cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: sim not detected by the ph

https://www.technipages.com/how-to-know-if-your-phone-is-unlocked

After scanning for network manually, the only network that comes up is Rogers.

I'm sure Fido has locked my phone.

But the problem is Fido aren't accepting the phone is locked by them

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@ninoron  if inserting the PM sim and the phone says emergency calls only. There are two reasons for this. Either the phone is blacklisted or phone is locked. 

Who did you originally get the phone from? Fido? .  Whoever you originally got the phone from is the one that will give you the unlock code.

As for the unlock code. It's not something they do to unlock the phone like an Apple product. They have to give you like an 8 or 10 digit number. Then when you put a sim card in from another network and turn the phone on. A message would display like. " Enter network unlock pin"...you type the code they gave you and hit enter then the phone is unlocked.

Does a message like this (or other wording message besides emergency calls only) appear on your phone?

Do you ever recall getting an unlock code (like 8 or 10 digits) from the provider you originally got the phone from and typing the code into your phone? 

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@ninoron wrote:

Did you ever get a chance to download and install the Radio Switcher app from the Play Store? It will give you a drop down list of possible network types to connect to. It's odd that that option is not available in the networks area that you did scan manually.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@ninoron 

go to this website and unlock your phone

https://www.imei.info/unlock/

you'll have to pay $15-20

Highlighted
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ninoron wrote:

Only one network showing up in a manual network scan isn't a matter of a phone being locked to a carrier. The phone only reports what networks are there in a manual network scan. Since your phone is only showing Rogers, this is because of the previosuly determined matter of your phone being set to only connect to 2g networks. That isn't what carrier locking is.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@ninoron 

Rogers is the only remaining mobile provider in Canada still running and maintaining a 2G network.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@ninoron 

See if this will fix your issue and get you out of 2G mode.....

http://www.feelzdroid.com/2015/08/how-to-force-android-phone-to-use-3g-wcdma-mode.html

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@ninoron  was reading a bit on Nokia 3 phones from India. Seems like they either come single or dual sim. 

Is yours dual sim by chance? If so, do you keep your India sim card in one of the slots? I've read that in July there were over 300 million people in India on 2g network. If your phone is a dual sim and you have the India sim card in one slot it's likely for a 2g network and maybe that is what is causing your phone to have greyed out preferred network options?

If yours is dual sim. Can you turn your phone off, take the India sim out completely and put the PM sim in slot 1? Turn phone on and see what happens. 

I've also read on one forum sometimes resetting the network settings the greyed out setting will go away for preferred network and it will let you pick a new Network then once that selection is made they go back to greyed out. Worth trying?

Also is your Nokia fully up to date?

Below I believe this is what is in @darlicious  link. 

Open the dialpad.

Type in *#*#4636#*#*

It should open a testing page (hopefully)

Select phone information then see if you can change the network from there.

And well if worse comes to worse maybe consider backing up, saving your stuff and doing a factory reset WITH PM sim card in. A factory reset will wipe everything from the phone and reinstall everything so ensure you save everything first.

Reading all this thread again and seeing you mention the phone is originally from India. Then it was likely unlocked in India. Once unlocked a provider cannot re-lock it. So Fido wouldn't be able to help if the phone is originally from India but since it's working in Canada on Fido /Chatr then it likely means the India phone is unlocked.

Keep us posted.

Need Help? Let's chat.