cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unable to change APN

celidhkk
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

signed up last week and got my phone working. Got a new phone (moto G8 power lite) this week, put the sim card in and now cannot send pictures. I've gone through how to set up the APN, but on this phone it doesn't seem to allow me to change or add an APN.

Settings > More / More Networks / Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names > New APN setting (or a plus sign)

I can get right up to the "access point names", but then there is no way for me to alter anything or to click to create a new APN setting. Everything I see is light grey (not clickable) and in the top right corner where the three little dots are for more options, the only option I have is to reset to default.

158 REPLIES 158

lordmoneybag

yes  it quite  unfortunate  indeed that i jave to find the simcard of another provider that doesnt exist here,just to use my PM simcard.i hope the tech département  (if there is any) hurries up to resolve this,as new phones  are coming out with ansroid 9.they will lose a lot !  of customers!!

lordmoneybag

well if the chatr simcard has the right settings for the phone.ill just use them as provider 

Metal1967
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Some people have no luck.. between 8 family members.. over the space of a few years.. have used every phone under the sun.. not one issue at PM that wasn’t my/our own fault.. sucks to have issues...

BeachNBeer

@lordmoneybag I don't believe a chatr some will work. You need a freedom sim.

lordmoneybag

i cant believe i need to repeat this again. i have did exactly  what u said. but the moderator said he coudlnt find an apn file. it also seems as he did t bother clicking the link to this thread ,as he did a repeat  of the conversation  we just had.

tommorow i will be trying a chatr simcard.if their apn settings  work,ill just move my number back to them

@lordmoneybag  When messaging the moderators just include a link to this thread as a reference and ask them to text you the file.

lordmoneybag

i have done this alresdy,the moderator who has responded to me,was not very much help,other than suggesting what has been said here. i have also tried to pm ana,and no reaponse from her yet....

I am very dissatisfied withhow this company is run. if there is already a solution to this,they should make it readily available for every customer. without having this constant back and forth. i want the file. i sont want to have to spend on a simcard that i wont use.because the company decided to lock in the wrong apn settings... -_'

brettster99

@lordmoneybag 

You need to create a ticket and deal with them directly. Use the ? On the bottom right or the envelope button on top right to send them a message.

Response time Varys but can be between 2 and 48 hours. 

@lordmoneybag wrote:

well we need a more dynamic solution to this. ive been without the internet for 2 weeks now. im gonna lose my job. there ia no freedom mobile sime card in my town.CAN A MODERATOR SEND ME THE FILE ASAP PLEASE!!!!what kind of slow company is this.HELLO I NEED SOMEONE COMPETENT TO RESOLVE THIS ISSUE NOW PLEASE. 

maybe ill just go back to another provider....

You have to contact and deal with moderators directly...they don't bother with the forum here for helping customers.

lordmoneybag

well we need a more dynamic solution to this. ive been without the internet for 2 weeks now. im gonna lose my job. there ia no freedom mobile sime card in my town.CAN A MODERATOR SEND ME THE FILE ASAP PLEASE!!!!what kind of slow company is this.HELLO I NEED SOMEONE COMPETENT TO RESOLVE THIS ISSUE NOW PLEASE. 

maybe ill just go back to another provider....

@lordmoneybag wrote:

hi,thabks for all the tips. is there any chance you still have that file, i just bought  a g8 power lite too and im having the same issue. i wrote to public mobile,but they dont know ana or which file i was talking about...

Typically the file is send attached to a text message and once applied for some reason it disappears.

As for Ana, she is definitely still there as I just had an interaction with her last week. But there may be other mods that can help.

@Jb456

I believe the file was sent via text message.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Or maybe...pm-smayer97??

But there are still the other workarounds available aren't there? Freedom or Roam or a couple other SIM's. Switching SIM tray's like a few posts back. Or that app that someone used to open the hotspot...maybe it does APN too.

Sounds like PM should make a downloadable link with the file. Would be quicker and it would not take up moderator's time.

@lordmoneybag 

Contact the moderators. Ask them to contact Ana and refer to or give them a link to this thread. They should be able to then send you the file  or have Ana contact you when she's working.

lordmoneybag

sweet,how do i get i  contact with @Ana

@lordmoneybag @Cryonidas @celidhkk 

From the previous page in this thread refer to this thread and ask for Ana to reply to your request or for the moderator to contact her for the file.

Yes, after pointing the moderator to your advice, they were able to send me an APN file to fix a disabled APN on a Moto G8. The moderator's name is Ana.

lordmoneybag

hi,thabks for all the tips. is there any chance you still have that file, i just bought  a g8 power lite too and im having the same issue. i wrote to public mobile,but they dont know ana or which file i was talking about...

