cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

switching in from another service provider

lkwok
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

if i switch one of the public mobile plans, can i retain the current cell phone number with another service provider?

17 REPLIES 17

A couple more pieces of advice in porting your number to public mobile...if you do it yourself. Make sure your phone is unlocked. Otherwise phone your provider to get unlocking code and enter it in your phone before starting. Always best to clear your browser/cache and use incognito/secret mode to do your activation. Be patient and if something messes up during activation like a weird error msg or it won't accept certain info like d.o.b. it's the pm site being glitchy. Sign out wait one hour and start again. Good luck and welcome to public mobile.

P.s. get a referral code and and any promo codes get entered on the pick a plan page

RoxxyB7699
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

it was super easy to swtch i was actually surprised,  just make sue your other carrier account is still active then go buy a sim hop online follow the steps and within minutes your good to go and your other carrier will cancel your account,  just make sure your up to date with the other carrier

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

Glad you got your answers. The fact the associate asked you to ask PM concerns me. Is your previous provider the concern? For instance, if it is Koodo Prepaid, the port has to be completed through a Moderator? I'm wondering if he or she was referring to this?

dickwong
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

yes you can.  be reminded to not cancel service with your existing service provided before PM got your number and service gets started here.

lkwok

thanks to all!!

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Easiest way to do it is buy a public mobile sim card...gononline and activate it yourself...pick a new numberwhen signing up..

When account is created..log into your self serve account and you will have the option to change your number...that's when you will port your number over to public mobile.

By doing it this way. If there is an error in system when signing up you won't loose your phone number that you want to keep and it will still be active on old provider until it's ported over.

@lkwok wrote:

thanks, maybe to clarify, i plan to switch from another company to Public and wanted to bring that cell number over to the Public Mobile plan.  It looks like you may be addressing a question of switching from Public to another provider.  But based on your answer, it would work for my question as well?  I suppose folks at the Public Mobile store would be able to park over?  I'm not sure as i had stopped by a store yesterday and the guy there asked to ask Public whether it is possible...

@lkwok wrote:

ok, so it can be done.  however the guy at the store i talked to yesterday didn't know and asked me to phone Public.(i found it on Public's own store finder site, it surprised me as not a Public branded store but a small "gadget" store that carries Public Mobile plans...)   

So, does it mean that i just need to find a larger store?  which one would you recommend, near downtown toronto?

@lkwok  Best to check the main website they have a store location finder. Just enter your postal code and a list will come with all the locations.

lkwok

saw the newly posted comments posted while i was typing my last post.  i believe my quesitons are answered now, thanks to all!!

lkwok

ok, so it can be done.  however the guy at the store i talked to yesterday didn't know and asked me to phone Public.(i found it on Public's own store finder site, it surprised me as not a Public branded store but a small "gadget" store that carries Public Mobile plans...)   

So, does it mean that i just need to find a larger store?  which one would you recommend, near downtown toronto?

@lkwok wrote:

thanks, maybe to clarify, i plan to switch from another company to Public and wanted to bring that cell number over to the Public Mobile plan.  It looks like you may be addressing a question of switching from Public to another provider.  But based on your answer, it would work for my question as well?  I suppose folks at the Public Mobile store would be able to park over?  I'm not sure as i had stopped by a store yesterday and the guy there asked to ask Public whether it is possible...

@lkwok Yes it is possible, it called porting you number and can be done during your PM activation. Just give the person at the kiosk the details. You will need your previous providers account number, name on the Account and phone number and tbey will set it up for you. Another option is to select a temporary number during activation and setup the port yourself by accessing your online account via selfserve.

goldilock
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@lkwok  Yes you should be able to port over your phone number from another cellular company, as long as your accoiunt and services with the other company are current and active.  Do not tell them that you are leaving.  All you need to do is get a public mobile sim card (at a store, you can purchase online from the public mobile website or purchase from amazon) and when you active it online, it will ask you if you want a new phone number or to port a number over. You need the account number, name on the account of the company you are with, and follow the steps online.

As soon as you active your SIM card with public mobile, you will be able to make calls and texts right away, but won't be able to receive calls and texts to your number as it's still attached to your old company. You can keep using that SIM card until the port is complete (after your old cellular company releases your phone number to public mobile and closes your account). 

Usually a port takes a few hours, to a day, depending on which company you are porting from. However if it's Koodo you will need moderator assistance to complete the port.  Home and voip ports take longer, a few days to a week.

You will receive a text from public mobile once the port is successful! Welcome to public mobile. 

PS You can sign up for auto-pay and you will receive $2 off each month! 

GR
Mayor / Maire

@lkwok  yes for sure it's possible!  If you're not sure to do it yourself at home just go to a store and get it activated there! 

lkwok

DL888
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

The provider you are moving away from need to continue to be active else you will loose your number before it can be ported over to your new provider.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Actually can you clarify your question as reading it again it's a bit confusing.

Title says "switch in from another provider".

Then what you wrote sounds like switching out??

Regardless either way you do it you have to keep account active till number is ported over 

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Yes..make sure you keep public mobile account active so you don't loose your phone number until number is switched to new provider.

Switch to new provider and have them port your number over

Need Help? Let's chat.