cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

using existing sim in new phone

fun-monk
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

hi,

public mobile customer for over a year. my iphone 6 battery is wearing out so looking to continue with pm on new phone. i was gifted a used iphone 7, and tried to put my sim in it. sim won't work.

in the about section of the new phone, it says under carrier: public mobile 41.0. my current phone says in the same section: public mobile 35.0. so i thought the phone was already locked to pm and would work?

tried to unlock the iphone 7 in the chat bot ticket thing, seems that the imei isn't recognized because it would not let me proceed...

what do i need to do here? just don't know where to start. 

thanks very much anyone who can point me in the right direction

20 REPLIES 20

@LurganIeUk wrote:

if you want to change battery for about  $20 or less yourself. Some battery sellers include tools. I buy from eBay from a seller in Canada. The process is here https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+to+Replace+Your+iPhone+6+Battery/29363

I did try that ....once. That phone never did work again ! It's such a delicate operation even with all the special tools.

For me, it was worth $50 to have it done by a pro...with good eyes !

🤓

@fun-monk wrote:

@LurganIeUk 

didn't think to check the old sim lol. it looks like at&t? it doesn't say but it has a similar logo...

Send us a pic of it. 

Also go to settings, general, about, .....you will see carrier name in two spots. 

if you want to change battery for about  $20 or less yourself. Some battery sellers include tools. I buy from eBay from a seller in Canada. The process is here https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+to+Replace+Your+iPhone+6+Battery/29363

@geopublic wrote:

@fun-monk  It's the last carrier that you need to find out. They will send an unlock request to the Apple servers to unlock your phone using the IMEI that your provide them. If you can't contact the previous owner then there are utilities that will allow you to find out the carrier. Maybe even worthwhile calling Apple directly and see if they can help due to COVID-19.

You need to find what carrier the phone was originally purchased from if it is locked. Then approach that carrier to do a free unlock. If you know the carrier I have a list of carriers to do the Unlock over their chat option. 

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@fun-monk wrote:

hi,

public mobile customer for over a year. my iphone 6 battery is wearing out so looking to continue with pm on new phone. i was gifted a used iphone 7, and tried to put my sim in it. sim won't work.

in the about section of the new phone, it says under carrier: public mobile 41.0. my current phone says in the same section: public mobile 35.0. so i thought the phone was already locked to pm and would work?

tried to unlock the iphone 7 in the chat bot ticket thing, seems that the imei isn't recognized because it would not let me proceed...

Another option might be to call your local cell repair shop to see how much $$ to replace the battery. I had a recent replacement done for $50.

@fun-monk  Carrier settings can get updated via WiFi when the PM sim is in the phone. Your problem is that the phone is locked so it will not allow you to connect to Public's network.

fun-monk

@LurganIeUk 

didn't think to check the old sim lol. it looks like at&t? it doesn't say but it has a similar logo...

Try this site with imei. It may tell you it is unlocked or may tell you what carrier it is locked to. https://imei24.com/check/iphone_lock_checker/

Also in settings about.......what carrier do you see?

Was there a SIM card still in phone......if yes what carrier. 

As mentioned hook up phone to computer with iTunes and do a full reset. It will take awhile. If and only if Phone is unlocked the last screen will say Congratulations your iPhone is Unlocked. 

fun-monk

@geopublic thanks that is a good idea.

i figured it was this issue, but just curious, why does it say public mobile is the carrier in the about section of the iphone if the sim issue/message suggests otheriwise?

@fun-monk  It's the last carrier that you need to find out. They will send an unlock request to the Apple servers to unlock your phone using the IMEI that your provide them. If you can't contact the previous owner then there are utilities that will allow you to find out the carrier. Maybe even worthwhile calling Apple directly and see if they can help due to COVID-19.

@hairbag1 wrote:

@fun-monk wrote:

message i get after inserting sim:

SIM Not Supported

The SIM card that you currently have installed in this iPhone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. This is not a hardware issue with the iPhone. Please insert another SIM card from a supported carrier or request that this iPhone be unlocked by your carrier. Please contact Apple....

If you're able to contact the previous cell provider, they can give you a free unlock code.

There is no unlock code for iPhone. The carrier must submit a unlock request to Apple. 

fun-monk

@geopublic @ddeep91 

this phone has apparently changed hands a few times, and it is unclear who the original carrier was. i have been advised to google search free iemi checker to determine which carrier to contact, but these sites want payment to reveal the carrier and generally seem sketchy.

is there anything else i could do? can i contact each carrier with the iemi and ask that they unlock it until i find the right one?

@fun-monk  dial *#06# to find your imei number. Try the iTunes trick first.

ddeep91
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@fun-monk wrote:

SIM Not Supported

The SIM card that you currently have installed in this iPhone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. This is not a hardware issue with the iPhone. Please insert another SIM card from a supported carrier or request that this iPhone be unlocked by your carrier. Please contact Apple....

That means your new iPhone is actually locked to a different provider.
Check your IMEI to see which provider it's locked to.

@fun-monk wrote:

SIM Not Supported

If you're able to contact the previous cell provider, they can give you a free unlock code.

@fun-monk wrote:

SIM Not Supported

@fun-monk  That means the phone is locked to the previous provider. You need to get the person that gifted you the phone to call their provider and ask them to unlock the phone.

fun-monk

@geopublic 

SIM Not Supported

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@fun-monk try using this method to push through the changes and to confirm and reset the SIM sync to iTunes
1. Insert new working SIM - do not turn phone on (if SIM is already in, turn off)
2. Connect to computer with USB cable.
3. Start iTunes if it doesn't auto run
4. iPhone will switch on. Wait until iTunes registers it and checks for updates
5. Install the carrier profile update (if offered)

Disconnect and reboot. From @luddite.

ddeep91
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@fun-monk 

Pm does not sell phones, so the phone can not be locked to  PM's Network.
The phone could be locked to a different provider,  you can check the provider that the phone is locked to by google search "Free IMEI checker". 

you can get your phone unlocked for free if it's locked to a different provider by calling/chatting with that cell phone provider.

If your phone is not locked you can try to do a  SIm reset Trick by following the steps below. 

This trick resets your SIM/phone.

To report your phone lost/stolen.   

1. Login to your account.  
  2. Choose Plans and Add-ons tab.
  3. Then choose Lost/Stolen Phone tab.  
  4. Then choose the Suspend Service tab.  Then Logout.
  5. Wait a few minutes and log back in and report your phone found. 
  6. Reboot phone.

let us know if this helps

cheers

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@fun-monk wrote:

hi,

@fun-monk  From what you describe the iPhone 7 is not locked and should work on Public's network. What happens when you insert your SIM. Can you connect to the PM network? If not, what message is it displaying?

Need Help? Let's chat.