Mobility.

Some phones will show an "HD" icon on the screen if the call establishes with the higher quality codec.

derekt

I am in Toronto, when I call my brother in New Bruswich , he often sounds muffled. I have to hang up and call back many times. We have now discovered if he calls me, the quality is fine. He is with Virgin mobile. Same phones, same time ? Is Public mobile that bad? 

In the early days of VoLTE, there were a lot of issues with interoperability between phones and networks.

The Big 3 have been burned by a few models that performed poorly. This resulted in them being a bit too conservative, and now they want to pre approve every device before they allow VoLTE provisioning.

The phone doesn't have to be purchased from Telus, it just has to be the same model that they've tested and approved internally.

I would say these days the interoperability  is much less of an issue, so in my opinion the risk is low to open up VoLTE to all devices.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@jor123 wrote:

What rationale would they have for stopping otherwise VoLTE-supporting devices from having it just because it's not a particular model?

@jor123 I think the official line is something along the lines of the units they sell have their customized and tested software on it so they can assure compability or some such yada yada.  The real reason is probably more what @wetcoaster mentioned.  That, and wanting to keep support costs down.  If they opened up VoLTE to anyone with a compatible phone, and people with random phones started having issued with it that were really the phone's fault and not Telus', then they would incur support costs trying to help the customers with something that's not Telus' fault.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@jor123 wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

@jor123 wrote:

We really need VoLTE...

@jor123 agreed, but don't hold your breath.  And even at big-sister brands Telus and Koodo, VoLTE is only with approved hardware sold via Telus/Koodo.  So even if you've got a device which clearly supports it, you may still be out of luck.  (E.g. my OnePlus 5T.)  Very frustrating.

What rationale would they have for stopping otherwise VoLTE-supporting devices from having it just because it's not a particular model?

Money, pure and simple? The providers (it's not just the Telus family) are making a chunk of money on the sale of carrier phones. Since they, officially, can't lock the phone anymore, they only provide "premium features" like VoLTE on phones they have sold to you.

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@srlawren wrote:

@jor123 wrote:

We really need VoLTE...

@jor123 agreed, but don't hold your breath.  And even at big-sister brands Telus and Koodo, VoLTE is only with approved hardware sold via Telus/Koodo.  So even if you've got a device which clearly supports it, you may still be out of luck.  (E.g. my OnePlus 5T.)  Very frustrating.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@jor123 wrote:

We really need VoLTE...

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

jor123

We really need VoLTE...

Iris01
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I learned so much from thses replies, such as how to check cell tower location etc..also, I buy a signal booster, chang to a new cell phone. from the results, freedom signal is much better in my house location. installed booster, PM has two bar; freedom has five bars. no way, I have transfer back to freedom with new plan. 60/m, 18G LET data (tested 60M DOWN/17M UP); unlimited calling with free s10e phone.

thanks everyone who helped me.

@Iris01 wrote:

Background: I live in Toronto. the location is close HWY 404/Steels. Yesterday switch from freedom mobile.  my phone is LG G5. I test the network, the speed is ok. day time is 3M up/1.5M down; night time is 40M down/3M up.

I receive some calls. two caller tell me that they can't hear me. I move to other room. anyway, they are difficult to hear me. I can hear their voice clear. the singnal bar only one bar; sometime is two bars.

the voice call quality is very important to my job. how I to improve the call quality? thanks

You're on a full speed LTE plan? If those are both speed test results from the same type of network connection (eg. LTE), and it's in the the same place, that would indication some highly probable network congestion.   However, that doesn't necessarily correlate to a congested HSPA network, which is the network that is required for vocie calls.  If it is network congestion, that isn't something that you can control.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

If lte is good and 3g not, maybe it makes sense to try voip while you're at home. You can use something like fongo or textNow, forward your calls to it and test it. If that gives better sound you could user that while at home. Just don't forget to switch off the forwarding when you leave.

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

@Iris01 if you were using VoLTE on Freedom, your call quality would've been better.

PM doesn't have VoLTE yet, so it relies on 3G for voice calls. 3G voice is inferior in quality compared to VoLTE.

It's also possible that Freedom's coverage is better at your location compared to Bell.

austinhuang

@Iris01 wrote:

Here are a map of Bell (some) & Telus (none) cell towers close to 404/Steeles. (Bell & Telus uses each other's towers.)

If you have a reception problem, talk to Telus Assist (I did it last time over a Montreal issue).

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@Iris01 

Try turning off noise cancellation:

• Tap Settings
  • Select General
  • Choose Accessibility
  • At the bottom, you will find Phone Noise Cancellation 

Turn off Bluetooth, then restart your phone.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@Iris01 It seems like 3G signal is weak in your area while LTE seems to be okay. Since voice calls use 3G (HSPA) signal, you might have problem with calls. 

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@Iris01 wrote:

Try setting the phone network to 3G instead of auto or LTE; even though the phone should automatically switch to 3G for phone calls. Helps where I live. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.
Need Help? Let's chat.