cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sim not supported

Corrie2
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I lost my phone. I got a new sim and activated it with my existing number. I got a used iphone and when i put the sim in it, it said the phone did not support this carrier. I called Apple but they said i needed to get public mobile to fix it.  Is this something i can fix or do i need the phone unlocked? It was previously on the Rogers network.

14 REPLIES 14

@BlueB wrote:

@softech 

I agree - often the easiest way these days is to pay a 3rd party to unlock the phone.  You don't have to deal with a huge hassle of calling,

With most phones no longer need unlock code these days, it is harder to find places  that offer the service. 

@BlueB 

Those are 4 powerful letters to remember when negotiating with a mobile provider.

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@darlicious 

You won't come after me if we're on the same side!  Time to start buying you cookies and flowers....... 😄

On a serious note though - it's good information as it's been a while since I've thought of the CCTS, and even so, haven't had much experience with them.  Here's to hoping I won't need that information anytime soon!

@BlueB 

Lol....watch out for "Dirty Hairy Dar"....shes coming for you!😎

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@softech 

I agree - often the easiest way these days is to pay a 3rd party to unlock the phone.  You don't have to deal with a huge hassle of calling, waiting on hold, then fighting your case.  It's good in principle to have the original carrier unlock it (eg. Rogers) but sometimes it's not a battle worth fighting.  However........

@darlicious 

I guess it's obvious not to mess with you!  Maybe you should start a consulting or other "service" where we pay you to do our dirty work.  You seem to describe it so well... it's almost scary.  lol  🙂  (Good advice, btw!)

@CountyDownIeUk wrote:

Apple does NOT unlock. All iPhones  they have sold from day 1 are unlocked. 

Technically they sold locked phone.

The phone itself was unlocked of the box, but the phone was set to locked to the first sim used on the phone.  So, when you bought the phone, inserted a Telus SIM to activate, it is then locked to Telus from that moment

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Corrie2 wrote:

I lost my phone. I got a new sim and activated it with my existing number. I got a used iphone and when i put the sim in it, it said the phone did not support this carrier. I called Apple but they said i needed to get public mobile to fix it.  Is this something i can fix or do i need the phone unlocked? It was previously on the Rogers network.

@Corrie2 

Does any other provider SIM work in this phone (do you have one to test it out)?

Check if your phone is blacklisted here: https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/

@CountyDownIeUk wrote:

@walker1 wrote:

@Corrie2 

Please contact both Rogers and Apple and see if they'll give you the unlock code for free.

It may be a little tricky if you weren't a Rogers customer or didn't buy the phone directly from Apple. But worth a try.

Apple has sold carrier locked devices directly to customers.  I will admit that hasn't been the case for a few years, but it used to be that the Apple Store would activate carrier plans for customers and have seperate pricing for locked devices.  They would marked the IMEI of the device as carrier locked when the transaction was finalized.

@walker1 wrote:

@Corrie2 

Please contact both Rogers and Apple and see if they'll give you the unlock code for free.

It may be a little tricky if you weren't a Rogers customer or didn't buy the phone directly from Apple. But worth a try.

@softech 

Before or after December 2017 Rogers has to supply the unlocking code.

@Corrie2 

I will give you the same advice I just gave @Meow :

What rogers is telling you is BS....doesnt matter if you never had an account with them....it could have been a corporate account that was never in your name. Call them back and ask for the unlock code. If they refuse tell them you will be making a CCTS complaint and you intend to take it to the final decision which will incur a penalty, compensation and a black mark on their record. 

When you tell them this is not the first time you have done this and won't be the last. You are the type of consumer who is willing to go the extra mile to hold mobile providers responsible when they break the WCC regulations.

You should get an unlocking code in short order....

Tell them at the beginning of the phone call that you are recording the conversation for future reference as an added incentive.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Corrie2 how old was the iPhone and when did you buy it from Rogers?  If it is after 2017, Rogers should provide you the unlock code.  It is true that if you are not their customer now they might give you tough time.  But you can demand for one as any phone should after 2017 should be sold unlocked.

(and yes, PM would not be able to help in this case)

or if you don't want to fight , some site can provide unlock code for around $10-$20.   Or you can check with local mobile stores a well.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Corrie2 

maybe this is will help you but if your device is locked this not help,

and you can try to reset network settings on an IPhone

Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords,

or visit  Here link, 

and go Changing APN Settings On An IPhone

click Here link, 

walker1
Mayor / Maire

@Corrie2 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Corrie2 

you need to contact Rogers to unlocked for you for free,

All wireless devices sold after December 1, 2017, must be unlocked or sold with instructions on how to unlock the device at no additional cost. All wireless devices that are locked to a carrier must be unlocked upon request at no cost to the consumer.

CRTC bans cellphone unlocking fees, orders all new devices be unlocked

Need Help? Let's chat.