@Cryonidas 

What's the make and model of your phone?

Cryonidas

@pm-smayer97 I have the same problem and I tried everything in this forum. What kind of file did you get to solve your problem?

jdmac308
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Posting this in case anyone else encounters the same problem I had. Most likely not the best solution but here are some things to try if you have a Motorola G8 Power Lite.

The issue I had was a newly purchased Motorola G8 Power Lite would not connect to Public Mobile APN/Data connection. Going to Settings->Network & Internet-> Mobile Network->Advanced->Access Point Names did not show the "+" in the top right to add a new APN, (this was coming from Koodo so Telus APNs were already there but could not be edited). I tried two things at once;

First, I had a second active SIM card so I swapped the positions so the Public Mobile SIM was in the backup/second slot. This activated the dual SIM options in the phone so I selected the Public Mobile SIM as the active data connection. With this selected, the "+" was available in the APN settings menu so I could add the Public Mobile APN settings as outlined in a previous post in this thread.

The second thing I did was remove the other SIM card but leave the Public Mobile SIM in the backup/secondary slot. The SIM is now making the data connection without issue as the only installed SIM card.

If you are having the same problems, at least try swapping the SIM to the secondary slot, otherwise, using another active SIM in the primary slot should help resolve the issue.

tblaing

@pm-smayer97 

@darlicious 

Yes, after pointing the moderator to your advice, they were able to send me an APN file to fix a disabled APN on a Moto G8. The moderator's name is Ana.

Yay!

@darlicious wrote:

@tblaing 

Wow thats awesome......a long lost solution reappears! Do share the mods name!

@pm-smayer97 

I  thought your fix was lost forever.....this will save a whole lot of time and frustration for new customers or new owners of ths model of phone.

True, if only more people AND MODS believed what I said and stop pushing to have to force a reset of the phone.

That said, it is an aging phone, stuck on Android 6 (unless you do a hack upgrade to v7). So, its days are numbered (I've already started running into apps that require v7 min. to run 😞  ). But if this problem arises with any other phone, it surely is something else worth trying before a full reset.

EDIT: I just re-read this...someone in the thread mentioned an LG phone so I originally thought it was for the same brand (mine is an LG G4) but I see this problem is being asked of a MODERN Moto G8...  SO this solution works for OTHER PHONES TOO! 

Pay attention all those who are reading this thread...

@tblaing 

Wow thats awesome......a long lost solution reappears! Do share the mods name!

@pm-smayer97 

I  thought your fix was lost forever.....this will save a whole lot of time and frustration for new customers or new owners of ths model of phone.

@tblaing wrote:

@pm-smayer97  @darlicious  after some back and forth with a moderator yesterday I pointed them to our discussion and asked them to send me the APN file. It worked! Thanks everyone for your help.

SO VERY glad it worked for you too! 

Please share the name of the mod, just in case it helps.

tblaing

@pm-smayer97  @darlicious  after some back and forth with a moderator yesterday I pointed them to our discussion and asked them to send me the APN file. It worked! Thanks everyone for your help.

@darlicious wrote:

@tblaing 

There was another way where the moderators would send you a certain kind of file but its no longer available.?. I think @pm-smayer97  did it that way a long time ago.....

Yes, I was fortunate to find a mod that simply sent me the APN as a file and once I applied it that corrected everything WITHOUT having to reset my phone.

And NO manual entries would work but this did. I cannot remember the name of the mod but I did post in somewhere in the forum.

tblaing

@darlicious thanks for the tip. I will follow these instructions when I get my Freedom card. Cheers.

@tblaing 

Theres a bit of a process to get them to not disappear but it can definitely be done as this post in that other thread affirms....

Re: Umidigi X - APN settings

I just purchased an Umidigi X phone. I can confirm that the instructions for adding APNs through ADB shell command does not work. However, I did have a Freedom Sim Card which I popped into the phone and that allowed me to add new APNs. After adding the APN for Public Mobile with the Freedom Sim Card still inserted, you will not see it even after clicking the "save"

option. However, as soon as you insert the Public Mobile SIM card it will show the APN that you previously saved. My data is working flawlessly.

If you have trouble the techie ones here can help you through the details. I wouldnt be surprised if @jb456 has this one in his back pocket now.

tblaing

thanks @gblackma  and @darlicious . I will give the Freedom SIM a try. I tried Koodo SIM and it did not help.

Need Help? Let's chat.