cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tethering and hotspot stopped working (no DNS)

Alexo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I just returned from a trip to the US, where I was using the US 10 days data booster, tethered to my laptop.

Now both tethering and hotspot speed working -- it is possible to connect to the phone and ping various addresses, but no DNS resolution.  The problem happens with both my laptop tethered via USB and with my son's iPhone.

To reiterate: it worked fine before we left, it worked fine in the US, it stopped working when we returned to Canada.

No settings were changed.

@CS_Agent, please assist

7 REPLIES 7

Alexo

The moderator team is always busy.

This excuse is wearing thin.

@Alexo wrote:

@Moderator_Team, it's been 3 days since I reported the problem.  It requires your involvement.  Please respond.

@Alexo

Have you just tagged them here or have you sent them a private message?

The later is the better choice to contact the moderator team - specially in times like this when they are really busy catching up on issues related to the very popular promos, which they do on a first come first serve basis.

Use this link to send a private message to the @Moderator_Team, include all relevant information in your message, such as account number, account PIN, phone number, detailed problem description.

More information on contacting the mods: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Updated-Contacting-our-Community-Moder...

Alexo

@Moderator_Team, it's been 3 days since I reported the problem.  It requires your involvement.  Please respond.

Alexo

I am using my android phone both to tether my laptop via USB, and as a wireless hotspot for other devices (including iPhones).

The workaround you suggested will not work in the second case.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Alexo

1.  If your phone did not provide DNS, you need to supply DNS on your laptop network adaptor configuration.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-your-pcs-dns-settings-windows-10

2.  Are you using iPhone or Android to tether to your laptop?

Alexo

Texting seems to work just fine.

The plan was purchased on Thursday, so it's only been 5 days (PM's US boosters suck compared to Koodo's non-expiring ones).

Not being able to use tethering/hotspot for 5 more days is not an acceptable solution.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Alexo, there is a known issue where texting does not work when someone returns from the US, and had a texting roaming plan that has not fully expired.  perhaps this is a similar situation.  Has it been 10 days since you purchased the roaming plan?

Need Help? Let's chat.