cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

switch from galaxy S5 mini to S7 and change of simcard

jeleternal
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I changed my sim card due to a change of phone from galaxy S5 Mini to S7.  I am unable to get PM network on the phone and not able to use the phone.  There is PM coverage in my area.  Please I need help .  Thanks

13 REPLIES 13

@jeleternal wrote:

yes I got it from ebay(used, unlocked).  I bought another sim card  from walmart. I can not make phone calls, text or do anything with it.  when I tried making  a phone call it said mobile network not available / out of service area but my area has coverage.

As I mentioned earlier, try the old sim in your new phone. If that is not possible for some reason, you must change your current sim number to new one from self-serve account. 

GreatCanadian
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

OP I think @Tav has nailed down where you should start. First of all, you need to try your OLD sim card in your new phone. I don't know why you purchased a new sim. If you did, then it will need to be activated using the "Change Sim Card" link on the overview page when you log in to your self-serve account. Try that for starters, and let us know if it worked.

GC

Tav
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@jeleternal wrote:

yes I got it from ebay(used, unlocked).  I bought another sim card  from walmart. I can not make phone calls, text or do anything with it.  when I tried making  a phone call it said mobile network not available / out of service area but my area has coverage.

Did you activate your new sim card? Why was the new sim card purchased? your old sim should have worked if its not super old as they punch out.

hzmy

@jeleternal wrote:

Did you try the lost/stolen trick to reactivate your service?

jeleternal
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@jeleternal if you bought this phone second hand (I don't think there's many brand new S7's floating around), another possibility is that you were scammed and the person reported the phone to their carrier as stolen, putting it on the blacklist.

We need more details about the symptoms.  Are any services working at all--e.g. can you talk but not text or data?  Can you talk and text but no data?  Is only data working?  other____?  Do you see any error messages?  Do you see the "public mobile" carrier name in the SIM settings or notification shade area?  Does it say emergeny calls only?  What are you seeing??

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jeleternal wrote:

I changed my sim card due to a change of phone from galaxy S5 Mini to S7.  I am unable to get PM network on the phone and not able to use the phone.  There is PM coverage in my area.  Please I need help .  Thanks

@jeleternal:

If you need help...where'd you go?!

All kinds of ideas in your thread.

I'm still wondering why you got another SIM. You should have been able to just move your existing SIM over to the other phone.

Manually scan for networks and pick this one.

Also check willmyphonework.net to verify that your exact model of phone will work here.

Shutdown

Change your S7 settings to telus if it's not. Samsung phone has specific setups for every carrier.

hzmy

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@jeleternal wrote:

@jeleternal, if you  purchased the phone second hand and was told it was unlocked it is known that many Samsungs that are sold unlocked will lock to the first sim network that is placed in it.  

I think if the phone is locked, the user will be prompted to input the unlock code, and @jeleternal should notice that already.

I suspect it is some other issue.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@jeleternal wrote:

@jeleternal, if you  purchased the phone second hand and was told it was unlocked it is known that many Samsungs that are sold unlocked will lock to the first sim network that is placed in it.  

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@jeleternal wrote:

Will the new SIM card work io your s5 mini?

If yes, it is the S7 problem 

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@jeleternal Is your S7 unlocked or locked to koodo/telus? Put the sim back in your old phone and see if it works. The sim is triple punched so you can make it bigger and punch it out to make it nano size. 

hzmy

@jeleternal wrote:

Did you try the lost/stolen trick to reset the signal?

Also, when you say changed a SIM, I would assume it is the same card? Or different?

Need Help? Let's chat.