cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unlocked phone has been locked to PM

HugDiane
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

My previously unlocked iPhone5 has been locked to PM and I am unable to use my other SIM card (traveling abroad). Can you please re-unlock my phone?

12 REPLIES 12

@HugDiane wrote:

its never been factory reset

That may be the problem. Some older model iPhone devices require a factory reset and being connected to iTunes before an unlocking takes effect.

Please remember to back up any data that you wish to keep before trying such a procedure.

zero_gravity
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm wondering if it was ever unlocked to begin with. You said that you had someone unlock it for you. Maybe they didn't do the job? Not everyone is honest....

Still, if it was locked I wouldn't think it would work with PM even though it is still a Telus company. I could be wrong here.

As mentioned, when a phone is unlocked there is no relocking it. Doesn't matter if you do a factory reset.

I did this with my old phone that was locked to bell. I used a website that send you the unlock code for $20. This was before the telecoms were forced to do it for free. It wasn't the most stable phone at the time so it saw multiple factory resets after being unlocked and never reverted.

After that I had enough of the instability and then rooted the phone and installed a custom rom which was much better. Still, it remained unlocked.

As mentioned, there should be no need to pay to unlock now even if you are not the original owner. All you need to do is contact the telecom that originally sold it. They might try to argue, just be firm with them. This was a CRTC mandate so they don't have a choice.

DL888
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Way back I got an iPhone from Bell, then had it replaced by Apple under warranty and when they offered free unlocking, Bell refused to unlock my phone because the phone wasn't the one I got from them. I had to go through hoops and got Apple to provide me with an invoice for the replacement before Bell would unlock it. Hopefully Telus is easier.

@GinYVR wrote:

@HugDianeWho did you pay to get the phone unlocked? If it is a 3rd party, there is a chance the lock could get reverted, as they are often unauthorized.

Where did you did up this?  I have never heard of it.  If you obtain the right unlock code, it will work.  There is no relocking.

@HugDianeWho did you pay to get the phone unlocked? If it is a 3rd party, there is a chance the lock could get reverted, as they are often unauthorized.

If you have a second line, call them on that so you can see your phone is unlocked when they are done.

HugDiane

ok will try that thanks

https://www.telus.com/en/bc/support/article/unlock-mobile-device

It's free now, so just call Telus and they'll unlock it again if it relocked to them somehow.

HugDiane

its never been factory reset

HugDiane

Hi - yes it was with Telus originally however i paid to have it unlocked a couple years ago (before switching to PM). It has never been used with another carrier.

If your previous provider was Telus, it would still work with PM yet still be locked to Telus. 

If you did a phone reset, maybe it locked back to another original provider.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

PM does not lock phones.  Did you have another provider ?  

Need Help? Let's chat.